Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Final year project. Need help deciding on apps and research material for mixing and matering.๐Ÿ™๐Ÿผ

edited November 2020 in General App Discussion

Hi everyone
Iโ€™m in my final year at uni.
For my final year project, Iโ€™ve decided to make an Ep using my iPad only and would be uploading videos of my creation, from composing to mastering on my YouTube channel.
The daw i will be using is Cubasis 3 with wave plugins.
The effects i currently own are the following:
Fac Bandit
Fac Alteza
Tonebooster baricade and enchancer.
Fab filter Q2
Korvpressor
Brusfri
Audio damage RoughRider3
NuRackFX and 4pockets compressor.
Eventide reverbs
And others

Question is , what apps do you think are the best for creating a good mix and final product ?
Does anyone also know about good (trustworthy) material I could use as research for mixing and mastering ? Books or video material, or sites.
Thanks in advance for the answers.

Comments

• edited November 2020

@Paa89 said:
    Question is , what apps do you think are the best for creating a good mix and final product ?

My advice is ignore the GAS. Now is a good time to pick up apps on sale, but maybe approach this from the opposite direction. Instead of saying "Hey what else should I get?" First find the limitations in your arsenal. Second seek out new or replacement apps that fill those gaps. What you've listed is a good starting point. I can't imagine you'd need more reverbs or compressors for now. I don't see any sequencers on your list, but it all comes down to the type of music you are making, and which apps feed your creativity. There's no apparent reason you couldn't start & finish a project with just the tools you listed.

Keep in mind that there are distinct creative advantages from limitations. Start with your first track (or two), and really try to use only the apps at your disposal. Presumably you've acquired those because they sparked some creative interest. Learn them inside and out and get as far as you can with what you have. Until you reach a point where tool limitations are stifling your creativity. And then figure out why ... and what it is that would help get over the barriers you are encountering. If you do only that, and document the process, you'll end up with top marks on the work. Well, it'll probably have to sound halfway decent too. :) Good luck.

• I really believe it's more about how well you understand the frequency spectrum and how to layer in many tracks so they all have their own space, and less about the apps you use.

Kidslow is right about limitations. I've mixed and mastered an entire album without any compressors or EQ, relying only on parallel processing techniques, a spectrum analyzer, and a good premix with my sound choices. And usually the first thing people say about that project is how well it's mixed. To this day I refuse to use compressors. I hate them. EQ's are great though. Those are great for spicing certain parts up or dulling others down. But any EQ will do if your sound sources are good. Compressors are for the weak willed and those without vision, in my opinion.

• Klevgrand Grand finale is really easy for mastering

• @sclurbs said:
    I really believe it's more about how well you understand the frequency spectrum and how to layer in many tracks so they all have their own space, and less about the apps you use.

Kidslow is right about limitations. I've mixed and mastered an entire album without any compressors or EQ, relying only on parallel processing techniques, a spectrum analyzer, and a good premix with my sound choices. And usually the first thing people say about that project is how well it's mixed. To this day I refuse to use compressors. I hate them. EQ's are great though. Those are great for spicing certain parts up or dulling others down. But any EQ will do if your sound sources are good. Compressors are for the weak willed and those without vision, in my opinion.

@kidslow said:

@Paa89 said:

My advice is ignore the GAS. Now is a good time to pick up apps on sale, but maybe approach this from the opposite direction. Instead of saying "Hey what else should I get?" First find the limitations in your arsenal. Second seek out new or replacement apps that fill those gaps. What you've listed is a good starting point. I can't imagine you'd need more reverbs or compressors for now. I don't see any sequencers on your list, but it all comes down to the type of music you are making, and which apps feed your creativity. There's no apparent reason you couldn't start & finish a project with just the tools you listed.

Keep in mind that there are distinct creative advantages from limitations. Start with your first track (or two), and really try to use only the apps at your disposal. Presumably you've acquired those because they sparked some creative interest. Learn them inside and out and get as far as you can with what you have. Until you reach a point where tool limitations are stifling your creativity. And then figure out why ... and what it is that would help get over the barriers you are encountering. If you do only that, and document the process, you'll end up with top marks on the work. Well, it'll probably have to sound halfway decent too. :) Good luck.

Theses 2 answers just gave me a new prospective of the issue.. thanks a lot guys.
    Do you know of any good ( trusted) resources I could use for research in regards to mixing and mastering?
    Being it books or video material.

• @ecou said:
    Klevgrand Grand finale is really easy for mastering thanks a lot, would definitely have a look at that.๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ

• edited November 2020

@Paa89

It really depends on what kind of genre you're going for. If you want to make EDM that Spotify algorithms enjoy, my advice on compressors is probably gonna be pretty awful. I don't follow a lot of rules. I feel like mixing/mastering is one of those things, like zen, where you can't really understand it or describe it until you _feel _it. The vast majority of tutorials out there just confuse the subject; most of the people doing the tutorials learned from other tutorials and so on, so it's easy to get pigeonhole advice, or just straight up bad advice, and for it to be parroted to infinity. It's really all about feeling. For example, a lot of trumpet players will tell you to get a dozen mouthpieces for specific types of playing. But Aturo Sandova, an actual master and not just someone parodying novice advice, will tell you one mouthpiece is all you need, and the sound is all in your mind. You can get all those sounds from one mouthpiece. The key with this is that you are able to put the sound in your hands and mold it like clay, seamlessly and instantly. And that's the hard part. Finding the workflow that works for you, and not just some other random people. For that you need a good framework to visualize the audio frequency spectrum.

I've never found a better tutorial for this than this retro video:

Unrelated, but here's a great retro tutorial on synthesis that's just as fundamental and unconfused

• edited November 2020

@Paa89 said:

@sclurbs said:
    I really believe it's more about how well you understand the frequency spectrum and how to layer in many tracks so they all have their own space, and less about the apps you use.

@kidslow said:

@Paa89 said:

Theses 2 answers just gave me a new prospective of the issue.. thanks a lot guys.
    Do you know of any good ( trusted) resources I could use for research in regards to mixing and mastering?
    Being it books or video material.

I read the 2 following books that really help me get started. I am still very much a beginner so take my advice with a grain of salt.

• Step by step mixing by Bjorgvin Benediktsson
    • Pro audio mastering by David S Eley.

I really felt like I needed a step by step so I could do it once and then break out on my own. That book really was what I needed.

Trust your ears is the advice we always get and itโ€™s very true when it comes to volume level , effects and EQ. When it comes to compression I still have a extremely difficult time earring itโ€™s effect. I read tons of tutorial and video on compression i understand the theory and what every setting does but I still very much rely on the settings in the book for compression.

• Put "Magic Death Eye Stereo" on for mastering "glue". It adds tube harmonics that give the track some mid-range heft. Ignore the noise about aliasing noise. It's too high and not loud enough to make you pass on the best compressor for mastering. DDMF models classic studio gear. Get as many as you can afford. MDES is based on the compressors they use
    at Capital Records studio by the designer/mastering engineer. Google and research. The developer writes physics simulations for a research facility (or did at one time).

@virsyn's Bark Filter adds a crispness with it's "Tripleband" preset and Limiter ON. Breaking down what it does is a research project.

Check out the concept of side-channel compression to automate one track turning down the volume on another to allow the source envelope instrument to be louder and less cluttered in the mix.

Multi-band EQ's can be used to fine-tune by ear.

Thankfully doing each of these in a bucket brigade process does add any extra noise like in the world of analog tape. But tape adds yet another nice saturation distortion and there are apps that add that softening compression with optional "Noise".

Targeted parametric EQ's are useful to shape an instrument to have its spectrum and add clarity to an ensemble.

Time spent on Youtube learning mastering will guide your learning well in the time of covid.

• Mix your tracks with the plugins you already have.

Get them sounding clear and balanced.

If there is unwanted distortion then find the track that has
    the distortion and pull the fader down until it stops distorting.
    Mix all of the other channels based on that level.

One of the users on the forum gave a good tip which
    is applicable if you are using drum tracks.

Set the kick drum to peak at -12dB on it's
    playback channel and mix everything around that.
    If you have songs?
    Then ignore the -12db kickdrum tip and mix around the vocals.

Try to have as much headroom as possible.

Once it sounds pleasing to the ear?
    Give your ears a rest, minimum for a couple of days.

Listen to other music so that you regain perspective.

I've had a look through your apps that you've listed.

I would use these two apps from your list
    in this order on the Master Channel.

Fab Filter Q2 and then Toneboosters Barricade on the Master Channel.

Use Fab Filter Q2 for precision eqing especially if there is
    a resonant tone that makes the track sound unbalanced eq wise.

Don't start using Barricade until your mix is sounding good then start limiting to taste.

Be careful not to squash the life out of the mix.

For reference.

Have a look at Bob Katz's website for tips on Mixing and Mastering
    including the K-System he developed for setting your
    monitors so that one can mix without to much ear fatigue.

Here's the link to articles from his website

https://www.digido.com/articles/

and here's how to calibrate your monitors using the K-system.

https://www.digido.com/ufaqs/monitor-calibration-with-k-system/

other than this the quality of your music will shine through regardless.

• @ecou said:
    Klevgrand Grand finale is really easy for mastering

Do you know why the rating are so-so for this app?

• @Montreal_Music said:

@ecou said:

Maybe because it also has ratings from those who donโ€™t know how to use it.

• @Montreal_Music said:

@ecou said:

What rating? In the Canadian App Store it as a 4.7 rating.

Maybe people donโ€™t like that you have to import your song audio file into Grand finale then export it. The first time you do it, it is a bit confusing like most moving of file in iOS land. This is where AudioShare is so great doing. A must have for iOS music making.

• The one down side to it is the LUFS meter is a bit hard to read. But being a you man that you are you should have not problem with that. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• @Gravitas said:
    Mix your tracks with the plugins you already have.

Get them sounding clear and balanced.

If there is unwanted distortion then find the track that has
    the distortion and pull the fader down until it stops distorting.
    Mix all of the other channels based on that level.

One of the users on the forum gave a good tip which
    is applicable if you are using drum tracks.

Set the kick drum to peak at -12dB on it's
    playback channel and mix everything around that.
    If you have songs?
    Then ignore the -12db kickdrum tip and mix around the vocals.

Try to have as much headroom as possible.

Once it sounds pleasing to the ear?
    Give your ears a rest, minimum for a couple of days.

Listen to other music so that you regain perspective.

I've had a look through your apps that you've listed.

I would use these two apps from your list
    in this order on the Master Channel.

Fab Filter Q2 and then Toneboosters Barricade on the Master Channel.

Use Fab Filter Q2 for precision eqing especially if there is
    a resonant tone that makes the track sound unbalanced eq wise.

Don't start using Barricade until your mix is sounding good then start limiting to taste.

Be careful not to squash the life out of the mix.

For reference.

Have a look at Bob Katz's website for tips on Mixing and Mastering
    including the K-System he developed for setting your
    monitors so that one can mix without to much ear fatigue.

Here's the link to articles from his website

https://www.digido.com/articles/

and here's how to calibrate your monitors using the K-system.

https://www.digido.com/ufaqs/monitor-calibration-with-k-system/

other than this the quality of your music will shine through regardless.

Thanks very much really appreciate the help and for your time ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

• @Paa89

Thanks very much really appreciate the help and for your time ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ

No worries.

More importantly?

Have fun.

๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฝ

• @McD said:
    Put "Magic Death Eye Stereo" on for mastering "glue". It adds tube harmonics that give the track some mid-range heft. Ignore the noise about aliasing noise. It's too high and not loud enough to make you pass on the best compressor for mastering. DDMF models classic studio gear. Get as many as you can afford. MDES is based on the compressors they use
    at Capital Records studio by the designer/mastering engineer. Google and research. The developer writes physics simulations for a research facility (or did at one time).

@virsyn's Bark Filter adds a crispness with it's "Tripleband" preset and Limiter ON. Breaking down what it does is a research project.

Check out the concept of side-channel compression to automate one track turning down the volume on another to allow the source envelope instrument to be louder and less cluttered in the mix.

Multi-band EQ's can be used to fine-tune by ear.

Thankfully doing each of these in a bucket brigade process does add any extra noise like in the world of analog tape. But tape adds yet another nice saturation distortion and there are apps that add that softening compression with optional "Noise".

Targeted parametric EQ's are useful to shape an instrument to have its spectrum and add clarity to an ensemble.

Time spent on Youtube learning mastering will guide your learning well in the time of covid.

Couldnโ€™t ask for detailed information. Thanks very much

• @sclurbs said:
    @Paa89

It really depends on what kind of genre you're going for. If you want to make EDM that Spotify algorithms enjoy, my advice on compressors is probably gonna be pretty awful. I don't follow a lot of rules. I feel like mixing/mastering is one of those things, like zen, where you can't really understand it or describe it until you _feel _it. The vast majority of tutorials out there just confuse the subject; most of the people doing the tutorials learned from other tutorials and so on, so it's easy to get pigeonhole advice, or just straight up bad advice, and for it to be parroted to infinity. It's really all about feeling. For example, a lot of trumpet players will tell you to get a dozen mouthpieces for specific types of playing. But Aturo Sandova, an actual master and not just someone parodying novice advice, will tell you one mouthpiece is all you need, and the sound is all in your mind. You can get all those sounds from one mouthpiece. The key with this is that you are able to put the sound in your hands and mold it like clay, seamlessly and instantly. And that's the hard part. Finding the workflow that works for you, and not just some other random people. For that you need a good framework to visualize the audio frequency spectrum.

Unrelated, but here's a great retro tutorial on synthesis that's just as fundamental and unconfused

@sclurbs said:
    @Paa89

Thanks very much for the information.

• Nice to read this. Gonna watch those videos and read a bit.
    Decided to get more productive with less apps (was initially doing Nanostudio only, but the audiotrack trick using Slate was annoying. So now i'm doing only NS2 and BM3)

But I hit the wall I generally hit, which is mixing and mastering (even more so because i'm dealing with dirty industrial sounds which tend to get muddy)

Wish the best of luck with your project. Hope to listen to your tracks soon