Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Electribe Wave vs iWavestation for ambient and drone

Could someone who has used both of these apps (Electribe Wave and iWavestation), please explain to me the differences, pros and cons, the difference in sound, etc?

I'm looking at whether to buy one of them, for ambient and drone work.

Comments

• edited November 2020

In my eyes the M1 has an incredible random feature and I am waiting for the very day when korg will bring it into the AUv3 dimension where I am at.
    Beside the random feature this synth is so deep that you will never reach the bottom. So to program I have way more options regarding drones and ambient compositions (I am talking about other plugins).

Ielectribe is already AU. It has some nice preset. I like the ambient piano it sounds pretty cool - in case you done have one already. Hang a Blackhole behind it and this goes a long way :-)

• @david_2017 said:
    In my eyes the M1 has an incredible random feature and I am waiting for the very day when korg will bring it into the AUv3 dimension where I am at.
    Beside the random feature this synth is so deep that you will never reach the bottom. So to program I have way more options regarding drones and ambient compositions (I am talking about other plugins).

Ielectribe is already AU. It has some nice preset. I like the ambient piano it sounds pretty cool - in case you done have one already. Hang a Blackhole behind it and this goes a long way :-)

Thanks. I had also been considering iM1, if that's the M1 you mean.

You have my interest, with the ambient piano comment. I'm a lover of ambient pianos, and I have Blackhole.

• Electribe wave is AU. iElectribe is not.

• Electribe Wave is better if you're fine with synthetic wavetable sounds and you want to modulate the WT position to get evolving pads
    iWavestation is better if you also want attack samples from real instruments. It can "only" crossfade between samples but that is usually sufficient for sound design.

Tough call. My personal preference is iWavestation but the wavetables in Electribe Wave are especially good for building drones, and it's also available as an Audio Unit.

• @rs2000 said:
    Electribe Wave is better if you're fine with synthetic wavetable sounds and you want to modulate the WT position to get evolving pads
    iWavestation is better if you also want attack samples from real instruments. It can "only" crossfade between samples but that is usually sufficient for sound design.

Tough call. My personal preference is iWavestation but the wavetables in Electribe Wave are especially good for building drones, and it's also available as an Audio Unit.

It sounds like I would appreciate aspects of both. I certainly love the samples I've heard from iWavestation. But AU is an important factor, as I don't tend to use Gadget, although I have it.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Electribe wave is AU. iElectribe is not.

My bad spelling.... I was talking about the electribe wave to be clear. IElectribe is not AU a standalone groovebox

• I don't care too much about what connectivity apps has, as long as they have it. But by the comments I take it that iWavestation is only IAA. But it's a beast.

If you can squeeze the cash, grab them both.

• @senhorlampada said:
    I don't care too much about what connectivity apps has, as long as they have it. But by the comments I take it that iWavestation is only IAA. But it's a beast.

I never bought either of these, back in 2020. But today, I did. I really would like Korg Wavestate for desktop too.

• edited January 2023

@andowrites said:

@senhorlampada said:
    I don't care too much about what connectivity apps has, as long as they have it. But by the comments I take it that iWavestation is only IAA. But it's a beast.

I never bought either of these, back in 2020. But today, I did. I really would like Korg Wavestate for desktop too.

iWavestation is great already but Wavestate is in another league. If I had to pick between OPSIX, Modwave and Wavestate, it would easily be the Wavestate. Its factory samples alone are outstanding and the synth engine covers a lot of ground too.

• @rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@senhorlampada said:

iWavestation is great already but Wavestate is in another league. If I had to pick between OPSIX, Modwave and Wavestate, it would easily be the Wavestate. Its factory samples alone are outstanding and the synth engine covers a lot of ground too.

I look forward very much to getting a copy of Wavestate. Hopefully, there might be a discount, later in the year, or I will be fortunate enough to gather some more funds for it. It's important to me that there's a relationship between the apps I use on iOS and on desktop. AND to have them on my iPhone, wherever possible too. Creative flow and all that.

I also have a hankering for the mobile and desktop versions of Arp Odyssei/Odyssey. It looks like I fell in Korg love!

• @andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@senhorlampada said:

I look forward very much to getting a copy of Wavestate. Hopefully, there might be a discount, later in the year, or I will be fortunate enough to gather some more funds for it. It's important to me that there's a relationship between the apps I use on iOS and on desktop. AND to have them on my iPhone, wherever possible too. Creative flow and all that.

I also have a hankering for the mobile and desktop versions of Arp Odyssei/Odyssey. It looks like I fell in Korg love!

Hmm. Don't expect too much - Wavestate has no equivalent on iOS and I haven't yet managed to exchange presets between Odyssei and Odyssey on desktop. I guess KORG aren't joking when suggesting to re-create patches manually, parameter by parameter.
    https://www.factmag.com/2017/07/03/korg-arp-odyssey-patchbook/
    https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/435/3604/

• @rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

@andowrites said:

@senhorlampada said:

Hmm. Don't expect too much - Wavestate has no equivalent on iOS and I haven't yet managed to exchange presets between Odyssei and Odyssey on desktop. I guess KORG aren't joking when suggesting to re-create patches manually, parameter by parameter.
    https://www.factmag.com/2017/07/03/korg-arp-odyssey-patchbook/
    https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/435/3604/

Thanks for the links.

• @andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:
    Electribe Wave is better if you're fine with synthetic wavetable sounds and you want to modulate the WT position to get evolving pads

It sounds like I would appreciate aspects of both. I certainly love the samples I've heard from iWavestation. But AU is an important factor, as I don't tend to use Gadget, although I have it.

Not sure if it’s any use to you but I find Gadget pairs very nicely with AUM - and use that to bridge Gadget with the AUV3 universe… (including things like Scaler and Loopy Pro). After trying all the iOS DAWs and GrooveBoxes I find that workflow great…
    Oh, and a 👍 for IWAVESTATION and iM1…

• @zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

Not sure if it’s any use to you but I find Gadget pairs very nicely with AUM - and use that to bridge Gadget with the AUV3 universe… (including things like Scaler and Loopy Pro). After trying all the iOS DAWs and GrooveBoxes I find that workflow great…

Thanks, I'm happy with my purchases. Loving the sounds and control in iWavestation. I've looked at iM1 a few times, but I haven't sprung for it yet. I do have a fancy for Arp Odyssei.

I have never got very far with Gadget, but I do use AUM all the time on iOS.

• If you have Gadget, I would definitely purchase both. :) Although Kiev is pretty great for drones and comes included with the initial Gadget purchase!

If you're using a different host, Electribe Wave has AUv3 functionality and is extremely useful for drones and other sounds.

Then again, iWavestation has the ability to morph between different sound sequences. It does have a vintage quality to it that some say sounds "outdated" (although I don't think it's outdated).

With Gadget, you can produce many types of genres, including Ambient. Worth a look.

• @andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

Thanks, I'm happy with my purchases. Loving the sounds and control in iWavestation. I've looked at iM1 a few times, but I haven't sprung for it yet. I do have a fancy for Arp Odyssei.

AH, you posted this when I was typing my answer, lol. AUM is amazing for live Ambient and is exactly the host I used for producing the genre last summer. (My "Summer of Ambient 2022", lol.)

Maybe I can produce some sort of Ambient in Gadget using only stock gadgets and upload the project file and rendered .wav here in a Dropbox link for you and others to check out.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

AH, you posted this when I was typing my answer, lol. AUM is amazing for live Ambient and is exactly the host I used for producing the genre last summer. (My "Summer of Ambient 2022", lol.)

Maybe I can produce some sort of Ambient in Gadget using only stock gadgets and upload the project file and rendered .wav here in a Dropbox link for you and others to check out.

Thanks, I'm sure that would be of interest to me and to others.

• @andowrites said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

I'm definitely "feeling it" right now, but first, suppertime, lol.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@andowrites said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

I'm definitely "feeling it" right now, but first, suppertime, lol.

For sure!

• @andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

ARP Odyssei is great but it’s frustrating that the brilliant arpeggiator is only available in the stand alone version, and not Gadget…

• @zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

ARP Odyssei is great but it’s frustrating that the brilliant arpeggiator is only available in the stand alone version, and not Gadget…

Is there any workaround for that?

• the gadgets for iWavestation and ielectribe wave are both much better than the stand alone apps-

• @andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

Not in Gadget, unfortunately… I have ended up having to use Odyssei as an IAA in AUM, with AUM synced to Gadget…

• edited January 2023

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@zzrwood said:

@andowrites said:

@rs2000 said:

Not in Gadget, unfortunately… I have ended up having to use Odyssei as an IAA in AUM, with AUM synced to Gadget…

Thanks, that's helpful to know.

• Alrighty @andowrites I have the finished product. Sorry about the wait.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/c735jii5f4j9o76/AADdcv-4169k-I5HnNL1T8m7a?dl=0

For whatever reason, I wasn't able to upload the Gadget 2 project file to Dropbox, so I had to compress it in a zip file instead. Simply download the zip, open it, and drag-and-drop the project file into your Korg Gadget folder on your iPad. :)

As you'll see when you open the project, I used two Wolfsburgs, one Phoenix, and one Kiev. I used automation on the lowpass filters in the IFX section. I also made use of a phaser on the Wolfsburg pad and a flanger on the Kiev ambiance.