Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Midi app MusiKraken

123457»

Comments

• @royor said:
    @Snarp Congratulations on MusiKraken winning at the MIDI Innovation Awards. 👏

Whoa! That is awesome. Congratulations

• @Poppadocrock said:

@royor said:
    @Snarp Congratulations on MusiKraken winning at the MIDI Innovation Awards. 👏

Whoa! That is awesome. Congratulations

Thanks!

• MusiKraken now has a Color Tracker!

You can track objects based on their color and convert their position and size on the camera image to MIDI events. Multiple colors can be tracked simultaneously and color tracking can be combined with body-, hand- and face-tracking.

The x- and y-position values are the average position on the camera image of all pixels in a specific color range. You can set the target color and threshold in the editor.

The size port sends the current size of the color on the camera image (= the number of pixels in the color range relative to the image size). This can be used as the object distance.

The nice thing about color tracking is that it is very fast (at least compared to body- and hand-tracking), works on both iOS and Android, and doesn't need a special sensor for the distance computations. And you can track anything that has a color that is different than the background color (or stick a colored dot on it to track it). The downside is that it depends a lot on the light conditions, so if the light in the room changes, you need to change the target colors.

• @Snarp amazing update! thanks! 🙌🏿

• @Snarp wow and very cool. This will give a chance to improve your air drum chops ;)

• Works great tracking bright pink slippers 🤣

• Hello, there wouldn’t happen to be anyone on this forum that can help me connect musikraken with beatmaker 3 via the midi out module? I’m not really good with midi and am having trouble being able to use musikraken as a midi keyboard for apps I have within beatmaker. I have been able to use the midi out module to control puresynth platinum or neo soul keys but daw apps I’m not figuring out where i’m making a mistake. If anyone knows any information I would greatly appreciate it.

• @Snarp said:

That is magic! Just wow

• edited January 2023

Hi. Congrats to Snarp for an amazing app, it looks and seems perfect for my needs, as I intend to use it as an expression controller together with a hardware midi keyboard.

But I cannot connect to it via wifi. I use musikraken on Android, installed rtpMidi, create a new session, but when I start musikraken with the Snarp Network Midi module (port 5004), rtpMidi does not detect anything.

What am I doing wrong? Tried with TouchDAW and it works great, but I prefer Musikraken :)

Some help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

• @strato156 said:
    Hi. Congrats to Snarp for an amazing app, it looks and seems perfect for my needs, as I intend to use it as an expression controller together with a hardware midi keyboard.

But I cannot connect to it via wifi. I use musikraken on Android, installed rtpMidi, create a new session, but when I start musikraken with the Snarp Network Midi module (port 5004), rtpMidi does not detect anything.

What am I doing wrong? Tried with TouchDAW and it works great, but I prefer Musikraken :)

Some help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi! Did you use rtpMidi by Tobias Erichsen on Windows? Once you start MusiKraken with the "Snarp Network Midi" on, it should show up in rtpMidi automatically and you can connect to it (if both devices are connected to the same WiFi, of course). Did you try to change the port number or the name? Not that it should change anything, but you never know...

I will try this myself this afternoon on my test devices, maybe I introduced a bug in the app (I haven't used rtp MIDI for a while).
    What Android device do you have?

• edited January 2023

Yes, it's Tobias's rtpmidi, version 1.1.14.247.

But the problem is solved, but I had to manually create a connection, with the phone's IP. It simply does not automatically detect the connection.

Rtpmidi was installed on windows 7 64b, phone is android marshmallow. After manually creating the connection, all works good, good latency.
    But is strange, with touchDAW (v2.0.6) it detects automatically... And because the IP is dynamic, set by the router, one has to set a fixed IP for the phone, to avoid losing the connection over time, not ideal, but doable.

Now it's time to explore your fantastic app :) but thanks for the quick reply

• Wow, I just grabbed this and it’s really awesome. Great work @Snarp, this is genius

• @Snarp said:

This is amazing! Is there any way that there could be a lower zone attached to a foot for bass drum and hi-hat? It would be great to play ‘air drums’ with kit pieces in the correct places.

• @strato156 said:
    Yes, it's Tobias's rtpmidi, version 1.1.14.247.

But the problem is solved, but I had to manually create a connection, with the phone's IP. It simply does not automatically detect the connection.

Rtpmidi was installed on windows 7 64b, phone is android marshmallow. After manually creating the connection, all works good, good latency.
    But is strange, with touchDAW (v2.0.6) it detects automatically... And because the IP is dynamic, set by the router, one has to set a fixed IP for the phone, to avoid losing the connection over time, not ideal, but doable.

Now it's time to explore your fantastic app :) but thanks for the quick reply

Thanks for this information!
    I got sick shortly after writing my last message, so I still haven't had time to test my RTP MIDI implementation again. I hope I can do it today. It should send the current IP and port via Bonjour, and if touchDAW is working, then it should work as well. But I implemented the whole RTP MIDI and Bonjour myself, so maybe something is still wrong there. I will retest and try to find out why this isn't working on some devices. I wanted to add my own implementation of Bluetooth MIDI to Android anyways.
    By the way, hand tracking will be coming soon to the Android version as well, it already works, but I still need to test it...

• @Fingolfinzz said:
    Wow, I just grabbed this and it’s really awesome. Great work @Snarp, this is genius

Thanks!

• @michael_m said:

@Snarp said:

This is amazing! Is there any way that there could be a lower zone attached to a foot for bass drum and hi-hat? It would be great to play ‘air drums’ with kit pieces in the correct places.

Thanks!
    You could wear differently colored socks or stick colored stickers to your feet or something similar. Or even easier, you could use body tracking and track your feet.
    Currently you can only distribute the note locations evenly from left to right, or up- and downwards. I always wanted to have a module where you could place 3D objects on the screen and generate notes when you hit them (maybe optionally let them fly around after you hit them; I do already have a physics engine in the app, after all...), but I haven't figured out a good way to combine this with all the possible camera tracking types that I have... I will have to think about it more...

• @Snarp said:

@michael_m said:

@Snarp said:

Thanks!
    You could wear differently colored socks or stick colored stickers to your feet or something similar. Or even easier, you could use body tracking and track your feet.
    Currently you can only distribute the note locations evenly from left to right, or up- and downwards. I always wanted to have a module where you could place 3D objects on the screen and generate notes when you hit them (maybe optionally let them fly around after you hit them; I do already have a physics engine in the app, after all...), but I haven't figured out a good way to combine this with all the possible camera tracking types that I have... I will have to think about it more...

Thanks for the reply. I thought it might not be easy, but should throw the thought out there anyway. For a real kit, it’s hard just left to right, as feet need to be at a different level from hands.

• @michael_m said:
    Thanks for the reply. I thought it might not be easy, but should throw the thought out there anyway. For a real kit, it’s hard just left to right, as feet need to be at a different level from hands.

Having the feet sound different from the hands is easy and can already be done in many ways. The simplest way would be to assign only one specific note to each foot. Or use a Threshold module to define at which y-coordinate a note is triggered, and define a different threshold for the hands and the feet. So you can already simulate most of a "real" drum kit.

But what doesn't work yet is that you can't have any visual representation of the drums on the screen. Which makes drumming or playing any melody more difficult (but it still works, with some training).

I probably will create a new module which will show the camera image and you can place objects on the screen and you can hit them by assigning anything you want to the input x- and y-coordinate. Probably not very intuitive to setup, but this way everything will stay very modular.

• Man , the only thing better than the Musikraken software is the Musikraken developper, always quick to reply and actually listens to the feedback here. I see a very bright future for you Mr.Snarp ;)

• @strato156 said:
    Man , the only thing better than the Musikraken software is the Musikraken developper, always quick to reply and actually listens to the feedback here. I see a very bright future for you Mr.Snarp ;)

:D Thanks! Of course, feedback is (almost) always useful and welcome! I just add anything that I like to the app, so without feedback, it might become an app that is only useful for me and nobody else...

• Just watched a few videos by PerplexOn. How did I not hear of this app! Why isn't this being talked about/used more??? I need/want to learn this. I'm hooked!!!

• I finally had time to create a new MusiKraken video that shows examples for most of the modules. These are of course only example setups, you can combine whatever you want.
    Here it is:

• Nice video! I wonder if it's possible to assign chords to the pads (not necessarily in scale, 7th, 9th etc).

Apart from that, is it possible to patch something up, where you could pick a chord and then have a couple of xy-pads to trigger the single notes of the chosen chord and have mpe-control (pressure and cc74) over the individual notes, or something similar?

• @tyslothrop1 said:
    Nice video! I wonder if it's possible to assign chords to the pads (not necessarily in scale, 7th, 9th etc).

In the Chords Pad, you can currently only activate 7ths and 9th, but no chords outside of the scale. I am working on a new Chords Progression module, which is similar to the Chords Pad, but you can assign your own chords (or single notes) to any button (well, technically it is already finished, but I also wanted to add the possibility to save and reuse chord progressions, which isn't done yet. Maybe I will just release it without the saving-feature first, and add that later).

Apart from that, is it possible to patch something up, where you could pick a chord and then have a couple of xy-pads to trigger the single notes of the chosen chord and have mpe-control (pressure and cc74) over the individual notes, or something similar?

You should be able to use the Chord Splitter for that. If you set the start channel to 2 (because channel 1 is used for global messages), it will assign the different notes to separate channels that works with MPE. Now assign different parameters to the channels from 2 upwards (for example control cc74 for channel 2 with the touchpad x, and cc74 for channel 3 with touchpad 3, as a simple example).
    Here is a more detailed video of how the Chord Splitter works:

• @Snarp thanks for the info. I wanted to try something like that for a while now. Can't wait to try it out. Great it's on android too, so I can easily feed it to my windows pc.

• @The Krazy Wabbit said:
    Just watched a few videos by PerplexOn. How did I not hear of this app! Why isn't this being talked about/used more??? I need/want to learn this. I'm hooked!!!

Are you using it? How is it?

• edited February 11

@Snarp Very cool tool! Bought it on both platforms. I used the android version in combination with Ableton, sent chords from Ableton to the tablet, split those with the chord splitter, connected 4 touch pads, used the x-axis for channel-pressure, the y axis to cc74 and sent it back to Ableton to control Mpe-synths. Works like a charm, with rarely any stuck notes.

The only thing I would wish for would be more and smaller touchpads on the screen at the same time. On the one hand, because now I can only use 4-note chords, if I want to use MPE on all of them, on the other hand it would be a lot easier to control (maybe even with just one hand, which doesn't work for me right now) if the pads were smaller. So I'd like more split screen options. Would you consider that? Of course I 'm only scratching the surface of what this app can do and don't know, how much work that would mean and how useful it would be for other use cases than mine...