Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Midi app MusiKraken

Comments

• @snarp great app, I’ve only just started using it, would it be possible to add some more inputs other than keyboard and chord pad— what I really need is a note grid you can pitch bend and slide between notes on like in velocity keyboard for example. I find note grids best for solo parts

• @Silvertip You made it to the big times Perplex On used your app!

• @wingwizard said:
    @snarp great app, I’ve only just started using it, would it be possible to add some more inputs other than keyboard and chord pad— what I really need is a note grid you can pitch bend and slide between notes on like in velocity keyboard for example. I find note grids best for solo parts

Thanks! I have a few ideas for new touch input controls. I put the note grid on my (huge :-) ) TODO list, but I will first have to experiment with it to see how I can make it as good as possible...

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Silvertip You made it to the big times Perplex On used your app!

:D Yes, luckily Perplex On was one of my earliest customers. This is already the third video he did with my app!

• The third! Where the hell have I been? 😄 Coolness, and congrats again.

• @Snarp said:

@audiblevideo said:

:D Yes, luckily Perplex On was one of my earliest customers. This is already the third video he did with my app!

and I guess I might be the reason for that 🙈🙆🏽‍♀️

• @cazel said:

@Snarp said:

@audiblevideo said:

and I guess I might be the reason for that 🙈🙆🏽‍♀️

Thanks!!

• edited April 2021

@Snarp thank you, sir! 🙏🏽
    well I guess it's time for some q+requests then 🙈 Musikraken is definitely my top composition tool for a while now, and I also use it for live performances. but, just wanted to ask if it's possible to add

• project sharing between devices / at least for same iCloud account
      I'm using Musikraken on 3 devices at the same time -iPhone 8plus iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPad Air- and sometimes I start a project on iPad and realize keys would work better on 8plus cause of 3d pressure and I could have iPad for other stuff like cc etc.

• this may sound crazy, but could we have input range values with hundredths in decimals? seems like I have to be detail-oriented, while using other equipments -like gloves+watch for OSC- with Musikraken

• last one 🙆🏽‍♀️ could you maybe add an option to build our own chord pads? It would be amazing for live performances! I really appreciate all new chords you've added but a possibility to use borrowed chords/slash chords or just any progression would be amazing (sometimes I just need to map 4 specific chords to distance + cc to Ableton + map arp rate to angle etc.)

• @cazel said:
    @Snarp thank you, sir! 🙏🏽
    well I guess it's time for some q+requests then 🙈 Musikraken is definitely my top composition tool for a while now, and I also use it for live performances. but, just wanted to ask if it's possible to add

• project sharing between devices / at least for same iCloud account
      I'm using Musikraken on 3 devices at the same time -iPhone 8plus iPhone 12 Pro Max and iPad Air- and sometimes I start a project on iPad and realize keys would work better on 8plus cause of 3d pressure and I could have iPad for other stuff like cc etc.

• this may sound crazy, but could we have input range values with hundredths in decimals? seems like I have to be detail-oriented, while using other equipments -like gloves+watch for OSC- with Musikraken

• last one 🙆🏽‍♀️ could you maybe add an option to build our own chord pads? It would be amazing for live performances! I really appreciate all new chords you've added but a possibility to use borrowed chords/slash chords or just any progression would be amazing (sometimes I just need to map 4 specific chords to distance + cc to Ableton + map arp rate to angle etc.)

Great that you are using MusiKraken!

-I implemented exporting and importing projects a while ago, and then removed it again because I didn't know how to handle all special cases (= what do I do if the device doesn't support the hardware? Show the node, but disable it? Try to replace it with something else, if possible? Simply ignore it?), but now that the Android version is also out, I think I can try to activate and test this again. But this would be a very useful feature, you are totally correct.

• :D can you give me a more concrete example of when you would need this? As MusiKraken currently only uses MIDI 1.0, the final resolution of the output is only between 0 and 127 anyways, but my plan is to also add MIDI 2.0 support if possible (should already be possible on iOS, but I do not really have a virtual instrument that actually supports it yet, I think....), so finer range settings might make sense in the future...

-This has also been on my TODO list for a while. I started with an experimental program that tries to collect chord progressions and voicings (and maybe rhythms) from as many MIDI files as possible a while ago, so that MusiKraken could give "experimental" chord suggestions, but never took the time to finish it. But yes, if this would work, it would be great. If not, I can still implement "normal" suggestions.... I will see if I can get this running...

• @Snarp said:
    Great that you are using MusiKraken!

-I implemented exporting and importing projects a while ago, and then removed it again because I didn't know how to handle all special cases (= what do I do if the device doesn't support the hardware? Show the node, but disable it? Try to replace it with something else, if possible? Simply ignore it?), but now that the Android version is also out, I think I can try to activate and test this again. But this would be a very useful feature, you are totally correct.

• :D can you give me a more concrete example of when you would need this? As MusiKraken currently only uses MIDI 1.0, the final resolution of the output is only between 0 and 127 anyways, but my plan is to also add MIDI 2.0 support if possible (should already be possible on iOS, but I do not really have a virtual instrument that actually supports it yet, I think....), so finer range settings might make sense in the future...

-This has also been on my TODO list for a while. I started with an experimental program that tries to collect chord progressions and voicings (and maybe rhythms) from as many MIDI files as possible a while ago, so that MusiKraken could give "experimental" chord suggestions, but never took the time to finish it. But yes, if this would work, it would be great. If not, I can still implement "normal" suggestions.... I will see if I can get this running...

• iCloud Drive folder (or even an accessible folder in Files/on my iPhone) would be enough for iOS users I guess. like AUM, LK, Mozaic, Drambo etc

• actually just an option to build your own progression on a pad would be enough! no suggestions or AI stuff (:

ps. I will try to explain the second one with an ex later

cheers 🦕🥂

• I released a new version of MusiKraken that has a new control: The Touchpad! (not a very creative name, I know :-) ).

The Touchpad is one giant multitouch surface. You can use multiple touch movements to generate MIDI events. Slide up-down and sideways with one or multiple fingers, spread your fingers to change the x- and y-difference values or use pressure or touch radius if your device supports it. This way you can control up to 5 independent parameters simultaneously. Per hand...

The Touchpad is also one giant button. Connect anything that generates notes or chords to its noteIn port and the Touchpad will play the active notes if you touch it.

And to make this more interesting, I also added a few arpeggiator patterns to it, so if you activate one of these patterns, it will play single notes based on the pattern and the button presses.

And then there is the "Note tapping" setting. In normal buttons, if there is already a finger down on the button it will not play another note until you release it. If Note Tapping is enabled, it will play a new note on every new touch. This way you can play faster by tapping on the Touchpad (at least I have a lot of fun every time I play with this...).

You can see a short demonstration of what you can do with the Touchpad here:

• Great new update - thanks @Snarp ...!

• This app is epic 💪

• @Pxlhg said:
    I've just played PIPA with my face. I think laughing so hard fubbed up the so prominent composition I had going :D :D :D

IOS music making, 2021. 👌😁

• very very cool update.
    lovely developement !!!!
    a lot of fun for live acts.
    thanks !!!!

• I now added the probably least useful module for serious music making to MusiKraken. But you can jump around and make music at the same time, so it is a lot of fun and useful to control MIDI expression values. I present to you, the BODY POSE TRACKER.

The app tracks the positions and movements of your hands, feet and head and, as always with Musikraken, you can define how these values should be converted to MIDI events. The hand and feet positions are defined relative to the shoulders and hips, and to the estimated size of the body on the camera image. This way it should not matter how large you are or how far away you are from the camera.

The head position is defined relative to the image frame. I wanted to have at least one parameter that is different depending on where you stand, and the head is easy to move sideways or up and down.

And you can make music together with someone else! The app can track two persons simultaneously!

So the Body Pose Tracker can be very useful if you always wanted to dance and make music at the same time (my kids love it). Or you can also use it to conduct your music: Move your hands up and down or sideways to change the volume, dynamics or any other parameter of your music.

And I added a video screen so you can see what the camera sees and tracks (you can activate it in the general settings. Click on the settings button in the editor to enable it).

The Body Pose Tracker is only available in the iOS version for now, but I will probably add something very similar to this soon to Android as well.

I will now work on more serious features for the next update. Probably...

• @snarp Absolute genius and that’s one tidy house too :)

• @steve99 said:
    @snarp Absolute genius and that’s one tidy house too :)

:D That is our cellar (and my office). And we did actually clean it up a few days ago, for the first time in the five years since we moved here. That is why in the previous videos I did only show the other side of the room :D

• Amazing you did it. Had slight teething problem intially but wow. I used to do robotic performances, pre athuritus in too many places, but I might just push the meds and do my next performance live with this app.

• You have the camera open inside Musikraken is this possible or just some techno wizardy?

• @Toastedghost said:
    You have the camera open inside Musikraken is this possible or just some techno wizardy?

Go to the editor screen, then tap on the cogwheel, and below Timeline there should be a switch for the "camera image". The camera image is handled the same way as other panels like the keyboard and the chords pad, you can also split the screen and have it only on one side.

And don't overdo your performance! Maybe I should turn the app into a fitness game?

• Only just saw this thread - this looks really cool.

• Had a fiddle with Musikraken’s new body tracker. Took Snarp’s advice abd did not go crazy. The app will still work even when seated.

• @Snarp said:

@steve99 said:
    @snarp Absolute genius and that’s one tidy house too :)

:D That is our cellar (and my office). And we did actually clean it up a few days ago, for the first time in the five years since we moved here. That is why in the previous videos I did only show the other side of the room :D

😂😂😂

@Toastedghost said:
    Had a fiddle with Musikraken’s new body tracker. Took Snarp’s advice abd did not go crazy. The app will still work even when seated.

Wow I love this

• This is a very smart addition to a musician’s toolkit.

• @Toastedghost said:
    Had a fiddle with Musikraken’s new body tracker. Took Snarp’s advice abd did not go crazy. The app will still work even when seated.

:) Nice!

The body detection probably works much better if you move a bit further away from the camera. Which might be difficult with the headphones? The body pose tracker works best if at least half of your body is constantly visible on the camera frame.

For this distance, I would use the hand tracker instead.

• @Snarp said:

@Toastedghost said:

The body detection probably works much better if you move a bit further away from the camera. Which might be difficult with the headphones? The body pose tracker works best if at least half of your body is constantly visible on the camera frame.

I figured so just experimenting. My wife is school nurse and works from home. Domestic violence as risen 25% during the pandemic so she is always online. Thus I must wear headphones and that tethers me to the ipad. Would love a pair of bluetoothed headphones but pennies are tight right now, partly due to the movesense sensor I bought to use with holon.ist. My latest crazy idea is would this work with puppets and maybe with TV? I will continue to experiment. Cheers

• @Toastedghost said:

@Snarp said:

@Toastedghost said:

I figured so just experimenting. My wife is school nurse and works from home. Domestic violence as risen 25% during the pandemic so she is always online. Thus I must wear headphones and that tethers me to the ipad. Would love a pair of bluetoothed headphones but pennies are tight right now, partly due to the movesense sensor I bought to use with holon.ist. My latest crazy idea is would this work with puppets and maybe with TV? I will continue to experiment. Cheers

Lol. Update it does work with TV. The actors fingers are recognise and are mapped then made into sound depending on what instrument you decide to use.

• edited May 2021

@Toastedghost said:
    My latest crazy idea is would this work with puppets and maybe with TV? I will continue to experiment. Cheers

Great idea with the puppets! I think I have a pinocchio puppet on a string somewhere, I need to test this! And yes, I tried with Star Wars before, the actors generate interesting "musical patterns". :D

• @Snarp said:

@Toastedghost said:
    My latest crazy idea is would this work with puppets and maybe with TV? I will continue to experiment. Cheers

Great idea with the puppets! I think I have a pinocchio puppet on a string somewhere, I need to test this! And yes, I tried with Star Wars before, the actors generate interesting "musical patterns". :D

Yes the machine can become fooled to see a puppet as a human being,just tried this with a clown marionette puppet, would post my findings but I am a little worse for wear. Just watched Eagle Eye on Netflix which looks at algorithms, good to use them for something useful, like making music. I have been experimenting with Mirack substituting sequencers for midi in and then cone ting to Musikraken for interesting results.