Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Modstep is crashy on iPadOS 14.2

How are others fairing? iPad Pro 11 newest version here.

Comments

• Unusable on iPad Air2 for me also, same OS. Dev didn't answer my questions about bug fixes. Disappointing that it has been abandoned.

• Oh damn. Yes. Didn't notice.
    Im on 14.3b2 on this iPad

• It worked for me this morning. I’m so confused.

• It's been long time since I launched ModStep but I was able to load some of my old sessions even those with AUv3's...
    ...iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.3. (Had to re-install the app first and copy back some session files).

• But yeah, it's not stable, time to delete again...

• Haaa, based on this (that it may run on 14.3), i uninstalled and reinstalled modstep on my Air 3:

I starts again!

How can that be?!?

Very confusing :o

Anyway, I'm happy!

• @tja said:
    Haaa, based on this (that it may run on 14.3), i uninstalled and reinstalled modstep on my Air 3:

I starts again!

How can that be?!?

Anyway, I'm happy!

Does it crash when you load instruments? Mine starts but is unusable.

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@Spud said:

@tja said:
    Haaa, based on this (that it may run on 14.3), i uninstalled and reinstalled modstep on my Air 3:

I starts again!

How can that be?!?

Anyway, I'm happy!

It's always been a bad idea to load instruments in Modstep. Better to use it only for MIDI and leave the hosting to apps like Audiobus and AUM. It's always been stable for me that way, but hosting anything in it is an accident waiting to happen.

• @wim said:

@Spud said:

@tja said:

I starts again!

How can that be?!?

Anyway, I'm happy!

It's always been a bad idea to load instruments in Modstep. Better to use it only for MIDI and leave the hosting to apps like Audiobus and AUM. It's always been stable for me that way, but hosting anything in it is an accident waiting to happen.

Ah ok, cheers. I just assumed if the feature was available it might be something we could use. My mistake :wink:

I've reached my threshold with apps almost working on iOS. Bitwig is looking great right now.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:
    Modstep was my first love and also my first heartbreak (when it comes to iOS music making apps). Whatever happened to modstep 2...

The dev has indicated that it will happen after the updated studiomux which I believe is in early beta. Who knows how long it will be before ModStep 2, though. I really like ModStep 1 despite its frustrations.

• @espiegel123 said:

@d4d0ug said:
    Modstep was my first love and also my first heartbreak (when it comes to iOS music making apps). Whatever happened to modstep 2...

The dev has indicated that it will happen after the updated studiomux which I believe is in early beta. Who knows how long it will be before ModStep 2, though. I really like ModStep 1 despite its frustrations.

Dito.

Would even be a reason to not go from 14.2 to 14.3

But after the reinstallation, it seems to be stable.

Can also update the Pro 12.9

• And early next year we'll get iOS/iPadOS14.4 that is already in beta...

• @Samu said:
    And early next year we'll get iOS/iPadOS14.4 that is already in beta...

Uhh

I had hope that 14.3 would be stable for some time.

• @tja said:

I had hope that 14.3 would be stable for some time.

Ditto...
    14.3 still has some things that need fixing and the main reason it dropped now was the iFattness+ and HairPodsMax.

Next update will likely drive Facebook nuts as we finally get good options to block all tracking bs that is going on :)
    (This feature was supposed to drop when iOS/iPadOS14 dropped but the release was postponed).

Cheers!

• Hehe, @Samu :)

BTW, i installed 14.4 beta and modstep still works!

• I cannot keep modstep running for more than 30 seconds before it crashes. Been this way for eons for me.
    14.3 ipad mini 5, and a couple earlier ipads
    AUM + LK took its place. Couldn't be happier.

• I updated to iPadOS 14.4b2 and modstep starts again!

• edited January 2021

Mine was screwed.. no audio, etc.

Just deleted and reinstalled. Seems to work perfectly fine now. Ios14.3

Edit: no... take that back. Add any AU effect and it crashes instantly

So... never mind ;)

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

Gotta love the diehards that continue to try to host AU's in Modstep. :D

Sorry @skiphunt I know my "humor" is often misunderstood when I poke at you, but I can't help it. I mean no disrespect. Really.

But seriously, Modstep is just an accident waiting to happen on any device when you use it to host anything. Always has been, even on earlier iOS versions. It's always been great with MIDI only, leaving the hosting to other apps though. I can't comment on how true that is on iOS 14, but that's always been my experience.

• @wim said:
    Gotta love the diehards that continue to try to host AU's in Modstep. :D

Sorry @skiphunt I know my "humor" never comes across right with you, but I can't help it. I mean no disrespect.

But seriously, Modstep is just an accident waiting to happen on any device when you use it to host anything. Always has been, even on earlier iOS versions. It's always been great with MIDI only, leaving the hosting to other apps though. I can't comment on how true that is on iOS 14, but that's always been my experience.

I was only reporting experience. I didn’t host AU initially before I said all was fine on my device. I’d only used the internal instruments and IAA.

After I then tested AU and noticed the crashing. I felt compelled to correct my post.

I wasn’t trying to use Modstep with AU. I was only testing to see if a reinstall fixed it.

And yes you are correct. I don’t see the “humor” in your reply. No worries though. I wasn’t offended.

• I still in iOS 13. I didn’t have any crash issues. I spend years to learn the depth of Modstep. Waiting for iOS 14 updates. But the developer is unresponsive and seems discontinued?..

• wimwim
    edited January 2021

@TheSoundKid said:
    I still in iOS 13. I didn’t have any crash issues. I spend years to learn the depth of Modstep. Waiting for iOS 14 updates. But the developer is unresponsive and seems discontinued?..

The developer is still around in some capacity. A new version of their Studiomux / Midimux product is in beta testing. Given that Modstep has the Midimux functionality built-in, I would expect there to be some incorporation into Modstep once that's done, but that's just assumption on my part.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.