Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 Mixer App with two Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless MIDI Adapters which stops connecting!

I switched from the AUM Mixer App which was crashing to the Audiobus 3 Mixer App on my iPad Air 2 with Sampletank on channel 1 and Galileo Organ App their first Organ App on channel 2.

Everything works fine when first loading all three Apps, but when I exit the Audiobus 3 App and Sampletank and Galileo then go back in, the Audiobus 3 App will not recognize the two Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless MIDI Adapters, to get them working I have to exit everything and unplug one of the UD-BT01's then load everything, after everything is working I then connect the second UD-BT01 to get them both working with the Audiobus 3 App.

They both show up on my iPad under Bluetooth and they both work with the Sampletank and the Galileo App's but not in the Audiobus 3 App.

Is there a reset for Bluetooth in the Audio 3 App or can you incorporate a Bluetooth reset into the Audiobus 3 App when it loads to resolve this issue?

One UD-BT01 connects a Williams Keyboard and the other UD-BT01 connects a Korg nano Kontrol controller.

Thanks

Comments

• Maybe connect the UD-BT01 with an app like midimitr. That way, it wouldn't be dependent on those 3 apps interacting with each other.

• Didn't work with the Audiobus 3 App

• when I exit the Audiobus 3 App and Sampletank and Galileo then go back in, the Audiobus 3 App will not recognize the two Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless MIDI Adapters

Damn, that sounds annoying. By "exit", do you mean go back to the home screen – i.e., move Audiobus into the background, as opposed to quitting it by swiping it off the screen? If the answer is 'yes', what happens if you swipe it off the screen instead when you're finished – the next time you launch, does it show the UD-BT01s? Or do you still have to power cycle them? (you said 'unplug'; I assume you mean from the power? You're using Bluetooth, right?)

They both show up on my iPad under Bluetooth and they both work with the Sampletank and the Galileo App's but not in the Audiobus 3 App.

You mean they don't show up in AB at all, or just after you exit and go back in?

• I just updated the firmware on both UD-BT01 to ver 1.0.5, one was at ver 1.0.0 and one was at ver 1.0.4, I renamed them to UD-BT01D and UD-BT0F which worked better but they both still lost connection when playing.
    I have to swipe up on all Apps then unplug one UD-BT01 then load the Audiobus 3 App and load Sampletank and Galileo then go to bluetooth in Audiobus 3 and connect the second UD-BT01.
    Is there another bluetooth device I can use besides the UD-BT01?

• Don't have to power cycle, just unplug one.

• Hmm, this sounds like a new issue... first, would you mind getting back to me on the prior questions, so I can try to get my head around what's happening? that is:

1. You said "when I exit the Audiobus 3 App and Sampletank and Galileo then go back in, the Audiobus 3 App will not recognize the two Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless MIDI Adapters": By "exit", do you mean go back to the home screen? Or swipe off the screen?
    2. If the answer to #1 is "go back to the home screen", what happens if you swipe Audiobus off the screen, and then open it up again - do the UD-BT01s appear then?
    3. You said "They both show up on my iPad under Bluetooth and they both work with the Sampletank and the Galileo App's but not in the Audiobus 3 App". You mean they don't show up in AB at all, or just after you exit and go back in?
  • Yamaha has an iPhone app for its bluetooth midi devices. You could first try giving one of them another name.
    When you decide to do a firmware update with the app make sure you are using a plugged power source for the udbt01, not a battery pack...

• You said "when I exit the Audiobus 3 App and Sampletank and Galileo then go back in, the Audiobus 3 App will not recognize the two Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless MIDI Adapters": By "exit", do you mean go back to the home screen? Or swipe off the screen?
    ** I swipe up on the Audiobus 3 App and the Sampletank App and the Galileo App then click on the Audiobus 3 App, if both are connected, they both show up but will not reconnect in the bluetooth section of Audiobus 3 App, I have to swipe up and disconnect one of them, then one will connect when I go into the Audiobus 3 App, I then reconnect the other one and that one will then connect.
    They disconnect when I'm playing the piano for 5 or 10 minutes, they disconnect and the notes will sustain.**

If the answer to #1 is "go back to the home screen", what happens if you swipe Audiobus off the screen, and then open it up again - do the UD-BT01s appear then?
    Yes but they will not connect until I disconnect one and go back into the Audiobus 3 App.

You said "They both show up on my iPad under Bluetooth and they both work with the Sampletank and the Galileo App's but not in the Audiobus 3 App". You mean they don't show up in AB at all, or just after you exit and go back in?
    They both show up but will not reconnect until I disconnect one and go back into Audiobus 3 from a fresh start.

• Alfred
    Yamaha has an iPhone app for its bluetooth midi devices. You could first try giving one of them another name.
    When you decide to do a firmware update with the app make sure you are using a plugged power source for the udbt01, not a battery pack...
    I did update the firmware on both UD-BT01 to ver 1.0.5, one was at ver 1.0.0 and one was at ver 1.0.4,
    I renamed them to UD-BT01D and UD-BT0F which worked a little better but they both still lost connection when playing piamo for 5 - 10 minutes.

• Got it, thanks @Duane! Okay, that's a bugger, as I suspect this is beyond my control; the Bluetooth section in AB 3 is actually an iOS system component which I'm just providing access to. All the Bluetooth connection stuff is happening behind the scenes, and is built into iOS. With that said, I'd be interested to see if it's happening in any other apps, especially GarageBand if you have that.

If we can reproduce the issue in GarageBand, it'll make it easier to submit a bug report to Apple, if that's where the issue lies (as opposed to your hardware itself). If, on the other hand, GarageBand etc work fine – that is, it doesn't disconnect after 5-10 minutes, and reconnects successfully after being quit and relaunched – then that at least gives me something to work with.

Also, do you see anything different if you just use one of the UD-BT01s and leave the other one off?

• Did you try rebooting the iPad. Most of the time that clears bluetooth connection problems.
    Got a couple MDs and the same name caused problems. Killed one UD while updating connected to a battery pack :-(
    But no further problems with the new UD. Reboot fixes problems with bt midi.

• When an App crashes like ielectric piano which I don't use anymore because of that issue, rebooting the ipad will work.
    This issue is when both bluetooth UD-BT01 stop communicating in the Audiobus 3 App, when that happens I have to swipe up on all 3 apps, disconnect one UD-BT01 and go back in then I can connect the second UD-BT01 to be able to connect to it.
    The firmware update to version 1.0.5 I just did helped so now I can swipe up on all 3 apps and go back in many times without disconnecting. That only works when I don't lose communication with both UD-BT01.
    I only have to disconnect one UD-BT01 when they get disconnected in Audiobus 3 after playing for 5-10 minutes.
    I will do more testing today.

• Update:
    I switched out my Williams keyboard with my Roland FP-30 keyboard which has bluetooth built into it.
    I also have connected the one Yamaha UD-BT01 Wireless Midi Adapter connecting my Korg nano Kontrol controller for volume and muting.
    I started the Audiobus 3 App, Sampletank App and Galileo Organ App and played the Galileo Organ App for 15 minutes before both bluetooth devices disconnected in the Audiobus 3 App and could not be reconnected. I swiped up on all 3 Apps to close all 3 Apps.
    I then started the AUM Mixer App, Sampletank App and Galileo Organ App and both bluetooth devices were connected and everything worked and played fine. I swiped up on all 3 Apps to close all 3 Apps.
    I then went back into the Audiobus 3 App and it said there was a problem and that the Audiobus 3 App crashed and I needed to restart my ipad to fix the crash.
    It appears to point to the Audiobus 3 App that may be causing the issue.
    I will test the AUM Mixer App tomorrow to see if the bluetooth devices disconnect like the Audiobus 3 App does.

• 👍

Would you mind sending me those crash logs?

1. Open the Settings app. Find Privacy, then Analytics, Analytics Data
    2. Look for “Audiobus” entries.
    3. Select the relevant entries, then tap the share button at the top right (a square with an upwards arrow) and email the contents to me ([email protected])
  • sent 2 logs

• @Duane said:
    sent 2 logs

Thanks - but (sorry, I forgot to say) those were actually “wakeups” logs which aren’t really crash logs per se. Any other logs there without “wakeups” in the name?

• sent more logs but none for audiobus

• edited November 2020

Hmm, interesting. So, no AB crashes in there... But there are a few crashes for MIDIServer, which is the iOS subsystem which runs MIDI. I think we might have our answer there..

Those crashes were for 07:46, 07:47 and 07:56 - are those times that match when you were seeing MIDI problems?

• The time was around 6:00pm. 18:00
    No AB crashes

• Update - Did a lot of testing and found that the bluetooth disconnect issue with my piano keyboard and nano Kontrol controller disconnecting from my ipad is due to ios version 14 which I have ios version 14.2 on my ipad.
    ios version 14.3 should be out soon so I am hoping that will fix the bluetooth disconnect issue everyone on the internet seems to be having with their iphones and ipad devices on ios version 14.

• @Duane said:
    Update - Did a lot of testing and found that the bluetooth disconnect issue with my piano keyboard and nano Kontrol controller disconnecting from my ipad is due to ios version 14 which I have ios version 14.2 on my ipad.
    ios version 14.3 should be out soon so I am hoping that will fix the bluetooth disconnect issue everyone on the internet seems to be having with their iphones and ipad devices on ios version 14.

Ah! That’s good to know. If you’d like to take a sysdiagnose next time a disconnection happens (and write down the exact time it happens too), I can pass that along to the responsible team at Apple. https://audiob.us/help/#sysdiagnose

• I can do that, is it a log I send you and which log?

• @Duane said:
    I can do that, is it a log I send you and which log?

Yup - follow the link I posted above for instructions

• The issue is the iPad, not the BT01 or Audiobus.
    I'm running 14.3 beta and it seems to have solved the problem.

Hopefully released into the wild soon!!

• @rebelsoxuk said:
    The issue is the iPad, not the BT01 or Audiobus.
    I'm running 14.3 beta and it seems to have solved the problem.

Hopefully released into the wild soon!!

Good to know, thanks!