Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can you loop clips by dragging the end out in Cubasis 3?

One key reason I never got on with Cubasis 2 is that you can't drag the end of a clip to extend it so that the original clip loops for that duration (which is how e.g. Ableton works).

Instead you have to duplicate the clip, meaning you end up with a tonne of duplicated clips and if you decide you want to change the original, you have to update them all (please correct me if I am wrong!)

Can anyone tell me if this has changed in Cubasis 3? Even better would be having the "alias" clips I remember from desktop Cubase, where one clip can be a linked copy of the other, but I can't imagine they've added that...

Comments

• LFSLFS
    edited November 2020

Hi tdmusic,

Duplicating events works via copy paste still.

To get an idea about the Cubasis workflow, you might have a look at our Getting started with Cubasis clip?

Hope that helps!

Best,
    Lars

• edited November 2020

@tdmusic
    Unfortunately no dragging the clip doesn’t duplicate. To my knowledge the only DAW on iOS that does this is Auria

Selecting copy then tapping paste is pretty quick I find but the aliasing thing (called different things else where, cloning for example) isn’t available

• It's still the same in Cubasis 3 as far as I know...
    ...ie. copy & paste to 'loop' which defeats the purpose of looping (ie. edit/play once use many times) since each copy is an individual midi-event.

Alias/Ghost-Events were present in the early versions of Cubase (I still have the very old Cubase Score box & manuals) where each ghost event could also be individually transposed among other things.

Who knows maybe the 3.2 update will bring some goodies but I have my doubts...

• Xequence also has both aliases and looped clips, but it's MIDI-only.

• @Littlewoodg said:
    @tdmusic
    Unfortunately no dragging the clip doesn’t duplicate. To my knowledge the only DAW on iOS that does this is Auria

Selecting copy then tapping paste is pretty quick I find but the aliasing thing (called different things else where, cloning for example) isn’t available

GarageBand supports loops

• edited November 2020

NanoStudio 2 has looped clips when you set their property to cycle. Midi only. Pretty sure Zenbeats loops clips in arrangement view too

• Ah OK, that's a shame! It's a feature I'm always amazed software doesn't have, but I guess that's skewed towards the way I make music and the kind of music I like (loop based!). Thanks for the input anyway all, I'll hold off :)

• You can loop in Cubasis using Atom.
    Not the auto-extending loop, but play a looped clip independent of the timeline looping.

• One of the biggest fails for any midi-sequencer is when you have to use another midi-sequencer to cover the missing features.

Cubasis is still missing support for scales for the built-in keyboard and note-editor with the option hide out of scale notes in the midi editor. I get that Cubase 11 just recently got this feature but it's 2020 already, not 1990.

I guess in due time the 3.2 features will start to leak out...

• @Samu said:
    One of the biggest fails for any midi-sequencer is when you have to use another midi-sequencer to cover the missing features.

Cubasis is still missing support for scales for the built-in keyboard and note-editor with the option hide out of scale notes in the midi editor. I get that Cubase 11 just recently got this feature but it's 2020 already, not 1990.

I guess in due time the 3.2 features will start to leak out...

I agree.
    But it is pretty easy with AU midi to extend Cubasis midi features, at least for myself.
    And you can do it today if you have the required apps, instead of waiting for the updates that seem to take years to arrive.

• @CracklePot said:

I agree.
    But it is pretty easy with AU midi to extend Cubasis midi features, at least for myself.
    And you can do it today if you have the required apps, instead of waiting for the updates that seem to take years to arrive.

I've really grown fond of LK but I'm missing 'Track-2-Track' midi-routing in Cubasis which would be needed in order use LK to sequence instruments hosted on multiple tracks in Cubasis. In AUM this is not a problem.

Hopefully we don't have to wait for Cubasis 4 to get proper audio & midi routing...
    ...and maybe I just have to lower my expectations on what the 3.2 update will deliver?!

We have plenty of nice AUv3's but still not a single host that supports all the features...

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@CracklePot said:

I agree.

I’d really like this type of routing in Cubasis as well but I’ve have some success with using LK in Auria Pro and recording the outputs on multiple midi tracks.

• It's summer 2023, and we still don't have simple loops in Cubasis? Copy/paste doesn't cut it as any changes won't propagate to the copied instances.

And aliases, why we don't have those in Cubasis? I remember using aliases extensively in C-Lab Creator — in the early 90s on a Atari 1040ST. So good!

Is there a conceptual problem? I don't understand …

• @c6y said:
    It's summer 2023, and we still don't have simple loops in Cubasis? Copy/paste doesn't cut it as any changes won't propagate to the copied instances.

And aliases, why we don't have those in Cubasis? I remember using aliases extensively in C-Lab Creator — in the early 90s on a Atari 1040ST. So good!

Also Cubase 1 in the early 90s on a 1040! FWIW Logic iPad has drag out looping but not aliases.

• @MadGav It seems like a deliberate restriction by Steinberg. But I don’t get it.

• @c6y said:
    It's summer 2023, and we still don't have simple loops in Cubasis? Copy/paste doesn't cut it as any changes won't propagate to the copied instances.

This. Is why I use NanoStudio2. Yes, it doesn’t have fx automation or even audio tracks, but I just can’t stand having to manually replace looping patterns every time I change a note in Cubasis.

• I believe Logic Pro and Zenbeats both do this, and apparently Auria (but I’ve never used it). Can’t speak on others like N Track or MTR, both of which have gotten a decent cult following over the years. It is crazy to me that Cubasis still doesn’t have such an obvious feature. I make music with loops more than anything and it’s always really limited what I can do with it.

• @HotStrange said:
    I believe Logic Pro and Zenbeats both do this, and apparently Auria (but I’ve never used it). Can’t speak on others like N Track or MTR, both of which have gotten a decent cult following over the years. It is crazy to me that Cubasis still doesn’t have such an obvious feature. I make music with loops more than anything and it’s always really limited what I can do with it.

Zenbeats has always done it. It’s such a basic feature!. That and the lack of a dedicated drum sequencer are 2 things that I couldn’t stand about Cubasis.

• @tahiche said:

@HotStrange said:
    I believe Logic Pro and Zenbeats both do this, and apparently Auria (but I’ve never used it). Can’t speak on others like N Track or MTR, both of which have gotten a decent cult following over the years. It is crazy to me that Cubasis still doesn’t have such an obvious feature. I make music with loops more than anything and it’s always really limited what I can do with it.

Zenbeats has always done it. It’s such a basic feature!. That and the lack of a dedicated drum sequencer are 2 things that I couldn’t stand about Cubasis.

Yep. I usually use other sequencers or the built in sequencers (if the AU comes with one) but it can very helpful for apps that don’t like the Klevgrand percussion apps and Vatanator. ZB and Logic both have fantastic drum sequencers. Imo, those are the top 2 DAWs on iOS right now by far.

• I've been requesting looping parts and part aliases since the first release of Cubasis. The lack of these features means I can't really use Cubasis for the way I make music, and instead I've been using NS2 or Xequence, and recently Zenbeats which is great.

• @busker said:
    I've been requesting looping parts and part aliases since the first release of Cubasis. The lack of these features means I can't really use Cubasis for the way I make music, and instead I've been using NS2 or Xequence, and recently Zenbeats which is great.

I just don’t get why they refuse to implement such a basic feature? It’s been heavily requested for some time now.

• @HotStrange said:

@busker said:
    I've been requesting looping parts and part aliases since the first release of Cubasis. The lack of these features means I can't really use Cubasis for the way I make music, and instead I've been using NS2 or Xequence, and recently Zenbeats which is great.

I just don’t get why they refuse to implement such a basic feature? It’s been heavily requested for some time now.

If you ask them you'll just get the standard 'Cost of Implementation' and other Corporate BS :sunglasses:

• does cubase 12 got it anyway??

• @Birdpie said:
    does cubase 12 got it anyway??

Would you believe that Cubase has had "ghost parts" for over 33 years, since at least v1.5 in 1990?

(These days they are called "shared copies" in Cubase)

• @Samu said:

@HotStrange said:

@busker said:

If you ask them you'll just get the standard 'Cost of Implementation' and other Corporate BS :sunglasses:

That’s makes sense 🤦🏻‍♂️ it’s weird that they have time to put in other features though (some of which haven’t even been requested). I guess us lowly proletariat can’t understand these big corporate decisions.