Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Info on using DrumStudio midi output to BS-16i or Sampletank (or others)

I wanted to share the info I learned by contacting the DrumStudio dev since the documentation is rather vague and my Google searches have turned up nada on how to do this. There's a lot of great drum soundfonts you can use with BS-16i and it's a shame to not use them instead of the DrumStudio sounds.

The key thing to know is DrumStudio outputs midi on channel 10 which is the gm standard for drums. Whichever app you use to render the drum sounds must have the midi input channel set to channel 10.

In the DrumStudio settings under midi, set the Midi Notes Output and Midi Clock Output to 'Virtual only'. In the DrumStudio mixer settings, turn the drum kit volume all the way down. Not sure the midi clock is necessary but it doesn't hurt to leave it on and it may be needed if you are recording to a DAW or Loopy or something.

In BS-16i, select a drum kit soundfont or GM midi set that you want to use. In settings, set the Core Midi Input to DrumStudio (the DrumStudio app must be active first). In Settings, verify that Background/Virtual midi is on (it should be by default). For iPad on the main screen, set the channel to 10 using the "Rx.Ch" button. On iPhone you can change "Rx.Ch" from mixer settings screen and set it to channel 10. BS-16i will indicate that a connection is made by the midi icon on the main screen (upper right corner) turning green.

To make it work in Sampletank you must go to the 'sounds' tab and press the 'parts' button. You will then see a 'ch1' written in the top right corner of the part a button. Press this until it say 'ch 10'.

After doing this you should be in business. Note that occasionally when BS-16i is running in the background it will go into a dormant state, and you have to make it the active app again to wake it back up.

Hope it helps.

Incidentally, I also tried using Audioshare to paste midi files into bars of Drumstudio and couldn't get it to work. I tried different midi types: midi 0, midi 1, and a multitrack midi file (with the drums separated on different tracks). I bought a large set of Groove Monkee midi drum loops (1 - 2 bars each file) that I wanted to be able to use in DrumStudio. I can easily import the first one using "open in" through Dropbox or Audioshare, but after that there's no option to import a midi file after the bars of the initial imported midi file. There is a way to make it work, but takes some effort. After you import the first drum loop, you save the song you are working on. Then import the new drum loop into a new song (replacing the old one). Then 'copy' the entire song. To do this hold the loop icon. Navigate to the first bar and press 'set in'. Then navigate to the last bar and press 'set out'. Now hit the copy button. Then open up your the first song and you can paste the new section into whatever bar you like. Repeat this process for any additional bar(s) that you want to add. I've contacted the DrumStudio dev about the AudioCopy/AudioPaste feature not working and he says that he'll add it to his list for future updates.

Comments

• Thank you. I have only a very shallow understanding of Virtual MIDI use at this time, but Drum Studio is one of my favorite percussion apps, and I will be picking up BS-16i soon, probably.

The kits included in DrumStudio are great, but there aren't many. Powering a SoundFont app with DrumStudio's piano roll is an interesting way to get more diversity of kits.

• In a week or two there will be a very easy way to do this =)