Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What monitor fits good with a mac mini?

Hi guys, I'm thinking to go and buy a new mac mini 8gb ram and 256 ssd. The price is very attractive indeed and the specs seems amazing. Beside you can change ram at any moment if you feel like.

The situation now is that I need to buy a monitor aswell. I've been looking into amazon and around Internet and honestly I can't have my head clear with which one would suit my needs best.

I'm looking for affordable monitor, 27" and friendly enough (connections, screen pixels, etc) with the apple mac minis.

Any recomendations? Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• I would look at LG. I’ve bought a few for other people at work and they are very nice.

• LG’s UltraFine series is made for macs. BTW, you can not upgrade RAM later, if you are talking about the new M1 mac mini, nothing is upgradable.

• Ditto, LG 27 4k monitors are great.

• edited November 2020

Yup LG for quality and features. HP has decent quality and prices but beware of their non VESA compliant mount if you want to put it on an adjustable arm.

This one has gotten some good reviews

• @branis said:
    LG’s UltraFine series is made for macs. BTW, you can not upgrade RAM later, if you are talking about the new M1 mac mini, nothing is upgradable.

That bit has me looking at older models. Makes sense why the older models are more expensive.

• edited November 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@branis said:
    LG’s UltraFine series is made for macs. BTW, you can not upgrade RAM later, if you are talking about the new M1 mac mini, nothing is upgradable.

That bit has me looking at older models. Makes sense why the older models are more expensive.

The older models are more expensive because they are the higher level models. Apple has so far only replaced the entry level models with the M1 CPU versions. If you want the new CPU's on a higher level model, it's probably going to be six months or so for the next round and up to 18 months or so before they get to the Mac Pro replacement.

BTW, I don't expect any of the new machines to have user replaceable RAM. Apple has designed these so that the memory architecture is going to work best with RAM on the package. Also, the voltage level is so low that they would be using soldered RAM anyway.

The LG monitors for the Macs do look pretty good.

• The Mac Mini can use just about any monitor, so it doesn’t mater which you get if it’s 3.5” touchscreen or 27” monitor.

The new Mac Mini you cannot change the ram for any reason, be aware of that. I think it’s all soldered in the same chip. The 2018/2020 intel models you still have to open it up and remove components to get to the ram. 2014 you can’t change the ram, and 2010-12 you can change the ram in maybe 2 minutes.

• Hey, I have an Apple Thunderbolt 27in Display. I would assume I’d at least need to get adapter if I wanted to use it on the new mini M1, but I can’t find anything definitive that it would be compatible. Does anyone know for sure?

• @skiphunt said:
    Hey, I have an Apple Thunderbolt 27in Display. I would assume I’d at least need to get adapter if I wanted to use it on the new mini M1, but I can’t find anything definitive that it would be compatible. Does anyone know for sure?

I don't know for sure because I haven't actually seen it done, but the tech specs for the M1 Mini says it does Thunderbolt 2 over the Thunderbolt port. Thunderbolt 2 is supposed to be backwards compatible with Thunderbolt.

Also, the Intel based Mini has the same video specs over its Thunderbolt port as the new one, and the Wikipedia page on the Thunderbolt Display says that it works. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Thunderbolt_Display

• @skiphunt said:
    Hey, I have an Apple Thunderbolt 27in Display. I would assume I’d at least need to get adapter if I wanted to use it on the new mini M1, but I can’t find anything definitive that it would be compatible. Does anyone know for sure?

If it’s Thunderbolt and not display port then you can use this. This is the official information, so it’s pretty definitive. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207266

• edited November 2020

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

If it’s Thunderbolt and not display port then you can use this. This is the official information, so it’s pretty definitive. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207266

The reason I’m not sure is that it just says it’s an Apple Thunderbolt Display. It makes no mention that it’s “thunderbolt 2”. It’s definitely not display port and has a thunderbolt icon on the connector. I don’t think they made another Apple Thunderbolt after mine, so I’m guessing it’s “2”, but like I said... it’s not mentioned if it’s “2” anywhere that I can find so I’m wondering if it’s thunderbolt “1” instead?

ps. although, this page you referenced seems to imply that it doesn’t matter if it’s thunderbolt or thunderbolt 2, as both are supported with this adapter.

• @skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

The reason I’m not sure is that it just says it’s an Apple Thunderbolt Display. It makes no mention that it’s “thunderbolt 2”. It’s definitely not display port and has a thunderbolt icon on the connector. I don’t think they made another Apple Thunderbolt after mine, so I’m guessing it’s “2”, but like I said... it’s not mentioned if it’s “2” anywhere that I can find so I’m wondering if it’s thunderbolt “1” instead?

ps. although, this page you referenced seems to imply that it doesn’t matter if it’s thunderbolt or thunderbolt 2, as both are supported with this adapter.

Yep, that is why I posted it. You should be fine then if you had to get this adapter.

• edited November 2020

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

Yep, that is why I posted it. You should be fine then if you had to get this adapter.

Again... the reason I asked the question is because all of the Apple info I'd found thus far had said you can use an Apple Thunderbolt Display by using the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter. There's nothing in the specs of my thunderbolt display that specifies it being "thunderbolt v2". However, your link implies that the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 works with thunderbolt (1) as well. So, can you see why I had the question?

Just did a little more digging, and it looks like there was only ever one version of the Apple Thunderbolt Display and it's thunderbolt (1). The main difference between thunderbolt 1 & 2 has to do with how the channels are bonded. No speed difference and the connector is the same. Thunderbolt 2 can display 4k whereas thunderbolt 1 maxes out at 2560 x 1440.

The good news is that I didn't realize I actually have another thunderbolt port on the hub part of the back of this Apple Thunderbolt display so using it will actually give me an extra thunderbolt port to daisy chain another thunderbolt display or thunderbolt drive if I wanted. :)

Still waiting for more tests of the mini M1, but so far the tests are pretty jaw-dropping even for applications that aren't even natively optimized for the new M1 chip yet. And, it appears that ram requirements aren't really the same as we've come to know because of the way the M1 architecture works... so 8GB may be plenty.

• I have a 2012 Mac mini and use 2 old 23” Cinema Display monitors from Apple they are big enough and work well, you can find them cheap on ebay

• I cannot find any information about the internal graphics card of the M1.
    Only vague mentionings of 6k or 4k.

But i also read, that there may be problems with ultra wide displays

Need to wait for more concrete reviews

• @skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

Again... the reason I asked the question is because all of the Apple info I'd found thus far had said you can use an Apple Thunderbolt Display by using the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter. There's nothing in the specs of my thunderbolt display that specifies it being "thunderbolt v2". However, your link implies that the thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 works with thunderbolt (1) as well. So, can you see why I had the question?

Just did a little more digging, and it looks like there was only ever one version of the Apple Thunderbolt Display and it's thunderbolt (1). The main difference between thunderbolt 1 & 2 has to do with how the channels are bonded. No speed difference and the connector is the same. Thunderbolt 2 can display 4k whereas thunderbolt 1 maxes out at 2560 x 1440.

The good news is that I didn't realize I actually have another thunderbolt port on the hub part of the back of this Apple Thunderbolt display so using it will actually give me an extra thunderbolt port to daisy chain another thunderbolt display or thunderbolt drive if I wanted. :)

Still waiting for more tests of the mini M1, but so far the tests are pretty jaw-dropping even for applications that aren't even natively optimized for the new M1 chip yet. And, it appears that ram requirements aren't really the same as we've come to know because of the way the M1 architecture works... so 8GB may be plenty.

I wonder if daisy chaining thunderbolt devices works when using the adapters. You’d like to think it does, but maybe not. My mini is coming today as long as someone can sign for it. I don’t have any thunderbolt adapters or devices to even test any of that. I think my partner has thunderbolt 2 to ethernet adapter, but I don’t need that and the mini has ethernet anyway.

I got 16GB as I’m thinking I’ll be doing Logic and I can imagine some pianos, etc might be pretty heavy on ram.

• As far as i understood, chaining does not work on the M1

• @DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

I wonder if daisy chaining thunderbolt devices works when using the adapters. You’d like to think it does, but maybe not. My mini is coming today as long as someone can sign for it. I don’t have any thunderbolt adapters or devices to even test any of that. I think my partner has thunderbolt 2 to ethernet adapter, but I don’t need that and the mini has ethernet anyway.

I got 16GB as I’m thinking I’ll be doing Logic and I can imagine some pianos, etc might be pretty heavy on ram.

If I get one I'll be getting from a big-box store. The one I'd order from doesn't have the 16GB version yet. I'm not sure I'll need it, but since it doesn't look like it's user-upgradable, I'm guessing I better pony up for the 16 from the get go.

I bet it is daisy-chainable. Not certain, but there's youtube video where the guy has 3 monitors going and said he could drive 6 displays with the mini M1.

I only need one really, but prefer to have 2. I don't think I'd buy another thunderbolt display used unless it was really cheap. I think the motherboards in them are really pricey if they go out. I'd more than likely just get an after market extra display and use the HDMI port for that one.

• @skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

If I get one I'll be getting from a big-box store. The one I'd order from doesn't have the 16GB version yet. I'm not sure I'll need it, but since it doesn't look like it's user-upgradable, I'm guessing I better pony up for the 16 from the get go.

I bet it is daisy-chainable. Not certain, but there's youtube video where the guy has 3 monitors going and said he could drive 6 displays with the mini M1.

I only need one really, but prefer to have 2. I don't think I'd buy another thunderbolt display used unless it was really cheap. I think the motherboards in them are really pricey if they go out. I'd more than likely just get an after market extra display and use the HDMI port for that one.

If you start ordering the 16GB models they are now shipping late Dec I think. 8GB models you can just pick up at Apple stores in a day. In the USA return periods are extended to Jan 8th, but that is only if you order from Apple. I ordered mine on day one, which is not something I would normally do. I said if they make a Mac Mini with the new chip I would get it. They did, and now I’m getting it.

I just use one monitor too. I’ll try out sidecar as well to see if it’s worth using my iPad Pro. The new Macs only support 2 displays, so I wonder what trickery they were able to do to get that working. I’m about to look into a KVM switch as now I have 2 Mac Minis, this windows tablet, and sometimes fiddle with a Raspberry Pi, etc. Having an easy way to switch them would be nice.

• @skiphunt said:

[...]

If the video you saw is the same one that I did, he was using a third-party device that did video compression stuff and sent it to the 3rd monitor. It works, but it isn't ideal.

Apple's docs on the M1 Mini specifically state that it will only work with two monitors and one must be on the HDMI port. So, I suspect that these can't chain off the Thunderbolt port at least for now. I'm guessing this is a limitation of the on-board GPU and its throughput to the system bus/Thunderbolt. I don't know for sure though, could be that Apple is just managing expectations at this point. There's lots of interest in these very entry level machines and Apple may be worried that people are going to expect them to be able to do more than they actually can. The CPU is impressive, but these are still aimed at the low-end of Apple's products.

• I think, this may be the video:

Quite interesting as option, when really needed

• @NeonSilicon said:

@skiphunt said:

[...]

If the video you saw is the same one that I did, he was using a third-party device that did video compression stuff and sent it to the 3rd monitor. It works, but it isn't ideal.

Apple's docs on the M1 Mini specifically state that it will only work with two monitors and one must be on the HDMI port. So, I suspect that these can't chain off the Thunderbolt port at least for now. I'm guessing this is a limitation of the on-board GPU and its throughput to the system bus/Thunderbolt. I don't know for sure though, could be that Apple is just managing expectations at this point. There's lots of interest in these very entry level machines and Apple may be worried that people are going to expect them to be able to do more than they actually can. The CPU is impressive, but these are still aimed at the low-end of Apple's products.

Sounds like the same one. I just gathered that if you really wanted a boat load of displays... that it was at least possible. I'm totally fine with just the 27in I have and nothing else. I normally have a second smaller display for email, tools, etc. But, I've been using just the one 27in for the last two weeks to see if I really miss the second display. It's nice to have a second one, but I honestly don't miss it that much.

I'll likely just use the thunderbolt and then pick up a budget 4k hdmi display to use as my second one.

• @DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

If you start ordering the 16GB models they are now shipping late Dec I think. 8GB models you can just pick up at Apple stores in a day. In the USA return periods are extended to Jan 8th, but that is only if you order from Apple. I ordered mine on day one, which is not something I would normally do. I said if they make a Mac Mini with the new chip I would get it. They did, and now I’m getting it.

I just use one monitor too. I’ll try out sidecar as well to see if it’s worth using my iPad Pro. The new Macs only support 2 displays, so I wonder what trickery they were able to do to get that working. I’m about to look into a KVM switch as now I have 2 Mac Minis, this windows tablet, and sometimes fiddle with a Raspberry Pi, etc. Having an easy way to switch them would be nice.

I'll likely get one on my account at BestBuy and they don't offer the 16GB version yet. If you bump it up to 16GB it changes the order to an Intel one.

I'm not in a huge hurry. I just need to upgrade soon and I didn't want to invest a huge amount in the first version of Apple's chip. I'd rather go for a low price point now, and then once it's matured a revision or two, then I'll spend more.

I'm half tempted to just get the 8GB one... but something tells me for photo/video editing I'd eventually regret not waiting for the 16GB one.

• @skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

I'll likely get one on my account at BestBuy and they don't offer the 16GB version yet. If you bump it up to 16GB it changes the order to an Intel one.

I'm not in a huge hurry. I just need to upgrade soon and I didn't want to invest a huge amount in the first version of Apple's chip. I'd rather go for a low price point now, and then once it's matured a revision or two, then I'll spend more.

I'm half tempted to just get the 8GB one... but something tells me for photo/video editing I'd eventually regret not waiting for the 16GB one.

My new Mac Mini came. I haven’t done much with it because it is just not connecting to my display at all.

I keep getting some message about changing the resolution and frequency. A couple of things on this. I can connect to my TV fine. I’m using HDMI to DVI on it. I tried two separate adapters. I tried safeboot which involved connecting to another monitor because you have to hold power and boot and then select safeboot so you need to see it. Recovery options won’t display. My 2012 mini connects to this monitor fine. Windows 10 tablet, 2012 Dell computer running Ubuntu studio, multiple versions of Raspberry Pi microcomputer connect fine. My new Mac will not connect.

Really this monitor is pretty old and doesn’t even have built in HDMI. It works fine with both these TVs here over HDMI. I think it’s time to just update my monitor as I’ve been meaning to for a while by now. I could also call Apple and do hours of testing and submit a ticket to their Engineering department, but that is probably more than I care to do and probably won’t resolve the issue.

• Finally, Apple wants to get us to buy only their stuff, nothing ever else.
    Computer, mouse, keyboard, monitor, cables, stands, chairs, tables, cars, beds, kitchen, houses, and so on.
    That's the final plan

• @DMan said:

[...]

My new Mac Mini came. I haven’t done much with it because it is just not connecting to my display at all.

I keep getting some message about changing the resolution and frequency. A couple of things on this. I can connect to my TV fine. I’m using HDMI to DVI on it. I tried two separate adapters. I tried safeboot which involved connecting to another monitor because you have to hold power and boot and then select safeboot so you need to see it. Recovery options won’t display. My 2012 mini connects to this monitor fine. Windows 10 tablet, 2012 Dell computer running Ubuntu studio, multiple versions of Raspberry Pi microcomputer connect fine. My new Mac will not connect.

Really this monitor is pretty old and doesn’t even have built in HDMI. It works fine with both these TVs here over HDMI. I think it’s time to just update my monitor as I’ve been meaning to for a while by now. I could also call Apple and do hours of testing and submit a ticket to their Engineering department, but that is probably more than I care to do and probably won’t resolve the issue.

That's a pain. Sometimes, the problem can just be in the HDMI adaptor. I had a PC that didn't have enough HDMI ports to hook up to the TV, Monitor, and VR headset. I tried using a display port to HDMI adaptor and it would work in some combinations but not others. It was never very satisfying and eventually I went with getting a new graphics card in it.

Doing HDMI to DVI could be even more touchy. It's probably not worth trying to go through a bunch of adaptors to find one that might work though.

I'll be really interested to hear how well sidecar works for you once you get it all hooked up. It would be really slick if this works well for playing with iOS stuff on the mini.

• @DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

Which monitor are you trying to connect?

• @NeonSilicon said:

@DMan said:

[...]

That's a pain. Sometimes, the problem can just be in the HDMI adaptor. I had a PC that didn't have enough HDMI ports to hook up to the TV, Monitor, and VR headset. I tried using a display port to HDMI adaptor and it would work in some combinations but not others. It was never very satisfying and eventually I went with getting a new graphics card in it.

Doing HDMI to DVI could be even more touchy. It's probably not worth trying to go through a bunch of adaptors to find one that might work though.

I'll be really interested to hear how well sidecar works for you once you get it all hooked up. It would be really slick if this works well for playing with iOS stuff on the mini.

SideCar isn’t working. My iPad Pro is on 13.7, so I’ll try updating to 14.2. I’m not using any apps that have had any issues on my 14.2 iPad so that is fine with me.

@skiphunt said:
    Which monitor are you trying to connect?

It’s this old Dell P1911. I’ve been thinking for some time that I should upgrade. There will probably be a ton of back Friday sales, so maybe now is the time.

• I bought the Lenovo C32q-20 HDMI to HDMI recently, as it was on sale for 220.00 CDN. My M1 Mac Mini arrived yesterday and it hooked up via the HDMI port without any issues.

• I've had an Asus MB16AC for a year now and I am really happy with it. It connects via USB-C and is powered by my Mac mini. The only problem I have with it is when I turn off the computer and on again I have to type the login password with a black screen. Maybe an issue with power, I don't know, but until now, not a big deal.

https://www.asus.com/us/Monitors/MB16AC/