Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• Whoa, didn't see that coming. Thanks

• Funkbox has become a great go to app for smoothly running other apps and computer software with my iRig midi so I am sure this update will be awesome.

It's great to run all the software drums out there. Phenomenal when hooked up to sugar bytes Cyclop

• Wow, nice! I got it awhile ago and think it's high quality but I didn't find much use for it b/c it's more dance and pop. I should pay it more attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I would absolutely hump his leg.

Boosted samples! State saving with samples??? And how in the world did the best MIDI clock on iOS get "tightened up" with "more improvements coming"? It's like drinking beer from an empty glass. Not possible!

Not going to have a chance to play with this tonight but if anyone does, I'm interested to know if he actually figured out specific MIDI Clock deficiencies in Garageband, Aura, Beatmaker and Cubasis and accounted for them explicitly (like, is there an 'BeatMaker' setting?).

• Works great with Cubasis.

• Thanks Morris! I guess I'll have to download it again. :-)

• I love this app, and it just got better. @StormJH1 It doesn't have to be dance or pop. Just playing with it earlier, I got some crazy drone sounds with it, running thru an ab2 preset. The sound is not everyone's cup of tea, I know. Just an example of how new doors can be opened with little happy accidents.

• Thanks, Morris. Great news.

• edited April 2014

wow,nice.I already deleted it a couple of weeks ago (more precise:since DM1 got the IAA update :-) Now i can smell a similar update for Bassline as well,keep em coming :) Only thing i dislike is the UI.It looks beautiful but is impractical.

• Cool, the lack of volume was quite noticeable compared to other drum apps - I often ended up pairing it with DM-1 as it was kind of 'thin' by itself. The bass midi sequence page is also a neat touch - instant fun when linked with Bassline, Thumbjam or a synth.

• @syrupcore I just tried Funkbox with Cubasis and couldn't see a special 'checkbox' for Cubasis anywhere, so it might all be behind the scenes. This wasn't a route I used previously so not sure if there were past problems, but it looks rock solid to me right now at least.

• edited April 2014

@SpookyZoo Just open Cubasis, go to settings/midi routing in Funkbox.

• Hey @mgmg4871 thanks, yeah I got the normal setup view, I was meaning there was no explicit 'Cubasis' setting like @Syrupcore had asked. Appreciated though. :)

• edited April 2014

There is a checkbox for Cubasis.

• Yep...got that. Maybe I'm getting my wires crossed, but I was under the impression that Will was asking about an 'extra' specific setting for those 4 apps mentioned. GarageBand, Auria, Beatmaker and Cubasis. That optional timing tweak thingy.

Could be my misunderstanding though. :)

• Nope, you had the right impression @spookyzoo. I appreciate you posting about it!

• edited April 2014

I am getting the options for those mentioned DAWs, along with "buffer" and "no latency". It is appearing on the main screen at the bottom right next to the tempo. It appears only when using it in IAA for me.

I set Auria's IAA on track 1 to funkbox, tell funkbox to use Auria settings, set up track 2 with a synth in IAA. Funkbox in triggering the synth on track 2 in time with Auria's tempo. (Latency compensation?). I can then record its output on track 2. Move funkbox to pattern B, create track 3 with a synth set up in IAA and have that stay in time with track 2's recorded looping audio.

Further study is needed and if I'm going down the wrong path please tell me.

• Ahhh, thanks @WMWM. That's really interesting. I still haven't had a chance to play with it. I'll be interested to see how that effects timing. If he really did measure something in each of those apps in order to improve sync with Funkbox, I hope he shares it with the world!

• Hi all, thanks for all the nice things you've said about FunkBox.

If you didn't get it from Twitter, here's an AB2 preset with FunkBox-Swoopster-Audioshare that will also give you a new custom box with some Volca Beats samples:

http://preset.audiob.us/QouCd1n7G9RvsCE

I'm very interested to hear about how you'd like state saving to work, in particular. This current attempt was a first step suggested by the AB guys (thanks to them for being willing to provide the bandwidth for custom samples) and I think it's a great first step. My only reservation is it's more of a state sharing system than state saving, since you already had the box when you state saved it, so it's mostly useful for getting it to others. There's definitely more that could be saved, but I'm still thinking about the best way to do it without causing unexpected overwriting, duplication, etc issues.

On the topic of those host compensation values, those are for IAA. When I started implementing IAA I was determined to get the sample-accurate sync they promised as a feature of it, "better than MIDI"! Well currently IAA seems to still be a work in progress, and the timing values I received from different hosts were all off by different amounts, which gave me loops that were off a bit. I tried to compensate for those amounts so you could just hit record and get close to perfectly lined up loops. It does work better but it's still not sample accurate. Hopefully the hosts will tweak things and improve (I talked with the Multitrack DAW dev and he got it working much better for his next update) and at some point it will all work like it should.

Anyway, thanks again, hope you enjoy it.

• @synthticbits. Thanks for a great update.

• edited April 2014

@syntheticbits Welcome and thanks for posting!!! :-) I have a question that I can't seem to find the answer for. Is there a way to string patterns together so that they will play sequentially? A lot of drum apps have a song mode that allows patterns to be set up and played as a complete song, but I can't find a "Song Mode" on Funkbox. It would be really useful to be able to press play in Cubasis and have Funkbox play the entire song from beginning to end, rather than just play a single pattern. I hope that makes sense! Thanks again for working so hard to make the MIDI sync so solid!!! :-)

• @syntheticbits another dev showing some serious dedication and interacting with users -- thumbs up! I've been on the fence about picking FB up for ages, but it looks like I'll be picking it up when I get home tonight.

• @Audiojunkie yeah, that is a popular request and one I've been sitting on for a while. Too long, actually. I do plan to implement it, I just need to decide how to do it and have changed my mind a couple times.

The current workaround is to stick all your songs patterns in sequential order, flip the queue sequences app, and then press the first and last pattern buttons at the same time. It will then cycle between all those patterns, giving a pseudo-song mode. Yeah, I know. Everybody hates this except for me. Too bad, it's my app! Just kidding.

I originally wanted FunkBox to be quirky, limited, and a little weird to use just like the old boxes it emulates. You get something different out of instruments that don't do things exactly the way you want them to, and I like that. I'm a little stubborn about it still, but the song mode workaround in particular is an example of where I need to accept FunkBox has outgrown its roots and more practicality is in order. I'll give in soon, maybe not the very next update but I do understand this is something people want badly so it'll get in there.

• I can also understand that people would like a song mode. I'm a bit with syntheticbits, you can play a real CR-78 or CR-8000 live, it's fun, it's interesting, also for the audience, to see someone manipulating buttons and faders and hear the result.

On the other hand, a TR-808 has a song mode, but this has to be programmed in tedious work, and is not so fun when performed live. Select song, press play. That's it. The rest does the machine.

But a song mode would not prevent people to still play live without programming songs. It's just a question how to implement it into Funkbox. No easy task. It isn't easy on a real TR-808 either.

• @syntheticbits said:

Yeah, I know. Everybody hates this except for me. Too bad, it's my app! Just kidding.

Actually laughed out loud when I read that :)