Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone considering going M1 Air instead of iPad, in future?

Comments

• @Jocphone said:

Does it work ok?

It does!

• What is it? An apple laptop that can use ipados app store?

• @mistercharlie said:

@Jocphone said:

Does it work ok?

It does!

I guess only as standalone app? I mean have you tried to use it inside any daw?

• @I_sip_cupps said:
    What is it? An apple laptop that can use ipados app store?

M1 Max mini.

@Vlad11 said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Jocphone said:

Does it work ok?

It does!

It shows up inside Audiobus, but I can’t make Audiobus output anything. I haven’t yet tried with a Mac DAW. Also, I installed these apps by copying the app bundles from my iPad. They’re not available in the App Store—I’m just interested how well they work.

Slightly off topic, but Infuse (excellent video app) and iPad Lightroom both work really well on the Mac.

• Oh crap! Now I'm going to have to spend the time on porting my iOS AU's to macOS.

This is interesting to know though. I wonder how this is going to play with other DAWs once they are ported to native ARM.

• @NeonSilicon said:

Oh crap! Now I'm going to have to spend the time on porting my iOS AU's to macOS.

This is interesting to know though. I wonder how this is going to play with other DAWs once they are ported to native ARM.

I’m definitely testing this tomorrow. Drambo works fine standalone, and can even be resized.

• @mistercharlie said:

@I_sip_cupps said:
    What is it? An apple laptop that can use ipados app store?

M1 Max mini.

@Vlad11 said:

@mistercharlie said:

@Jocphone said:

Does it work ok?

It does!

It shows up inside Audiobus, but I can’t make Audiobus output anything. I haven’t yet tried with a Mac DAW. Also, I installed these apps by copying the app bundles from my iPad. They’re not available in the App Store—I’m just interested how well they work.

Have you tried running AUM on the M1?

• I'm guessing this only works in Garageband or Logic, not Ableton?

• @mistercharlie said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Oh crap! Now I'm going to have to spend the time on porting my iOS AU's to macOS.

I’m definitely testing this tomorrow. Drambo works fine standalone, and can even be resized.

That is f....brilliant!!!!

• woot!!! I wanna get an ipad air but also a new macbook pro. Just waiting a bit for the macbook.

• edited November 2020

@mistercharlie How do you rate the m1 mac mini in terms of dsp processing? Good enought?

sorry for the double post but the ios apps on the mac just got me really excited.

• edited November 2020

Honestly I don‘t know what I shall think of it. Basically it is great news to be able run your beloved iOS auv3s on a Mac. Developing ideas on the go and finalizing the arrangement on the desktop - great. But for the devs it’s horrible. You have to support two architectures and spend more time testing. Even worse is that iOS versions are cannibalizing your MacOS plugin sales if your software is multi platform. So far iOS synths are cheap and desktop versions are sold for a pro price. Does that mean for us that the time of comparatively cheap iOS versions is over soon?

• @krassmann said:
    Honestly I don‘t know what I shall think of it. Basically it is great news to be able run your beloved iOS auv3s on a Mac. Developing ideas on the go and finalizing the arrangement on the desktop - great. But for the devs it’s horrible. You have to support two architectures and spend more time testing. Even worse is that iOS versions are cannibalizing your MacOS plugin sales if your software is multi platform. So far iOS synths are cheap and desktop versions are sold for a pro price. Does that mean for us that the time of comparatively cheap iOS versions is over soon?

I don't know what I'm going to do yet. Right now I'm leaning towards getting an M1 Mac and actually porting my apps to macOS to avoid issues. Kind of a pain, but at least this time I get a better processor out of the deal. The transition from PowerPC to Intel made all of the plugins I'd developed slower. I'm still pissed off about that transition. To make it worse, Jobs basically did the PowerPC to Intel transition on me twice since he did it to NeXT too.

These transitions are a pain, but Apple does really provide the tools to make it as painless as possible on the devs.

I don't think Waves or NI are going to be dropping prices, so I expect that the desktop prices will stay nice and high.

• edited November 2020

Seriously considering a new Mac mini M1 to replace my aging 2010 MBP. The MacBook Pro has been a great computer but I’m stuck at around five operating systems behind and am unable to upgrade my main DAW so I feel it’s time.
    The fact that I can port over some iPad AUv3s just adds to the justification. Drambo possibly running as a plug in in Ableton Live 11 as well as Bluetooth midi and the ability to eventually use new synths like Equator 2 seems like good reasons to upgrade now. I know it’s not all smooth sailing ( NI is still incompatible ,etc) but I’m ready to embrace the future.

• @paradiddle said:
    @mistercharlie How do you rate the m1 mac mini in terms of dsp processing? Good enought?

sorry for the double post but the ios apps on the mac just got me really excited.

I haven’t dug in enough yet, but I imagine it’s like the iPad Pro, only better ;)

@krassmann said:
    Even worse is that iOS versions are cannibalizing your MacOS plugin sales if your software is multi platform. So far iOS synths are cheap and desktop versions are sold for a pro price. Does that mean for us that the time of comparatively cheap iOS versions is over soon?

This is my concern too. Music apps on iOS are too cheap. I don’t want that to happen on the Mac too.

• I predict that as this goes on a bit, more people who were thinking of upgrading their iPad Pro will go for a MacBook Air instead.

• Wait... so means that really iOS AUv3 will work inside Logic? :o
    That is awesome!

• @Clueless said:
    Wait... so means that really iOS AUv3 will work inside Logic? :o
    That is awesome!

I just played Model 15 through Eventide's QVox, inside Mac GarageBand. It's all a bit glitchy, but when it works it works, which is wild.

• edited November 2020

@mistercharlie said:
    This is my concern too. Music apps on iOS are too cheap. I don’t want that to happen on the Mac too.

I rather believe that iOS music app prices will go up. If you can use the $20 iOS version of a synth on your Mac, why should you buy the Mac version for $80? If developers won’t be able to block their iOS apps from being used on a Mac then the only way to avoid the cannibalization is to raise the iOS price to the same level as the Mac version.

The days are probably over that music app developers see iOS as the hobbyist market with low prices.

• Thinking of Sugar bytes or audio damage which have most of their desktop plugins on ios. That would kill them for sure. It's pretty much up to apple now to figure out how to go with that. Are they gonna offer ios users upgrade path to the desktop apps? But that would mean you would have to sell to the appstore meaning Apple takes a cut of their profit. Or give the devs the choice to allow their apps to run on both or not.

Personally I use the ipad as a touch device not as a desktop replacement. I'm still getting a new ipad soonish and also waiting most likely for a bigger macbook pro to come out and get one. I just hope Apple don't kill the audio dev market along the way.

• I just got my MacBook Pro m1 today and I could not find Drambo at all (I bought it for my iPhone) but Zeeon, which seems to work but then crash Logic when trying to switch presets.
    So maybe indeed developers should first opt out and have a look.
    I will try some others. It seems a 50/50 chance for some apps to work. But so far I am amazed that these AUv3 just appears inside Logic. Great.

• @Clueless said:
    I just got my MacBook Pro m1 today and I could not find Drambo at all (I bought it for my iPhone) but Zeeon, which seems to work but then crash Logic when trying to switch presets.
    I will try some others. It seems a 50/50 chance for some apps to work. But so far I am amazed that these AUv3 just appears inside Logic. Great.

It actually caused Logic to crash? Or, it crashed itself when running in Logic. If it actually crashed Logic, that's bad.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Clueless said:
    I just got my MacBook Pro m1 today and I could not find Drambo at all (I bought it for my iPhone) but Zeeon, which seems to work but then crash Logic when trying to switch presets.

It actually caused Logic to crash? Or, it crashed itself when running in Logic. If it actually crashed Logic, that's bad.

It gives me some error (I do not remind exact what) and said it will restart Logic.

• @Clueless said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Clueless said:

It gives me some error (I do not remind exact what) and said it will restart Logic.

Yikes! Thanks for the info.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@Clueless said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Clueless said:

Some mac plug-ins do the same indeed, seems mostly due to graphical interface so as soon as i open the plug-in window Logic crash. But most things works fine so far.
    Zeeon indeed seems to also failed validation but i still can open it. Strange.

• There’s a lot of stuff here for Apple and developers to sort out. You can be pretty sure that Auv3 plugins weren’t high on the list when Apple were discussing the options of running iOS apps on M1 Macs.

• @Clueless said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Clueless said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@Clueless said:

Some mac plug-ins do the same indeed, seems mostly due to graphical interface so as soon as i open the plug-in window Logic crash. But most things works fine so far.
    Zeeon indeed seems to also failed validation but i still can open it. Strange.

It's kinda weird. I would expect macOS plugins to be able to crash Logic. But, iOS plugins should be running in their own process and if they do something to crash Logic should be able to take them out of the signal path without crashing. I'll have to do some testing when I get one of the M1 Macs to make sure mine don't crash things. But, that's getting harder to do since the ship times seem to be getting longer now.