Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looking for an AUV3 Host that's as simple as Gadget [SOLVED]

2»

Comments

• @DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:

@DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:
    The piano roll controls in NS2 are so clean. I love the little “handles” on the side for moving notes around and changing velocity, etc (not sure what they’re called).

I agree with whomever said Cubasis is the simplest most straight-forward DAW available on iOS. I just can never make anything worth listening to in Cubasis for some reason. Something about the user experience seems to take any nugget of creativity that might be blooming and swiftly flushes it down the toilet. It could have to do with the way the piano roll reacts to the Apple Pencil - I cannot get it to play nice. I hope one day to be able to change my experience there as I can tell there’s a lot of strong capability just waiting to be used.

That was me, and it’s funny because that’s the only DAW I seem to be able to really make something in.

So you went from disliking Cubasis to where now it’s your go to? Anything specific you figured out that changed things?

No sorry, I meant it was me who said that. I’ve liked it from the beginning, though it definitely had issues at first.

I learned music production on Sequel, another Steinberg product, so their style is familiar to me. And it’s just the most full featured DAW on iOS right now. It has audio tracks and you can automate AUv3. It comes with some decent native synths, samples, and effects as well as IAPs. It’s super easy to airdrop projects between devices. I start most projects on my iPhone and finish them on my iPad. I’ve also finished several entirely on my phone. It’s super easy to play on the piano roll or punch notes in and adjust them. I find it a lot more friendly than NS2’s piano roll. I’ve also had the fewest issues with AUv3 scaling. Zenbeats, NS2, and AUM all have some weirdness with how some AUs are displayed. CB3 has been super consistent.

Edit: everything on my Spotify channel has been done in Cubasis 3 https://open.spotify.com/artist/4QdkHVRyeWXy4wVJDE0UhQ?si=BlgkH4eqTKGrcPOUGbpFEQ

One note, I don’t mix/master in CB3. I prefer to mixdown the individual tracks and do the rest in AUM. Mostly from a resourcing perspective. AUM is super light and I tend to be a bit heavy with the AU effects.

Aha, thanks for clarifying that and the additional details Duke. I’m honestly shocked to hear you say you like the piano roll in Cubasis better than NS2. Not saying you‘re wrong, just makes me think I need to revisit.

I’m assuming you are not using Apple Pencil? Maybe I need to try it again (perhaps without the pencil). In the past when I’ve used it, if you’re trying to drag a note up or down the scale, it’s far too sensitive. Instead of moving the note from C2 to E2, you end up on F6 or something else miles away from where you intended. I remember having other challenges as well but re-arranging notes is the one that sticks in my mind.

I’ll definitely check you out on Spotify!

• @Obo said:

@DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:

@DukeWonder said:

@Obo said:
    The piano roll controls in NS2 are so clean. I love the little “handles” on the side for moving notes around and changing velocity, etc (not sure what they’re called).

I agree with whomever said Cubasis is the simplest most straight-forward DAW available on iOS. I just can never make anything worth listening to in Cubasis for some reason. Something about the user experience seems to take any nugget of creativity that might be blooming and swiftly flushes it down the toilet. It could have to do with the way the piano roll reacts to the Apple Pencil - I cannot get it to play nice. I hope one day to be able to change my experience there as I can tell there’s a lot of strong capability just waiting to be used.

That was me, and it’s funny because that’s the only DAW I seem to be able to really make something in.

So you went from disliking Cubasis to where now it’s your go to? Anything specific you figured out that changed things?

No sorry, I meant it was me who said that. I’ve liked it from the beginning, though it definitely had issues at first.

I learned music production on Sequel, another Steinberg product, so their style is familiar to me. And it’s just the most full featured DAW on iOS right now. It has audio tracks and you can automate AUv3. It comes with some decent native synths, samples, and effects as well as IAPs. It’s super easy to airdrop projects between devices. I start most projects on my iPhone and finish them on my iPad. I’ve also finished several entirely on my phone. It’s super easy to play on the piano roll or punch notes in and adjust them. I find it a lot more friendly than NS2’s piano roll. I’ve also had the fewest issues with AUv3 scaling. Zenbeats, NS2, and AUM all have some weirdness with how some AUs are displayed. CB3 has been super consistent.

Edit: everything on my Spotify channel has been done in Cubasis 3 https://open.spotify.com/artist/4QdkHVRyeWXy4wVJDE0UhQ?si=BlgkH4eqTKGrcPOUGbpFEQ

One note, I don’t mix/master in CB3. I prefer to mixdown the individual tracks and do the rest in AUM. Mostly from a resourcing perspective. AUM is super light and I tend to be a bit heavy with the AU effects.

Aha, thanks for clarifying that and the additional details Duke. I’m honestly shocked to hear you say you like the piano roll in Cubasis better than NS2. Not saying you‘re wrong, just makes me think I need to revisit.

I’m assuming you are not using Apple Pencil? Maybe I need to try it again (perhaps without the pencil). In the past when I’ve used it, if you’re trying to drag a note up or down the scale, it’s far too sensitive. Instead of moving the note from C2 to E2, you end up on F6 or something else miles away from where you intended. I remember having other challenges as well but re-arranging notes is the one that sticks in my mind.

I’ll definitely check you out on Spotify!

So I will say that I haven’t tried NS2 on the iPad I don’t think. But on the iPhone, the buttons to move midi notes are so small and scrunched together. And I actually experience the quick scrolling more in NS2 than CB3. I don’t use an Apple Pencil but I’ve used a regular stylus on both devices. I find it helps if I zoom out so that the keys I want to move between are all on the screen at the same time. Using the buttons on the left that limit what direction you’re moving the notes also helps a lot. You can also use the transpose function if you’d rather move without scrolling or dragging.

Thank you!