Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 (chords and other)

Hello folks.

I am considering purchasing Xequence 2, but I want to know a few things. I checked the app page but couldn’t be sure.

Does X2 have a function that helps with chords? This would be amazing if so, as the grid looks very easy to use. I mean the original synth sending a note and X2 creating chords out of that sound, similar to LKs chorder.

Are there any negatives with X2? Anything I should be aware of before buying? I plan to use it in AUM.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• @Nasatyuana

@SevenSystems can better speak to all this as the dev.

But from my working with X2, just get it. It has allowed me to be very productive.

There isn’t a chorder function to my knowledge but the piano roll is easy to adapt to and use. And it plays the notes that you change when editing.

You will need to work with it combined with AUM, you don’t host it in AUM.

I’d say just dive in, make sure to read the manual and ask any questions here.

• Thanks for your interest in Xequence 🙂 There's no dedicated chorder in Xequence (but it is on the roadmap to be implemented sometime in the future).

However, Xequence has very comprehensive support for scales, including user-definable scales and "folding" (I think that's what some call it) in the pianoroll editor so you'll only see the notes that match the current scale (the factory scales include chords too.).

Let me know if anything else is unclear.

• Hi thanks for that very quick reply. Can I use a built in keyboard to record in real-time?

• There is a perfect setup when used in aum together with audiobus. You can easily switch between apps. I am not aware of a chord generator but it does have a polyhymnia feature to generate random notes and chord progressions.
    However the strongest feature imo is the overall ability to move, splice, crop clips over all tracks.
    I love to work in aum but finishing a track from start to finish is something I prefer to do on a timeline.
    Xequence is perfect to organize your aum tracks and add modulation, breaks, fills, variations,..
    Only limitation is the lack of audio tracks, but then again: xequence handles midi like a boss.

• This is the best midi editor here.
    An amazing scale library and lots of drum maps too

• @Nasatyuana said:
    Hi thanks for that very quick reply. Can I use a built in keyboard to record in real-time?

Yes of course, Xequence's built-in keyboard is quite capable and can be used to record from in real time (both for notes and controllers, with various options and tweaks). You might want to look at the manual to get a better impression.

• @SevenSystems said:

@Nasatyuana said:
    Hi thanks for that very quick reply. Can I use a built in keyboard to record in real-time?

Yes of course, Xequence's built-in keyboard is quite capable and can be used to record from in real time (both for notes and controllers, with various options and tweaks). You might want to look at the manual to get a better impression.

Thank you,appreciated.

• Yup, Xequence, Audiobus +AUM 👍🏻

• Hey, just bought x2.

Two quick questions.

1) whilst playing a pattern i just recorded, is it possible to add new notes and remove/move notes around without the sound cutting off? This also happens when I am changing note lengths.

2) IF I am recording a part in real time, as I approach the end of what I am recording, is it possible to instantly start looping what I have recorded?

Thanks folks!

• 1) Seems to depend on the app. Some cut out, others don’t. Normally if it’s a stable au app it’s fine.
    2)Yes, if you know the length of the part you’re playing, draw empty part and set loop to selected. There’s possibly other ways of doing this also, don’t play many live parts myself.

• edited November 2020

@Nasatyuana said:
    Two quick questions.

1) whilst playing a pattern i just recorded, is it possible to add new notes and remove/move notes around without the sound cutting off? This also happens when I am changing note lengths.

This is actually intentional -- Xequence wants to make sure that there are no hanging notes. It does this by turning off any existing notes that might be related to the notes you're currently editing (using a complex heuristic, which might not always be correct). I agree a setting to turn this off for particular workflows might make sense though.

• You're very good to respond so quickly, and from what I have used of it, x2 is by far the best sequencer yet for IPAD. For me anyway. Thanks for the quick response.

• @Nasatyuana said:
    You're very good to respond so quickly, and from what I have used of it, x2 is by far the best sequencer yet for IPAD. For me anyway. Thanks for the quick response.

You're welcome! If any other questions or issues come up, drop them here.

• Do you know if I can record chords while the timeline is frozen,
    I would like to use Tonality to punch in some chords. Is it possible?

• Also, can Xequence2 start and stop on time with AUM, to play in sync with other apps? How do I do that?
    Thanks

• @_smund said:
    Also, can Xequence2 start and stop on time with AUM, to play in sync with other apps? How do I do that?
    Thanks

Hi! Yes, Xequence has support for Ableton Link, so it can start and stop with any app that supports Link (AUM included). Please note that this currently only works on the same device, not between multiple devices, due to a security restriction recently introduced by Apple (a fix is on the way).

• @SevenSystems said:

@_smund said:
    Also, can Xequence2 start and stop on time with AUM, to play in sync with other apps? How do I do that?
    Thanks

Hi! Yes, Xequence has support for Ableton Link, so it can start and stop with any app that supports Link (AUM included). Please note that this currently only works on the same device, not between multiple devices, due to a security restriction recently introduced by Apple (a fix is on the way).

@SevenSystems are you planning to add substantial new functionality to X2 this year or later (and if so, what is it), or is the app largely complete at this point?

Not trying to make you promise deadlines or anything, I'm just interested in your general plans with X2 if you care to share them. Thanks!

• edited July 2021

@ervin said:

@SevenSystems said:

@_smund said:
    Thanks

@SevenSystems are you planning to add substantial new functionality to X2 this year or later (and if so, what is it), or is the app largely complete at this point?

Not trying to make you promise deadlines or anything, I'm just interested in your general plans with X2 if you care to share them. Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback -- There's been significant functionality added in the last year which is nearly complete, and there's a large amount of plans for the future -- unfortunately work on Xequence is not going at the usual pace right now due to issues out of my control. But it's likely this will return back to normal at some point later this year.

(any potential bugfix updates or iOS compatibility fixes will always be issued as normal)

• @SevenSystems said:

@ervin said:

@SevenSystems said:

@_smund said:
    Thanks

Thanks for your feedback -- There's been significant functionality added in the last year which is nearly complete, and there's a large amount of plans for the future -- unfortunately work on Xequence is not going at the usual pace right now due to issues out of my control. But it's likely this will return back to normal at some point later this year.

(any potential bugfix updates or iOS compatibility fixes will always be issued as normal)

Thanks for the quick reply, and good luck! X2 is great as is imho, but don't let that stop you from going further. 👊

• @SevenSystems man, I hope your ongoing kerfuffle with the capricious whims of reality settles down a bit and gives you some peace soon. <3

• @audiblevideo said:
    @SevenSystems man, I hope your ongoing kerfuffle with the capricious whims of reality settles down a bit and gives you some peace soon. <3

Thanks. I think we're all pretty busy with the recent unusual capricious whims anyway, so I'm no exception :)

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@_smund said:
    Do you know if I can record chords while the timeline is frozen,
    I would like to use Tonality to punch in some chords. Is it possible?

There's no step-input mode if that's what you're asking. Timeline needs to be running during record. You can always slow the tempo down, record as best you can, then move the notes into place if even with quantize on your timing is still off.