Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apple Silicon compatible iOS music apps and plugins

It would be good to have a list of compatible apps with the new Silicon Macs.
(This should probably become a list in the wiki too, but I don't know how to create it yet)

Virsyn Addstation has just updated with support, but that's the only one I know so far.

Comments

• Drambo has just been added I hear :)

• edited November 2020

@Carnbot said:
    Drambo has just been added I hear :)

No joke? That would make my day, even if N.I. seems no to allow to download their Native Access to Apple silicon.
    But Drambo on my M1 macbook would make it something special!
    Otherwise U-he, Tone 2, Spectrasonics, some more are on the way and it seems most (beside N.I.) will at least run well under Rosetta.

• @Clueless said:

@Carnbot said:
    Drambo has just been added I hear :)

No joke? That would make my day, even if N.I. seems no to allow to download their Native Access to Apple silicon.
    But Drambo on my M1 macbook would make it something special!

Yeah I just read it on the Drambo thread :)

• Is there such thing as reliable music app running in virtualised environment?

• @0tolerance4silence said:
    Is there such thing as reliable music app running in virtualised environment?

This isn't really virtualized. It's more of a direct implementation of the libraries and the OS support for iOS on macOS. I don't think we have any idea for how well this will work for audio apps in general yet, but I expect that doing things like using iOS plugins in iOS hosts will work. I think there's going to be confusion around mixing iOS audio apps with macOS audio apps.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@0tolerance4silence said:

This isn't really virtualized. It's more of a direct implementation of the libraries and the OS support for iOS on macOS. I don't think we have any idea for how well this will work for audio apps in general yet, but I expect that doing things like using iOS plugins in iOS hosts will work. I think there's going to be confusion around mixing iOS audio apps with macOS audio apps.

Thanks 🙏
    I’m more worried about how this all will affect existing desktop apps - f.e how well/will Ableton Live + Push2 run on M1?

@NeonSilicon said:

Thanks 🙏
    I’m more worried about how this all will affect existing desktop apps - f.e how well/will Ableton Live + Push2 run on M1?

I just read on Ableton forum that it appears to be working well in Rosetta. :)
    I think unlikely there will be a direct M1 port for a long while.

• @Carnbot said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Thanks 🙏

I just read on Ableton forum that it appears to be working well in Rosetta. :)
    I think unlikely there will be a direct M1 port for a long while.

Good to know, thanks! :)

@NeonSilicon said:

Thanks 🙏

For running x86 apps on M1, it's a bit different. It's still not virtualization. With this they do a translation (thus the name Rosetta) of the x86 code and then it runs as an Arm app. Mostly. For audio apps, some of this may not work because of the possibility that there is some code that uses some special features (SIMD type instructions) that don't have an easy translation. Audio programs are at higher risk I suspect. If you really have a workflow you need, I'd wait for direct first hand statements from the developers.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@NeonSilicon said:

Thanks 🙏

For running x86 apps on M1, it's a bit different. It's still not virtualization. With this they do a translation (thus the name Rosetta) of the x86 code and then it runs as an Arm app. Mostly. For audio apps, some of this may not work because of the possibility that there is some code that uses some special features (SIMD type instructions) that don't have an easy translation. Audio programs are at higher risk I suspect. If you really have a workflow you need, I'd wait for direct first hand statements from the developers.

Yeah, it will take time... UAD, Overbridge 😕

• PhaseThree, Ratshack Reverb 2, and Discord 4 have all been updated. Changes include Universal 2 installers for macOS, and VST/VST3 versions for Linux.

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    PhaseThree, Ratshack Reverb 2, and Discord 4 have all been updated. Changes include Universal 2 installers for macOS, and VST/VST3 versions for Linux.

But is that just the desktop versions updating?
    I'm not seeing ios versions updating to allow silicon mac compatibility.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@SheffieldBleep said:
    PhaseThree, Ratshack Reverb 2, and Discord 4 have all been updated. Changes include Universal 2 installers for macOS, and VST/VST3 versions for Linux.

There are three things going on in parallel.

• AUv3 apps developed for iOS can be made to work with all modern Macs (not just Apple Silicon) with relatively little work using Catalyst. miRack is an example of such an AU.
    • AUv3 desktop apps can be extended to iOS with some amount of developer effort. Nembrini and FabFilter are examples here.
    • AUv3 apps will run with no modification, and will automatically be available for, the Apple Silicon Macs unless the developers specifically opt-out. How well the app experience will transfer from mobile device to desktop will vary among apps.

People are probably going to be confused by these dynamics for some time.

(btw: Drambo is simply not opted out. That is all. It will be available to run on the new Macs, but there's no commitment of how well it will work or if it will be supported and/or remain available. I bet the developer will be unable to resist making it work fantastically though.)

• Ahh yes you are probably correct that existing Mac versions updated for apple silicon

• edited November 2020

It’s going to take a while for things to settle down: iOS apps on Mac are going to be a bit crap for a while and hopefully it will encourage a few devs of non- audio apps to use catalyst to make the apps a little nicer on the Mac.

A Mac without a touchscreen is not going to make using iOS apps very nice.

Also the transition is going to take a couple of years for hardware; there’s no rush.

Having said all that I think it’s going to be fun to play with the new M series Macs. The performance of the entry level Macs is frankly ridiculous. A pixelmator ML benchmark for a 214 MacBook Pro took 61 seconds. On a new MacBook Air it took 0.5 seconds.

A lot of benchmarks are showing the Air is faster running Intel Apps using Rosetta 2 than most MacBook Pro’s.

Oh and for any of you with M1 Macs already, I read Somewhere that you can run any iOS app on Mac as long as you own it and run it using the same account on the Mac by copying the .ipa file over using an app such as imazing.

Just don’t bug the developers if they don’t run well. :-)