Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Using Beatmaker 3 to simultaneously record MIDI and audio from Funk Drummer...

Hi,

Can anyone here help me with this? I've spent countless hrs and lost sleep and can't get it to work...

I read the posts below, but they aren't working for me. I don't get any midi showing from Funk Drummer, or any LumBeats apps...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29115/funk-drummer-midi-record-to-bm3-solved-thanks-to-all

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37929/beatmaker-3-record-midi-anyhow

If you know of a way, please reply with a step by step or link to a video/page that gives a step by step for setting this up, so that BM3 will simultaneously record MIDI and audio from Funk Drummer onto 2 different tracks?

Is it required to map each drum note to each pad on a bank in BM3, or just set up the midi on the 1 pad that has the Funk Drummer plug in?

I'm not bad w/ MIDI, not great... But this has me feeling pretty reset re: hooking up my MIDI connects : )

Cheers,
Dan

Comments

• edited November 2020

you'll need Audioveek's MIDI tools to set this up.

Have you tried following the guide in this video to route the MIDI output from Funk Drummer into a blank midi track in BM3?

Just remember that MIDI Route must be loaded on the MIDI FX for the Pad with Funk Drummer loaded (NOT the MIDI FX for the entire bank)

• App Store is so wank

Can you post a link for midi tools
    Can’t find it

Why is App Store so lame

• Some apps have some weird midi implementation

• Thank you for your help this, especially your post tk32.

I've tried all the steps in that video, using Poison w/ MIDI Route and all works great for me. But I can't get the same steps to work w/ Funk Drummer.

Have tried it several times and I'm pretty sure I'm following the same steps w/ Funk Drummer that are used in the video, and that I used to repeat the video w/ Poison.

Is there any additional mapping or steps that need to be done in BM3 to receive midi from Funk Drummer?

If anyone can give me step by step directions, you will truly be leading the blindfolded horse to water... : )

• hmm...

The most likely explanation is that Funk Drummer does not support MIDI output. Can anyone confirm? I don't have this particular app to test.

• @tk32 said:
    hmm...

The most likely explanation is that Funk Drummer does not support MIDI output. Can anyone confirm? I don't have this particular app to test.

FunkDrummer isn't an AU -- so I don't think the MIDI Route AU is needed.

FunkDrummer does send out MIDI -- you have to make sure that Send Notes is turned on in its MIDI Setup. But its MIDI output is buggy -- it sometimes stops sending MIDI spontaneously. The fix for this is to stop its playback, bring up its MIDI configuration window turn 'send notes' off and back on for the pads (the 'send notes' button just above the notes list.

To send notes TO FunkDrummer, you can't send them to its virtual midi port. It doesn't listen to it. This is an aggravating but on all the drummers long known to @LuisMartinez -- about which he hasn't done anything.

My workaround is to send notes to Audiobus 3 and have it send the notes to virtual midi (not Funkdrummer) and in Funkdrummer's MIDI setup, set it to listen to Audiobus 3. It doesn't seem to be possible to send notes from Beatmaker to Funkdrummer without an intermediary -- because Funkdrummer doesn't listen to its virtual midi port -- even if you tell it to.

• Thanks for clearing that up @espiegel123

It's been so long since I last used non-auv3 plugins - I sometimes forget they exist!

• edited November 2020

@dj8 said:
    Hi,

Can anyone here help me with this? I've spent countless hrs and lost sleep and can't get it to work...

I read the posts below, but they aren't working for me. I don't get any midi showing from Funk Drummer, or any LumBeats apps...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/29115/funk-drummer-midi-record-to-bm3-solved-thanks-to-all

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/37929/beatmaker-3-record-midi-anyhow

If you know of a way, please reply with a step by step or link to a video/page that gives a step by step for setting this up, so that BM3 will simultaneously record MIDI and audio from Funk Drummer onto 2 different tracks?

Is it required to map each drum note to each pad on a bank in BM3, or just set up the midi on the 1 pad that has the Funk Drummer plug in?

I'm not bad w/ MIDI, not great... But this has me feeling pretty reset re: hooking up my MIDI connects : )

Cheers,
    Dan

The MIDI is a bit of a hassle -- and be forewarned that some of FunkDrummer's articulations seem not to be sent as MIDI notes -- so if you record the MIDI and play it back, it might miss some nuances. FunkDrummer has a bad bug (shared by all LUMBeats apps unfortunately) that causes it to not listen on its virtual midi input. So, sending MIDI directly to the Funkdrummer port doesn't work. Also, Beatmaker (like many apps --probably to avoid MIDI feedback loops) doesn't let you send MIDI to the Beatmaker MIDI output port.

So, the only way that I have found to get it to work is to send the MIDI from Beamaker to Audiobusand then have FunkDrummer listen to Audiobus -- you have to do some channel routing in AB3 to avoid feedback loops.

[updated after original post to include better information.]To record the audio, you set up an audiotrack. On the Mixer page, tap and hold on the audio track's header to pop up the options. In that popup, tap Armed Recording to turn it on. Tap 'Audio Input' and select the pad that has Funkdrummer assigned to it.

See also: https://intua.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003535066-How-to-create-and-record-an-audio-track

• Thanks for all of your responses! I was able to record midi into BM3, following your instructions espiegel123. But, it seems pretty buggy, as has been mentioned a few times.

I think I'll either record direct audio to BM3 (was doing that some before), or stick to exporting large segments with Funk Drummer's built in midi and audio export function, then move that over to BM3.

It would very cool if LumBeats would overhaul the midi on its apps. I get a lot out of all of his apps and that would make a big improvement in getting things done.

• @dj8 said:
    Thanks for all of your responses! I was able to record midi into BM3, following your instructions espiegel123. But, it seems pretty buggy, as has been mentioned a few times.

I think I'll either record direct audio to BM3 (was doing that some before), or stick to exporting large segments with Funk Drummer's built in midi and audio export function, then move that over to BM3.

It would very cool if LumBeats would overhaul the midi on its apps. I get a lot out of all of his apps and that would make a big improvement in getting things done.

I love the apps -- but the MIDI is frustrating. Like you, I stick to recording the audio.

Does the exported MIDI work well when you send it back to Funkdrummer?

• @espiegel123 said:

@dj8 said:
    Thanks for all of your responses! I was able to record midi into BM3, following your instructions espiegel123. But, it seems pretty buggy, as has been mentioned a few times.

I love the apps -- but the MIDI is frustrating. Like you, I stick to recording the audio.

I haven't been able to get any MIDI to send back to Funk Drummer. It seems things work a lot better in AUM w/ Funk Drummer. Also, I move the MIDI over to Logic X a lot of times.

• @dj8 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@dj8 said:

I haven't been able to get any MIDI to send back to Funk Drummer. It seems things work a lot better in AUM w/ Funk Drummer. Also, I move the MIDI over to Logic X a lot of times.

You need to send from BeatMaker to Audiobus to Funkdrummer. It isn’t possible as far as I can tell to send MIDI from BeatMaker (or AUM) to Funkdrummer because of the way their virtual midi ports are exposed. One could also use MIDI Fire as an intermediary.