Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why isn’t there a master channel in Audiobus?

edited November 2020 in General App Discussion

I’ve been consistently using Audiobus as my main app mixer since its conception. I never really thought of any master mix processors and I’ve always tried to keep all of channel volumes ‘safe’. Then use mastering apps like Audio Mastering or Final Touch is post production but clearly when playing live that’s not an option.

Now, with all the beautiful apps from toneboosters and similar it just seems like such a pity there’s no basic functionality like this in such a commonly used mixing app.

I know, this will follow with folks suggesting AUM and auxiliary channels ;)

Comments

• edited November 2020

This is a seriously crucial feature missing from both AUM and Audiobus.
    Yes, I know to create another channel and route them there. Not very convenient. The only DAWS in the world that don't have a master bus.

• I'm fine with the way AUM lets me roll my own master channel. Sure it takes a few seconds, but the flexibility it affords is worth it to me.

Audiobus - yes, or some kind of bussing system such as AUM's.

• @wim said:
    I'm fine with the way AUM lets me roll my own master channel. Sure it takes a few seconds, but the flexibility it affords is worth it to me.

+1

• @espiegel123 said:

@wim said:
    I'm fine with the way AUM lets me roll my own master channel. Sure it takes a few seconds, but the flexibility it affords is worth it to me.

+1

Yup, no biggie

• @wim said:

Same, I haven’t had any wish for a dedicated master in AUM. To be honest, the use of busses is what’s making me use aum instead of Audiobus, while before I couldn’t see the use of aum. I do miss having apps full screen.

• The MiMiX app lets you create busses in AudioBus, so it should meet the basic requirement for a master bus. Worth a look, at least.

• No need for a permanent master bus, but a master fader that can raise/lower all faders 🎚 at the same time and is always visible on all screens would be handy.

• @Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

+1

Yup, no biggie

Aum doesn’t cut it for me.

• @jolico said:
    No need for a permanent master bus, but a master fader that can raise/lower all faders 🎚 at the same time and is always visible on all screens would be handy.

What if you want a limiter on all channels?

• @uncledave said:
    The MiMiX app lets you create busses in AudioBus, so it should meet the basic requirement for a master bus. Worth a look, at least.

Wow, yeah, blast from the past!!

• @supadom said:

@Gavinski said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

+1

Yup, no biggie

Aum doesn’t cut it for me.

+1
    I prefer Audiobus, but often need AUM for mixing / bussing / etc.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @supadom said:

@jolico said:
    No need for a permanent master bus, but a master fader that can raise/lower all faders 🎚 at the same time and is always visible on all screens would be handy.

What if you want a limiter on all channels?

Make a master bus and patch them all in.

Or you can make a bus for every thing except the kick, side chain them and send them to your master bus for recording while listening to your mix from your monitor bus.

• @uncledave said:
    The MiMiX app lets you create busses in AudioBus, so it should meet the basic requirement for a master bus. Worth a look, at least.

I haven’t used this for quite some time. Is it stable?

• Why do some people prefer audiobus? What does it offer that aum doesn't. I have both because I was led to believe that they are both necessities, but I almost never open audiobus. Seems like anything that can be done there can be done in AUM.

• Visual Mixer is a great way to go. It allows you link a series of instruments togetherand reduce their volume together.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Why do some people prefer audiobus? What does it offer that aum doesn't. I have both because I was led to believe that they are both necessities, but I almost never open audiobus. Seems like anything that can be done there can be done in AUM.

For one, if one uses IAA apps that have Audiobus state saving, Audiobus provides state-saving. Audiobus’ floating palette let’s you control the transports and other functions of AB-aware apps when they aren’t in front. For example, it lets you control Loopy while you are working in AUM. AB allows you to route some apps into others that can’t be routed that way in AUM.

AB also can synchronize apps/hosts that don’t have common sync modes...like link and MIDI Clock for apps that support one but not the other.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Why do some people prefer audiobus? What does it offer that aum doesn't. I have both because I was led to believe that they are both necessities, but I almost never open audiobus. Seems like anything that can be done there can be done in AUM.

For one, if one uses IAA apps that have Audiobus state saving, Audiobus provides state-saving. Audiobus’ floating palette let’s you control the transports and other functions of AB-aware apps when they aren’t in front. For example, it lets you control Loopy while you are working in AUM. AB allows you to route some apps into others that can’t be routed that way in AUM.

AB also can synchronize apps/hosts that don’t have common sync modes...like link and MIDI Clock for apps that support one but not the other.

That last bit I forgot about. @ipadbeatmaking recently made a video about how you can route Cubasis transport controls to controllers through AB.

I do like the side bar on AB. Perhaps one day I'll incorporate it into my workflow.

Thanks for the response!

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

• Predictable window size and positioning. I don't care for the window-diving and resizing in AUM.
    • Access to any app with a single button press wherever I am.
    • State saving for supported non-AU apps.
    • Global start / stop anywhere.
    • Other Audiobus sidebar functions implemented in some apps (particularly some loopers).
    • Excellent MIDI clock sync and bridging to Ableton Link.
    • Audiobus Remote

Any shortcomings I run into are normally addressable by hosting AUM in Audiobus.

• @wim said:

+1. Any bus in AUM can be designated the Master channel, depending how you set up your routing. I usually use the “M” bus for the Master. The audio routing in AUM is very flexible and allows for a wide range of configurations and I’m with @wim that those extra few seconds of setup are a small price to pay for that flexibility.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

Nothing to do with it but yet we’re talking about AUM on Audiobus forum as opposed to Audiobus on AUM forum! 🤣🤣🤣

All the reasons @wim listed are valid. To me running both hasn’t worked out though, it wouldn’t load reliably and crash on exit. Water under the bridge.

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@uncledave said:

I haven’t used this for quite some time. Is it stable?

Just gave it a try, with 2 instruments sending to common reverb channel. Works as documented after a somewhat bumpy start, probably caused by operator error. Current AB3 on iPadOS 14.2, iPad 6. MIDI learn from my X-Touch Mini no problem.