Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio interface advice for new iPad

edited November 2020 in General App Discussion

I've just ordered a new iPad and was thinking the Apogee One looked perfect (guitar input, built-in condenser mic) but I've now read that it doesn't work with new iPads that use usb-c.

I'm not looking to set up a pro studio. I just want to make basic medium-quality recordings of acoustic instruments and direct recording using guitar amp modeling apps.

I know I could get something like a Motu M2 and a condenser mic, but the all-in-one package of the One is attractive to me as I move around the house where I have different instruments set up (piano, pedal steel, guitars, etc). Is there anything else like it?

I currently have a 1st gen Sonoma GuitarJack interface and am wondering if that will still work with the new usb-c iPads. Regardless, it's time to upgrade to a condensor mic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• edited November 2020

Why doesn’t it work with new USB-C iPads? You just need a USB-C hub with Power Delivery that has standard USB-A ports and you’ll be able to plug it right in. (The “iOS connection kit” on Apogee’s page is dated and only for Lightning ported devices.

I use a Focusrite 4i4 3rd gen interface, plugged into a HyperDrive 9in1 USB-C hub with my iPad Pro 11 (2018) and it works flawlessly. The Apogee should also work just fine.

• edited November 2020

I think the OP is correct, the Apogee One is a MFi device and no longer works properly with USB-c iPads, with a hub or not.

https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital.com/category/one-ipad-mac-2/one-ipad-mac-compatibility/

The guitarjack might work as it’s class compliant.

The Line 6 sonic port VX is an ‘all in one’ that has an Instrument input and an inbuilt mic, that does work with usb-c iPad using its usb cable and either a usb-c adapter or a hub (but you can’t plug a condenser in).

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Why doesn’t it work with new USB-C iPads? You just need a USB-C hub with Power Delivery that has standard USB-A ports and you’ll be able to plug it right in. (The “iOS connection kit” on Apogee’s page is dated and only for Lightning ported devices.

I use a Focusrite 4i4 3rd gen interface, plugged into a HyperDrive 9in1 USB-C hub with my iPad Pro 11 (2018) and it works flawlessly. The Apogee should also work just fine.

The problem is that the Apogee one, Duet and Quartet, uses the Maestro software to use functions like changing from mic to inst input, and a lot of other things you can’t access from the interface itself, and Apogee has no plans on fixing it. I have a Duet and email them and they told me they don’t support usb c iPads and Id have to buy the Symphony Desktop.

• Ah!> @steve99 said:

I think the OP is correct, the Apogee One is a MFi device and no longer works properly with USB-c iPads, with a hub or not.

https://knowledgebase.apogeedigital.com/category/one-ipad-mac-2/one-ipad-mac-compatibility/

The guitarjack might work as it’s class compliant.

The Line 6 sonic port VX is an ‘all in one’ that has an Instrument input and an inbuilt mic, that does work with usb-c iPad using its usb cable and either a usb-c adapter or a hub (but you can’t plug a condenser in).

@Strizbiz said:

@Intrepolicious said:

The problem is that the Apogee one, Duet and Quartet, uses the Maestro software to use functions like changing from mic to inst input, and a lot of other things you can’t access from the interface itself, and Apogee has no plans on fixing it. I have a Duet and email them and they told me they don’t support usb c iPads and Id have to buy the Symphony Desktop.

I see. Yeah, that’s a no go with that particular model line then.

• @Sabicas said:
    I've just ordered a new iPad and was thinking the Apogee One looked perfect (guitar input, built-in condenser mic) but I've now read that it doesn't work with new iPads that use usb-c.

I'm not looking to set up a pro studio. I just want to make basic medium-quality recordings of acoustic instruments and direct recording using guitar amp modeling apps.

I know I could get something like a Motu M2 and a condenser mic, but the all-in-one package of the One is attractive to me as I move around the house where I have different instruments set up (piano, pedal steel, guitars, etc). Is there anything else like it?

I currently have a 1st gen Sonoma GuitarJack interface and am wondering if that will still work with the new usb-c iPads. Regardless, it's time to upgrade to a condensor mic.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I think the MOTU would be great if you can find one in stock, I’ve had the MOTU M4 ordered on back order for a little over 2 months now. I broke down about 2 weeks ago and bought the SSL 2+, so far so good, the only thing is that it’s powered by usb, so you can’t change the IPad while using it, but I have a usb hub that lets me charge my IPad while using it. I have a Duet which to my ears sound better, but it has The Whole break out cable thing I’m not crazy about.
    The SSL S+ has everything built in, but it doesn’t have a built in Mic like the Apogee One.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I use a Zoom uac-2 which is class compliant so no drivers needed and it works perfectly with my ipad and usb3 connection adaptor.

• @Strizbiz said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Not sure when they told you there were no plans but their website currently states, “ We would very much like to update these devices to support the new iPad Pro USB-C and are working with Apple to do so.
    As soon as Apple can provide us a path of compatibility with this device we are happy to update our unit to support it.
    Please look out for an update when we are able to make this available”

Might be good news or another hollow promise, depending on your optimism!

• I believe the newer Steinberg ones (ie the UR22c) work with new iPad Pros, and can even be powered by them. I've used mine on an older iPad (Air) as well as on Windows & it's been great.

• @jrjulius said:

@Strizbiz said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Not sure when they told you there were no plans but their website currently states, “ We would very much like to update these devices to support the new iPad Pro USB-C and are working with Apple to do so.
    As soon as Apple can provide us a path of compatibility with this device we are happy to update our unit to support it.
    Please look out for an update when we are able to make this available”

Might be good news or another hollow promise, depending on your optimism!

It was a little over 2 months ago when I started looking for another interface. I bought my 2020 IPad Pro about 3 months ago and tried to get the Maestro App to see my IPad but it never did, then I wrote an email. I still use my Duet with my MacBook Pro so I don’t feel bad. It would be cool if Apogee does update it though.

• Babyface pro fs is really great for this. I bought one to replace the Apogee One. Better sound and much less noisy. It can be powered by the iPad Pro, or a Usb hub or it’s own optional supply. The totalmix app controls it very well (and RME will continue to keep it up to date).

• Any class compliant audio interface should work with the proper connection. I've tried many class compliant interfaces and they all seem to work fine in most apps except auria Pro. You could use and class compliant keyboard like a Yamaha psr-e373. Also works with any of the behringer xenyx usb mixers. You could go smaller with something like the cad u9 usb mini mic. I picked one up for $12 on reverb. Works great as a sound card and has a better mic that the ipads built in one. Another good one which I use is the SSL and SSL+ usb c audio interface. This one is on the high end on cost but not as high as apogee I would say. With the SSL you get two of the SSL Native plugins. That alone is worth the cost to me.

• I’ve had sooo many issues with Apogee stuff on iPad AND Macs over the years. I actually won a Mic+ not long ago and was really excited about it, but even that has issues working with USB-C iPads, specifically with Garageband in that case. You’re much better off with a class compliant interface. I used a Behringer interface for a long time with zero issues and now I use a newer MOTU M2 that is wonderful and also works great with Mac as well as iPads USB-C or otherwise.

• Either the new or mkII Steinberg UR series are good. I've used an mkII for 5 years now, no issues.

• @Strizbiz said:

I think the MOTU would be great if you can find one in stock, I’ve had the MOTU M4 ordered on back order for a little over 2 months now.

Have the MOTUs been discontinued?

• edited November 2020

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm looking into them. What do you all think of the IK Multimedia iRig Pro? It caught my attention as it's more compact than most.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigProDuoIO--ik-multimedia-irig-pro-duo-i-o-2-channel-audio-midi-interface-for-ios-android-and-mac-pc

Then there's this which is basically the same but $50 cheaper.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GOTWIN--tc-helicon-go-twin-2-channel-audio-midi-interface-for-mobile-devices

• @Sabicas said:
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'm looking into them. What do you all think of the IK Multimedia iRig Pro? It caught my attention as it's more compact than most.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigProDuoIO--ik-multimedia-irig-pro-duo-i-o-2-channel-audio-midi-interface-for-ios-android-and-mac-pc

Always liked the spec's on this one but have a deep aversion to non-standard power supply connections. Basically no chance of getting an after-market power supply if I ever lost it (which is very much my style, sadly).

• edited November 2020

What about this? It's compact, has a guitar input and a mic built-in, like the apogee. How do I tell if this is class-compliant or if it's controlled by an app like the apogee? Anyone know if this works with the usb-c ipads?

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6/Sonic-Port-VX-1403709126761.gc

EDIT: The first two reviews in that link suggest it has issues with newer OS versions.

• https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U44--zoom-u-44-handy-audio-interface

From one reviewer/owner

Does everything including Spdif iOS recording
    Another reviewer here said they could not record in iOS with the digital input. But it depends on the app. In Windows and Mac you need to set the sample rate to match the source using a control panel (Windows), or the Audio Midi control panel (Mac). In iOS, apps like Cubasis have sample rate settings. I was surprised this worked actually, since that other poster said Zoom themselves said it would not work. Well it does. So this device can do anything. It has a standalone mode with batteries what other interface does that?). And the sprig output is always on mirroring output 1/2. this is a great feature in itself. close

• @Sabicas said:

@Strizbiz said:

I think the MOTU would be great if you can find one in stock, I’ve had the MOTU M4 ordered on back order for a little over 2 months now.

I think it has to do with supply issues due to some Chinese virus thing... Probably get resolved eventually.

• @Sabicas said:

@Strizbiz said:

No they haven’t as far as I know, they’re just on back order. i ordered one going on 2 months ago and I cancelled it a couple of days ago. I might order one again if I see someone who has them in stock at some point.

• edited November 2020

@Strizbiz said:

@Sabicas said:

@Strizbiz said:

No they haven’t as far as I know, they’re just on back order. i ordered one going on 2 months ago and I cancelled it a couple of days ago. I might order one again if I see someone who has them in stock at some point.

I got my M4 a few days ago from Sweetwater. When I ordered 10/31 it was on backorder and they said end of December at the earliest. Then suddenly it was in stock and arrived about two weeks after ordering. It is absolutely stellar, and quite portable to be honest. I’ve gone through 3 or 4 interfaces the last few months that didn’t measure up. M4 is a total keeper.

• @audiblevideo said:
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U44--zoom-u-44-handy-audio-interface

From one reviewer/owner

Does everything including Spdif iOS recording
    Another reviewer here said they could not record in iOS with the digital input. But it depends on the app. In Windows and Mac you need to set the sample rate to match the source using a control panel (Windows), or the Audio Midi control panel (Mac). In iOS, apps like Cubasis have sample rate settings. I was surprised this worked actually, since that other poster said Zoom themselves said it would not work. Well it does. So this device can do anything. It has a standalone mode with batteries what other interface does that?). And the sprig output is always on mirroring output 1/2. this is a great feature in itself. close

This is the one I got...Great bang for the buck and nice small footprint. I like it and I have owned quite few interfaces over the years.

• edited November 2020

@Sabicas said:
    What about this? It's compact, has a guitar input and a mic built-in, like the apogee. How do I tell if this is class-compliant or if it's controlled by an app like the apogee? Anyone know if this works with the usb-c ipads?

EDIT: The first two reviews in that link suggest it has issues with newer OS versions.

The problems with the Sonic Port VX in iOS 13 were using the lightning cable as a MFi device. That's now fixed and anyway the workaround was to use the alternative USB connection (class compliant), that's what you'd use with a USB-C iPad, so no problem. Apart from that initial iOS 13 issue it has been and continues to be a very useful device for me.

• Perfect Circuit in California finally has the MOTU M4 in stock. You can get 10% off by signing up for their newsletter.
    So tempting, but I'll wait to see what iConnectivity does.

• edited November 2020

@steve99 said:

@Sabicas said:

The problems with the Sonic Port VX in iOS 13 were using the lightning cable as a MFi device. That's now fixed and anyway the workaround was to use the alternative USB connection (class compliant), that's what you'd use with a USB-C iPad, so no problem. Apart from that initial iOS 13 issue it has been and continues to be a very useful device for me.

So the VX now works as it should out of the box with the newest iPads with no extra adapters needed? What are your opinions concerning the quality of the mic for recording acoustic instruments?

• I went with an Audient Evo 4 because I have an ESI M4UeX to handle MIDI alongside. Beware that the Evo 8 isn’t sold as iOS compatible.

• I saw that, it's somewhat intriguing as it seems to provide some functionality of what can only be found in iConnectivity interfaces. It looks like they have this dual device feature in other products as well: https://iconproaudio.com/products/audio-midi/recording/

I've never heard of iCON before though, and some of those interfaces seem to be the same product repackaged in different enclosures so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

• @Sabicas said:

@steve99 said:

@Sabicas said:

So the VX now works as it should out of the box with the newest iPads with no extra adapters needed? What are your opinions concerning the quality of the mic for recording acoustic instruments?

I can only tell you it should work... you'll need that confirmed by someone else as I don't have a USB-C iPad (cruising here whilst mulling an upgrade). I use my VX mostly for guitar direct in, when I use the mic it's for vocals and then I tend to chop and mangle the f**k out of everything, so original fidelity is not a major concern. I do have decent mics and ways to record that, but I think it's the convenience I love, sometimes a line or melody pops up and having the mic right there is the difference between recording it and not. So I'd say good enough for my purposes, but maybe get a second opinion.

You'd need to go via a hub I guess, I've no knowledge of USB micro (as the VX has) to USB-C on the iPad - can that be done in one cable anyone?