Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

turnado doesn't work in AB2 as effect, :( !!

iOS 7.1 ipad mini retina... when trying to launch turnado from AB2, it just disappears from the screen when used in effects slot in AB2, so you can't access the controls, also loopy when used together with turnado, as an output, simply doesn't record.

it doesn't matter how long updates take trying to make them stable enough when launch... they are always buggy, and it seems it takes a lot of months of trial and error (mostly from the users) to have an stable environment... this is the real pain of using ios platform in live performances. aaarrrggggg!! updating ios or an app, is always a minefield... where you walk with flippers.

is this a turnado bug? or AB2? anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• No probs here, iPad Air.

• Turnado fine here too. Ipad2, iOS 7.1

• Hmm..I haven't experienced this at all. This first day of audiobus 2 I made this video with turnado going into loopy (then out to effectrix) and everything it is working fine for me. ipad air 7.1

• Just tried Turnado with Sector on my Air (OS 7.1) works fine.

Also that's an amazingly fun combination.

• edited April 2014

:O

ok, maybe it's because i also updated turnado?? do you guys have turnado 1.2.0??
    anyone out there with the mini retina?

here is the video of this malfunction:

btw! @otem_rellik crazy set up in that case! i want one of these! where do they sell it?? ;)

thanks a lot for your replies!

• I have 1.2.0 also. I tried the exact same chain as you (mic, Turnado, Loopy) and could not replicate the problem. I am using the recent update of Audiobus 2.

• AB 2.0, Ipad 16G IOS 7.1, Xynthesizr>Turnado, output OK

• That sure looks weird. What if you try opening the other App from the Audiobus-panel, and from there switch to Turnado? Same thing? It works perfectly here, on iPad4 and iPad Air, all 7.1, newest Audiobus, latest Turnado... .
    Good Luck for you!

• edited April 2014

wtf!! this is really really crazy!

i upgraded today to iOS 7.1 just because i am having serious and weird sound problems using a 1.000€ sound interface supposedly made to work perfect with ipad, here are my posts at their forum:

http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19335

well... this problem you see in the video, ONLY happens when my fireface ucx audiointerface is plugged in the ipad, just unplug, and everything works fine.

what's going on here?? what makes this audio interface to the UI behaviour??

• edited April 2014

WOW has the same problem, it simply quits when trying to launch it from AB2, but ONLY if my fireface UCX audio interface is plugged, and ONLY if i select something in the input and output slots.

i.e.: if only system audio is in the output slot, but nothing is selected in the input slot, then turnado and wow launch fine (from effects slot), as soon as i also choose whatever for the input slot, the apps just crash (if my fireface is plugged and ON, if i turn it OFF or unplug it, alles gut).

:/

is it sugarbytes' apps problem? is it AB2's? or maybe an audio interface can create these crazy behaviours by itself??

thaks a lot for your help.

• Hmm. ..sounds like it may be an issue with sugar bytes and your audio interface. I get a similar issue while trying to use my akai eie and audulus in the effects slot. When that occurs it seems like audulus is trying to use the audio interface instead of audiobus as the inputs and crashes the same way. Have you tried loading turnado into the effects slot first, then adding the audio interface as the input?

• i just tryed to load turnado in ab2 first, then plugging my fireface ucx, so WEIRD!

turnado doesn't quit, you can use it, and it shows like it's inside ab2, BUT in fact it is not. it works OUT of ab2, even when the icon still is showed in effects slot, and you can even recall it by pressing it.

what kind of issue is this?? is it audiobus2? is it sugarbytes?? is it fireface ucx??

i wrote sugarbytes one month ago, because they only allowed to choose inputs in stereo pairs (1&2, 3&4...) . i had to insist a lot, and finally they answered and admitted mono inputs was a must, so this last update (even if it's not showed in the "what's new") they changed this, allowing to choose mono inputs... maybe there's an issue with multiple in/out audiocards because of a change in the input routing of sugarbytes apps??

can anyone shed some light on this matter, so i know what door to knock?? who should i write to??

thanks a lot.

• I also had some crashes on turnado and AB2 ,but after a reset it seems fine for now.
    I also lost magellan and beat machine's presets for no reason after 7.1 update so I have a feeling that 7.1 might be an issue...

• ahá!

but on who should we focus our wonderful complains?? audiobus? sugarbytes? apple? the manufactures of our multiple in/out devices??

• neither turnado nor WOW work in AB2 when used with multichannel interfaces (i am using rme UCX).

is it an issue of audiobus? or is sugarbytes' problem?

i just can't use none them as effect, and that's quite frustrating, as AB2/sugarbytes apps are a winning combination!

please, should i write to sugarbytes? or is AB2 issue?

any ideas?

• !!

none of the sugarbytes apps work in AB2 (iPad mini retina, iOS 7.1). all of them crash when loading, if my multichannel interface is plugged using my cck.

it seems they can't survive inside AB2, so they crash and then launch outside AB2... is it an audiobus problem?

i have written to sugarbytes' support, also in their forum. no answer anywhere, neither here. it's quite frustrating... i'm just trying to do basic stuff, nothing complicated.

any cues?

thanks

• They work fine for me as well while connected to my akai eie. It's got to be your interface.

• edited April 2014

@flo26 and @otem_rellik thanks for your replies.

maybe it's because my interface has 16 in/out (EDIT: 18 in/out)? i think there's nothing i can blame the RME team (manufactures of my audio interface) in this issue, i mean... what can they do? provably it has to do with how AB2 and sugarbytes app handle so many in/out sources.

anyone outthere with an interface with more than 4 in/out to text this?

• the point is: my audio interface worked perfect with audiobus 1 and all sugarbytes apps. so there was something with the upgrade of audiobus or sugarbytes' apps, that introduced this absurd bug that it seems only i have. damn! i just want to use my apps into AB2 like everyone else...

• No issue with Focusrite Scarlett 18i8.

• thanks a lot for that! i just wrote RME team. this problem is crazy, how can an audio interface cause by itself a crash with only specific sugarbytes' apps?

the fact that i am alone with this problem means... that it won't be solved... :(

aarrrgggg!

that's what it happens when you have rare devices...

• edited April 2014

sorry if I am stating the obvious, I consider you a iOS "Power user" @ecce_cello. Thanks for sharing your creativity/ musicality with us.

Anyway, I don't see in this thread that you have tried the old "delete and fresh install" for each of your malfunctioning apps. Updating your iOS can sometimes cause weird problems that aren't resolved by just getting the latest updates for each app. I would back up all your custom presets and then delete Turnado. Do a full power down/reboot of your iPad, then re-install the latest version of Turnado from the app store. If that doesn't fix the problem, try the same process for AB2, then Loopy.

Best of luck! hope this helps so you can keep the great music flowing :)

• edited April 2014

@htmx thanks! i followed your advice... but it didn't work. another video down there of this "exclusive-sole-personal bug". yeah, i lost some presets in the process!! damn... tomorrow i play a concert... without audiobus... i will do like in the old times, sending the processed signal from the ipad, to an iphone running loopy. hardware audiobus!! ...with a cable.

as it can be seen in the video, sugarbytes' apps inside audiobus2 quit when you try to open them, and say "this app quit unexpectly... send report bla bla bla".

i don't know what the hell is going on. i wrote sugarbytes' support and forum. RME audio interface support and forum. and also trying here... but no way. no answer from any of the support teams anywhere. no cues. no mercy...

i'm just trying to use the best quality iOS hardware/software available out there to make it the best i can!! but it seems this platform is never ready enouhgggggggg

anyway. i never give up.

• Maybe low on memory?

• Have you tried it with other audio interfaces?

• hi sebastian,

thanks for your reply (i couldn't reply before, as i was on a trip). i don't have more multi in/out interfaces to test, but all people here say it works fine. also works fine with my line6 sonicport digital guitar interface. although my interface is the only one that has 18 in/out. which maybe the problem. i have sent you the crash log (using WOW), in case it may help.

• I've forwarded this to the Sugarbytes developers. Lets hope they can figure out what's going on.

• edited April 2014

@eccecello - Just curious, are you also running the RME totalmix software in the background? That could be causing a strange conflict.

Don't rule out an incompatibility with the RME hardware. I have been experimenting with my tascam us-800 (class-compliant) and I have noticed that it reacts differently with different software. For example, if using Pandora, when the screen locks the audio stutters but when you turn the screen on again, it works again. However, with loopy it doesn't do this. My Apogee one has been flawless with all software even when using the USB cable and a hub. IMHO, all class-compliant devices are not equal.

• edited April 2014

@sebastian thanks!

@ringleader thanks for your interest, but following the advice of support's team from RME i switched totalmix background off, and also quit the app totalmix. so that's not the problem. it's only sugarbytes' apps, all of them, when running in audiobus 2.

• I've been running Futulele through BIAS all day!