Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Need Loopy advice: how to record a tight drum loop from MIDI hardware?

I'm trying to record a single bar of my Volca Beats (an analogue drum machine) into Loopy, using the Behringer UCA202 for audio input and a USB/MIDI interface sending Loopy's clock signal to the Volca. Everything works, but the timing's off by a hair, such that the very end of the bar has the attack from the beginning of the next bar. If I'm just looping, that's ok -- they'll match up -- but eventually all of the loops will get pasted into Cubasis or Beatmaker 2 for assembly into a completed song.

I posted about this on Facebook's iPad Music group, and got lots of commiseration about latency. Are there any fixes? I know I can edit the loop in Beatmaker, but if there's a better way to record in the first place, I'd like to learn that.

Comments

• @dokwok said:

...but the timing's off by a hair, such that the very end of the bar has the attack from the beginning of the next bar.

Try rotating the loop clockwise a hair to compensate.

I have almost the opposite problem, the tail gets cut off from last note, especially if reverb or delay is on there. I have found work arounds.

Maybe loopy will get a serious update, besides "bug fixes", now that it's so hugely popular.

Is there better options for recording loops? Are you using this as a live looper or for studio recording. If it's the latter, many options arise. As far as ios goes, I've been liking audioshare with IAA to record loops, you can trim them and export them right in app. (To loopy for example).
    I hope this helps.

Good luck and have fun with the Volca, they are a blast.

• edited April 2014

@WMWM said:

Try rotating the loop clockwise a hair to compensate.

That's what I ended up doing. But I know it's a kludge, and if there's a better way I don't mind learning how.

I have almost the opposite problem, the tail gets cut off from last note, especially if reverb or delay is on there. I have found work arounds.

Mine is: I record dry into Loopy and add effects later in the Audiobus chain.

Are you using this as a live looper or for studio recording. If it's the latter, many options arise. As far as ios goes, I've been liking audioshare with IAA to record loops, you can trim them and export them right in app. (To loopy for example).

Could you say a bit more about using Audioshare to record loops? I've used it to play loops but not record them.

What I like about Loopy is, it's easy to build up a dozen layers fast (or just a bunch of variants). It's similar to Gadget in this regard. Also, I like the colors and the visual feedback.

Good luck and have fun with the Volca, they are a blast.

I recorded a couple tracks with the Bass this fall. This will be my first with the Beats. Neither one is the best of anything, but they do make you want to experiment.

• Audioshare, tap red mic at bottom, record your volca, trim to length, export.

You can't beat volca, love that sound. Here is one of my favorite bearded volca performers.

• @WMWM said:

Audioshare, tap red mic at bottom, record your volca, trim to length, export.

I've used Audioshare a lot to record basic sketches, but I never tried the snap trim. I will definitely be using that. I wonder if there's a way to sync the recording or playbook looping with Loopy. Right now I'd like to add a delay after Loopy that applies to synth tracks but not the drums. If I could put the drums looping in Audioshare that would take care of it.

I like this one by the same Volcanologist:

• I think you might surprise yourself by setting the tempos the same on both, abandoning midi sync and just hitting 'play' at the right time on the volca or record at the right time on Loopy.

• @dokwok said:

Volcanologist

Lol