Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

All these apps now run on Macs natively?

This is a bit strange.

Comments

• Your post is a bit strange. Care to clarify what you mean?

• edited November 2020

As far as I understand they run natively ONLY on the new M1 chips eg. new MacBooks.
    But the developer can do some magic to make it happen on Intel Macs too. Maybe some sort of new universal build!?!?
    This is how I understand it

• I think the reference is that iOS apps will run on ARM macs.

• @wim said:
    Your post is a bit strange. Care to clarify what you mean?

M1+Big Sur theoretically runs ”all” iOS apps.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

Nothing surprising there. That was announced months ago at WWDC.

What is a bit surprising is the idea that they will automatically be available in the Mac App Store unless developers prevent it. I thought it would be an opt-in, not opt-out thing. (I'm going from what people have said here today, not having watched the video myself.)

• edited November 2020

@wim said:
    Nothing surprising there. That was announced months ago.

No.

• As far as I know iOS/iPadOS apps will only run on ARM Mac's running macOS Big Sur.

macOS Big Sur Drops on Thursday and I'll be installing it on my Intel Mac Mini...
    ...apparently the Yamaha Midi Driver is already 'ready' for Big Sur so I should have no issues running the dspMixFX app to control my UR-242. Renoise apparently also runs on Big Sur so I'm set...

• edited November 2020

I didn’t clarify as it’s will be all very clear soon (and I’m on a phone :D ) As far as it having been known, nothin Apple does is known before hand except in rumor.

Point is, this is rather big news for a number of reasons. It’s sort of mind boggling (at least to me).

As good as the Mac is, there’s quite a few different breeds of apps that it could use. I’m sure you agree.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@Nubus said:
    As far as it having been known, nothin Apple does is known before hand except in rumor.

Except when they choose to officially announce it ahead of time.
    https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10114/

But yes, big news ... if you invest in a brand spankin' new Mac. Nothin' to see here if you don't. I'm not a couple thousand $$'s needy enough to be chained to my desktop to run iPad apps. ;)

• I always laugh when I see Big Sur, reminds of a rapper name or something.
    New mixtape coming soon from Big Sur! Haha.

• @wim said:
    Except when they choose to announce it ahead of time.

Right! Thanks. Had no idea

• @ruggedsmooth said:
    I always laugh when I see Big Sur, reminds of a rapper name or something.
    New mixtape coming soon from Big Sur! Haha.

I'm just looking forward to the ugly Catalina Island login screen picture to change. :D

• @wim said:

What is a bit surprising is the idea that they will automatically be available in the Mac App Store unless developers prevent it. I thought it would be an opt-in, not opt-out thing. (I'm going from what people have said here today, not having watched the video myself.)

Yes, it’s opt-out. I have opted out for now, because I don’t feel like being the Guinneapig Helpdesk (and I don’t have one of those fancy new macs yet) :D

• @wim said:

@Nubus said:
    As far as it having been known, nothin Apple does is known before hand except in rumor.

Except when they choose to officially announce it ahead of time.

But yes, big news ... if you invest in a brand spankin' new Mac. Nothin' to see here if you don't. I'm not a couple thousand $$'s needy enough to be chained to my desktop to run iPad apps. ;)

You win a price for this one. This is Logic Pro.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@brambos said:

@wim said:

Yes, it’s opt-out. I have opted out for now, because I don’t feel like being the Guinneapig Helpdesk (and I don’t have one of those fancy new macs yet) :D

That's a super good point from a developer perspective! Who needs the added support issues?

It puts developers in a rotten position. I can already see the one-star reviews for apps that are opted-out. Or one-star reviews when they're not optimized for a non-touch screen or don't meet un-realistic expectations. And now developers get to worry about Apple breaking apps on two platforms when they screw them up with OS updates.

Somehow I don't think people are going to be sympathetic when a developer that barely makes pocket change on an iOS app can't justify a well over $2000 expense to be able to test it on an Apple Silicon Mac.

The more I think about it, the more this seems like a sucky situation for iOS app developers in the short term. Great way for Apple to sell new Macs at developers' expense tho.

• Glad the apps won’t be universal if the dev doesn’t allow it ... it means that a dev will not overcharge an iOS app because it runs on desktop too

• Ok so what does this all mean?. Someone care to summarize the important bits?.
    I see I can install BigSur on my MacBook, can I run iOS apps?. Why should I?. Are all my Mac apps compatible or will everything break?. I’m guessing Logic won’t accept iOS AUV3 plugins, right?. What’s the point?.

Pd: @wim you’re right again about Apple. Love and hate relationship, eh?. Really good devs in iOS but mean landowner. Like when you fall in love with a girl but her dad is an asshole. What can you do...

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@tahiche said:
    Ok so what does this all mean?. Someone care to summarize the important bits?.
    I see I can install BigSur on my MacBook, can I run iOS apps?.

No. Only if you have one of the new Apple Silicon based Macs.

Why should I?. Are all my Mac apps compatible or will everything break?.

Compatible with Big Sur? They should be. But ... Apple.

I’m guessing Logic won’t accept iOS AUV3 plugins, right?

I've never been perfectly sure on that point, but it seems that it should.

What’s the point?.

If you have a Mac centered workflow, it opens up some nice possibilities. I don't. And if I did, IDAM is fine for me.

Pd: @wim you’re right again about Apple. Love and hate relationship, eh?. Really good devs in iOS but mean landowner. Like when you fall in love with a girl but her dad is an asshole. What can you do...

As a user, I love Apple. A few things annoy me, but I can live with them. If I were a developer trying to make any income from iOS apps I would hate them. (Well, not exactly, maybe love/hate them. I mean Xcode is free and damn good.)

• @brambos said:

@wim said:

That’s a shame

• @SheffieldBleep said:

@brambos said:

@wim said:

That’s a shame

I've opted out too. I don't have a machine to test on and I won't be letting software be distributed in my name that I haven't tested. The whole concept actually pisses me off.

iOS AUv3 apps really aren't the best way to do plugins on even an Arm based macOS machine either.

• edited November 2020

Yes, remember to opt-out, all you developers! I think it’s a bit ridiculous for Apple to just assume that anyone wants to have all these apps designed for a touch screen just magically appear on devices that Apple refuses to put a touch screen on. I mean, really, how many iOS apps could possibly give a good experience on Mac without updates specifically catering to it? Then again, maybe it won’t be so bad, DrumJam may actually work OK, who knows?!

That said, the new Mac mini looks tasty...

• @brambos @sonosaurus @NeonSilicon Agreed – I definitely want to do a lot of testing and tweaking before releasing a Mac app and the assumption than any non-trivial app would run without change is a bit ridiculous.

Has anyone else had an issue where the auto-generated/Catalyst Mac app duplicates the listing for each AUv3 plugin about 15 times when running in Logic?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BCKeys said:
    Well, now Apple clearly assume that an iPad can easily run Logic. The only limit comes from RAM amount and .. the price.

These processors will be significantly faster than the A series. But, that isn't what's stopping Logic on the iPad. The biggest issue I see is the fact that plugins have to be sandboxed. Running every plugin in a separate process is a big hit for Logic scale projects.

• edited November 2020

Yes, opt-out all of you.

Then again, why not just make Mac OS an option for extra money? No reason you shouldn’t make money. Maybe make it an IAP. (Can you do that?). Or just have a universal version for double the money.

No sane person will complain. ( So you figure 50% of your buyers will complain (according to my math)

• Regardless of the initial teething problems, this is a super exciting development IMO. Could mean much broader sales to incentivise the devs. Really hoping the M1 turns out to be a win (for Devs), win (for Apple), win (for users). Yeah? Nah?

• edited November 2020

Apple is having the developers have to chose to opt out to pressure them into falling in line so they can add value to their new computers in much the same way they only allow you to update iOS/iPadOS but not to roll it back to the previous version.

• wimwim
    edited November 2020

@BCKeys said:
    Well, now Apple clearly assume that an iPad can easily run Logic. The only limit comes from RAM amount and .. the price.

Eh? I do not follow your logic at all. (No pun intended. )

• The user and all related content has been deleted.