Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SquareAcid by James Navarro

Comments

• edited November 2020

I’ve suggested to the dev to add the sequencer to the AU. The app just came out so updates are always a possibility. 😎👍🏼

• I found it underwhelming. If you already have Pure Acid or Troublemaker then this isn’t going to give you anything new. if you don’t already have Pure Acid or Troublemaker, buy Pure Acid or Troublemaker.

• I think it's the PWM part that sets it apart from the others making it suitable for lead-sounds as well...
    (I'll get it sooner or later).

• @drcongo said:
    I found it underwhelming. If you already have Pure Acid or Troublemaker then this isn’t going to give you anything new. if you don’t already have Pure Acid or Troublemaker, buy Pure Acid or Troublemaker.

Alternate opinion alert! 😮 Different sound. Different texture. Simple to use. AU is going to offer the synth and sequencer as separate modules in an update. I like it.

• @anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

Ok, there's plenty of good options for sequencing the AUv3's already :)
    Considering it does PWM it's usable for way more than bass-lines hehe...

I may end up getting this at some point.

No sequencer?? There is some confusion here. You can see the sequencer running in the AppStore description and @Obo has already told us above that it is easy to programme. If it’s not in the standalone or the Audio Unit then where is it?

Sequencer available in standalone - with the AU you can link a sequencer like Riffer to drive it...

I said there is no sequencer in the AU. The standalone has sequencer as you see in the App Store.

The sequencer is available separately in the AU @robosardine

• edited November 2020

@Philandering_Bastard said:

@anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

No sequencer?? There is some confusion here. You can see the sequencer running in the AppStore description and @Obo has already told us above that it is easy to programme. If it’s not in the standalone or the Audio Unit then where is it?

Sequencer available in standalone - with the AU you can link a sequencer like Riffer to drive it...

I said there is no sequencer in the AU. The standalone has sequencer as you see in the App Store.

Are you on beta? This is not released yet according my last communication with dev and it’s not in the version I have.

• @anickt said:

@anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

Are you on beta? This is not released yet according my last communication with dev and it’s not in the version I have.

Ah, yes, I assumed it was in the release version as well. My bad.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

@Philandering_Bastard - which beta are you on? The AU midi sequencer isn't appearing for me on v1.1(12)...

• Yeah, wait there is no 303 style sequencer? did I misread that as that's the acid sound is the seq. and if the tones are more unique or non clone im confused. Not the first time. I am a sucker and still use square synth one, as midi works for me in stand alone mode where square 2 I need to use a host. Quirk

• oops I just saw seq in standalone. I wonder why not in auv3?

• Ola : can anyone post some demos pretty please friends!

• @enkaytee said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

@Philandering_Bastard - which beta are you on? The AU midi sequencer isn't appearing for me on v1.1(12)...

I’m on the previous beta. Guess I’ll not update then.

@enkaytee said:

@anickt said:

@anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

I’m on the previous beta. Guess I’ll not update then.

Good call!

• @Samu said:
    I think it's the PWM part that sets it apart from the others making it suitable for lead-sounds as well...

Just had a slightly longer play with it, and I can't seem to make the PWM make any difference to the sound at all. There's also no gate that I can find. It's better than my initial impression, but I'm still very underwhelmed.

• @drcongo said:

@Samu said:
    I think it's the PWM part that sets it apart from the others making it suitable for lead-sounds as well...

Just had a slightly longer play with it, and I can't seem to make the PWM make any difference to the sound at all. There's also no gate that I can find. It's better than my initial impression, but I'm still very underwhelmed.

Same here.

@anickt said:

@enkaytee said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

@anickt said:

No sequencer in AU @Samu

OK thanks for that. I wonder why it’s been done this way? Anyway I’m going to pass on this one for the time being.
    Cheers

• edited November 2020

@Charlesalbert said:

@drcongo said:

@Samu said:

Same here.

PWM and pulse width only works if you've got the square wave selected, not sawtooth...

• Thanks now I get it! sick

• Feels like (the wonderful) midiSTEPS and an acid-ready synth merged perfectly.

So much love for this one.

• Sweet! Hey, how is the slide/glide portamento that so crucial to acid. You know what I mean, somehow its really unique. I have the tb03 and program in OG mode and its so weird entering in slides and stuff.

• Does the dev plan on opening parameters? I really want this but will hesitate if that’s not in the plan

• @Fingolfinzzz said:
    Does the dev plan on opening parameters? I really want this but will hesitate if that’s not in the plan

It took a while for SquareSynth 2 to get its AUParameters properly exposed so I guess it's just a matter of time.

• @oceansinspace said:
    Sweet! Hey, how is the slide/glide portamento that so crucial to acid. You know what I mean, somehow its really unique. I have the tb03 and program in OG mode and its so weird entering in slides and stuff.

I'd say it's somewhere between the SH101 portamento/glide and the 303 which is not a bad thing. 'Pure Acid' does a really good tb303 emulation and this is thankfully something a bit different.

Also: in stand-alone mode saving your Patch saves your Pattern(s) too. They don't auto-save without performing that move.

• Thanks Proppa you know what I mean. SO pure acid has that part down, and square is a lil diff but cool as well...Yeah 101 is acidic too. Make that acid Proppa

• edited November 2020

The sequencer is great. Really easy to use.

Needs start/stop from host.

Also, a simple randomizer would be nice.

• @jolico said:

Realized the AUv3 sequencer doesn’t respect host transport. Hope that gets added.

• @rezidue said:

@jolico said:

Realized the AUv3 sequencer doesn’t respect host transport. Hope that gets added.

Just updated Link stop/start

• I’m back for another sniff around.
    Does the separate sequencer in the AU automate the knobs or does it just play the notes?

• Omg i saw a lot of updates of the app. I tried the sequencer in auv3 but no start and stop. So it is unusable. Could you confirm that or it is just me?

• OboObo
    edited November 2020

@robosardine said:
    I’m back for another sniff around.
    Does the separate sequencer in the AU automate the knobs or does it just play the notes?

I think that separate midi sequencer is still a work in progress. When I load it as a midi processor in AUM, it loads with no sequencer. I actually have no idea what to do with it in this mode TBH. If you have an idea, I’m curious now... (I’m no pro with AUM, not even close).

Photo below.

If I saw the photo I’m posting without having a way to pull it up myself, I’d be clamouring “resize that window, in AUM, the sequencer is probably hidden!” I have and it’s not. Just showing it in small window to show how it’s loaded in AUM.

Im still a big fan of the app on the whole. I have pure acid and any other acid bass synth you can think of. I like where this one is headed though and it sounds great. My impression of this dev is that he/they won’t stop here. They’ve already made major changes since release.