Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

"Document Storage" on iOS / iPadOS defaults to iCloud!

tjatja
edited November 2020 in Other

I kept seeing that Pixelmator Photo uploaded files to iCloud, even as i disabled iCloud for this App.

Seeking further, i found an additional setting, reachable over the Settings App and then selecting the settings of the installed Apps.

Many of them have a "Document Storage" setting and ALL of them were pointing to iCoud Drive by default:

This was a horrific thing to notice for me, as i really dont like any Apps uploading to any cloud storage - esp. not automatic and by default!

I never noticed this before and can only assume that this is some recent addition or change by Apple. What a mindless idea to just push anything up to iCloud :o

As i have lots of Apps and several devices, i will need some long sessions to fix things and change all of them to "On my iPad" etc.

Comments

• I definitely don’t like it. It’s one of the first things I do is disable iCloud and any kind of “auto-update” functions.

• You're right. And I even suspect they waste some of the internal space with trash files to force you to store your photos on iCloud storage.

I haven't such amount of photos on my iPhone.

• The funny thing is that this option even appears for apps that haven't ever officially registered for this stuff. For example it also appears for Xequence, even though it doesn't contain any code or plist keys to support this, but users still "think" it should work because it's there, and then send me angry support emails!

Yeah, kind of lame.

(I know, I'm late to the party...)

• @SevenSystems said:
    The funny thing is that this option even appears for apps that haven't ever officially registered for this stuff. For example it also appears for Xequence, even though it doesn't contain any code or plist keys to support this, but users still "think" it should work because it's there, and then send me angry support emails!

Yeah, kind of lame.

This. I've probably tried to explain twenty times to people why there's no iCloud folder when apps have this enabled. It doesn't make sense to them even when you explain it's just a permission setting and that the app has to specifically support it for this option to do anything.

But, that's just Apple being Apple. Either it simply doesn't register with them that everyone in the world wouldn't immediately jump on their brilliant ideas, or it's their passive-aggressive way of putting pressure on developers to adopt what they want them to. Probably a bit of both.

• edited March 2021

@wim said:

@SevenSystems said:
    The funny thing is that this option even appears for apps that haven't ever officially registered for this stuff. For example it also appears for Xequence, even though it doesn't contain any code or plist keys to support this, but users still "think" it should work because it's there, and then send me angry support emails!

Yeah, kind of lame.

This. I've probably tried to explain twenty times to people why there's no iCloud folder when apps have this enabled. It doesn't make sense to them even when you explain it's just a permission setting and that the app has to specifically support it for this option to do anything.

But, that's just Apple being Apple. Either it simply doesn't register with them that everyone in the world wouldn't immediately jump on their brilliant ideas, or it's their passive-aggressive way of putting pressure on developers to adopt what they want them to. Probably a bit of both.

Chuckled at the "passive-aggressive" bit :D well yeah... you actually have to set a flag in info.plist so it would've been trivial for Apple to hide this Settings option if that flag isn't enabled for an app...

It's about as bad an UI/UX blunder as the world-famous "Processing Payment..." message when "buying" a FREE app! (since iOS 11? and still not fixed)