Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Very confused -seeking help

I have:
-Roland F-140R piano

On my iPad (recent with 14.1), I have:
-Cubasis 2
-Roland Sound Canvas (app)
-Audiobus

What I would like to do:
-Play my piano accompanied by instruments on downloaded midi files in Cubasis, using sounds from the Sound Canvas, using the speakers on the piano.

Heck, it was a lot easier in the 90’s using MOTU, an SC, an electric piano and a bunch of MIDI wires. Although then I wasn’t downloading MIDI files but creating everything from scratch.

Any suggestions and/or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

Much obliged.

Daniel

p.s. My iPad is wired (usb) to the piano. I prefer not using Bluetooth.

Comments

• edited October 2020

I see you just joined. Welcome aboard. You must use an Apple Camera Connection Kit (adaptor, called a CCK). If it is just usb connecting the keyboard it will not work. You can ask any question here. Folks are very generous with their knowledge.

This adaptor allows plug in of power supply as well. Do not buy a third party adaptor even tho they are a lot cheaper. They are often faulty.

• I’m using a Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, with a USB 2.0 A to B Cable. The piano has USB -B input for MIDI, according to piano manual.

• edited October 2020

Well, that’s one issue out of the way. How have you recorded in Cubasis before?

I checked the manual. It seems display of a device is linked to the page turning feature being disabled?

Hold down the metronome button? Is it possible this keyboard only connects with Bluetooth? Also, is your adaptor by Apple?

• Also, I am able to use and hear Cubasis on the piano though I’m unable to control track volumes. I just can’t seem to use SC in between.

• What version of iOS are you on? Sound Canvas is not compatible with iOS 14 unfortunately.

• Are you running SC standalone, or hosting it in an app?

• So the internal sounds in Cubasis are functional?

• @LinearLineman said:
    So the internal sounds in Cubasis are functional?

Yep.

Ps. I’m trying to reply to some of your posts, but having difficulty with site.

• @hypnopad said:
    What version of iOS are you on? Sound Canvas is not compatible with iOS 14 unfortunately.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Well, that’s one issue out of the way. How have you recorded in Cubasis before?

I checked the manual. It seems display of a device is linked to the page turning feature being disabled?

Hold down the metronome button? Is it possible this keyboard only connects with Bluetooth? Also, is your adaptor by Apple?

Lol, I think I have the manual memorized. Page turn is off and MIDI setting is on.

• @LinearLineman said:
    So the internal sounds in Cubasis are functional?

I think that’s what’s confusing me.

• I’m able to use Cubasis and SC together but only on the iPad.

• @hypnopad said:
    What version of iOS are you on? Sound Canvas is not compatible with iOS 14 unfortunately.

What part of Sound Canvas is not compatible with iOS14?!

It's working perfectly fine (iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.1 & iPhone 8, iOS14.1) as an IAA Generator in most hosts and stand-alone.
    (I've used with Cubasis 3, AUM, AudioBus, ZenBeats, BM3, GarageBand and IDAM (Lightning->Mac) and a few other hosts without issues by just launching the app prior to making any IAA connections to it).

Cheers!

• edited October 2020

You are using SC with Audiobus, correct? You might try contacting Lars @LFS at Steinberg if all else fails. I figured @Samu would have some insight

• You need to describe how you set up Cubasis and SoundCanvas. Each step, from the beginning.

• @LinearLineman said:
    You are using SC with Audiobus, correct? You might try contacting Lars @LFS at Steinberg if all else fails. I figured @Samu would have some insight

I think the problem (with me) is configuring Audiobus correctly, not knowing what comes first, second then third.

• Actually you do not need AudioBus to get this to work at all.
    If you can already hear the sound from Cubasis on your keyboard you're half-way home!

In SoundCanvas app you need to enable the (Menu > Core MIDI Setup) Virtual Midi BACK GROUND.
    This way other apps will 'see' SoundCanvas when it's not visible on the screen.

After that create an AudioTrack in Cubasis, and load the SoundCanvas IAA on it.
    (If you Cubasis project uses the SoundCanvas remember to launch SoundCanvas first before launching Cubasis to avoid connection issues).

Now you can create Midi Tracks in Cubasis as usual and select the SoundCanvas as the midi destination.

That should do it...
    (Just tried on both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 8 using Cubasis 3 but the procedure is same in Cubasis 2).

Cheers!

• @Samu said:

@hypnopad said:

What part of Sound Canvas is not compatible with iOS14?!

It's working perfectly fine (iPad Air 2, iPadOS14.1 & iPhone 8, iOS14.1) as an IAA Generator in most hosts and stand-alone.
    (I've used with Cubasis 3, AUM, AudioBus, ZenBeats, BM3, GarageBand and IDAM (Lightning->Mac) and a few other hosts without issues by just launching the app prior to making any IAA connections to it).

Cheers!

Not from experience since I don’t have it but it’s the first thing stated in their app description page.

• edited October 2020

Just skip audiobus and SC altogether, start with Cubasis, then narrow it down adding more stuff.
    Next thing, better replace IAA apps with AUV3... Soundfonts, Korg Module etc. Esp avoid apps with red marker; No ios14 :D

• @hypnopad said:

Not from experience since I don’t have it but it’s the first thing stated in their app description page.

Actually kinda weird statement from Roland (or the developer) since it's working just fine!
    Maybe they don't want people to buy it to avoid supporting it or something...

Wonder if @MatthewAtZenbeats has some insight as to why Roland has tagged the app as 'not working'?!

Cheers!

• edited October 2020

In Roland Zenbeats - Tutorial: Part 10, Midi Sequencer for Roland SoundCanvas

• @Samu said:
    Actually you do not need AudioBus to get this to work at all.
    If you can already hear the sound from Cubasis on your keyboard you're half-way home!

In SoundCanvas app you need to enable the (Menu > Core MIDI Setup) Virtual Midi BACK GROUND.
    This way other apps will 'see' SoundCanvas when it's not visible on the screen.

After that create an AudioTrack in Cubasis, and load the SoundCanvas IAA on it.
    (If you Cubasis project uses the SoundCanvas remember to launch SoundCanvas first before launching Cubasis to avoid connection issues).

Now you can create Midi Tracks in Cubasis as usual and select the SoundCanvas as the midi destination.

That should do it...
    (Just tried on both my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 8 using Cubasis 3 but the procedure is same in Cubasis 2).

Cheers!

Will definitely try those steps. Sadly I have to step away until tomorrow. I will let you guys (people) know how it goes then.

I really appreciate all of your input (no pun intended).

D.

• My Page Turning setting is off and set for MIDI. It appears that I’m running iOS 13 since it’s prompting me to update to 14.1.

I’m able to run Cubasis and SC on the iPad, only.

As for hosting/standalone, I think that’s what’s confusing me.

• My Page Turning setting is off and set for MIDI. I think I have that manual memorized.

It appears that I’m running iOS 13 since it’s prompting me to update to 14.1.

• My Page Turning setting is off and set for MIDI. I think I have that manual memorized.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Are you running SC standalone, or hosting it in an app?

My Page Turning setting is off and set for MIDI. I think I have that manual memorized.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    Are you running SC standalone, or hosting it in an app?

My Page Turning setting is off and set for MIDI. I think I have that manual memorized.