Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The best iOS app to chop one-shots is...

2»

Comments

• Samplist. You can add slices and export them to individual files in a zip

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@Krupa said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Excellent advice, @anickt and @robosardine

Will dive in soon. (Although I just against all better judgment bought Pure Acid, and now I've spent the past hour in a haze where my house has turned into Camden Market circa 1990 and I'm browsing the cassette booths of acid house dj's.)

I had so so many of those tapes :)

Right? All neon spines. Where are they now?

I've no idea to be honest, I think they probably got left behind when I left my studio in 2006 and subsequently cleared out when they sold the place, we'd collected so much madness there that we had to just give away and dump loads of it...

• @skrat said:
    To me BM3 is the best, it has transients detection or you can have the loop cut every frction of a beat, e.g. 1/16 etc. Also, time stretching is decent quality, which is rare on iOS.
    Another plus is nice integrated file browser.

Did not Auditor also add transient detection?

• @espiegel123 said:

@pete12000 said:
    I need an app recommendation, and bonus points if I already own it.

My goal is to create "kits" of one-shots sourced from cool iOS apps, that I can load into my h/w groovebox (Digitakt).

The idea is that I record a dozen or so hits in AUM, spaced out, into a single WAV file. I'd like to do many of these WAV files.

What's the best app to take those single files of multiple hits, and chop it into a dozen one-shots?

I already own:

• AudioShare - it's not terribly precise for chopping; seems to automatically create new files with every chop, every normalize, etc.
    • BM3 - didn't gel with it, so I don't know it well
    • Cubasis 3
    • Logic - maybe the new Quick Sampler can export a kit? I don't have much experience with it yet

or maybe something else?

Auditor -- hands down.

This 👆🏻

• Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Auditor can clearly do the job, but it looks complex.

I've been eyeing Koala anyway, so maybe I'll grab that one. Does Koala allow you to export the individual chops? Also, when you're working with Koala normally, can you export stems of your sequences? I'd want the ability to export and mix/arrange in Logic, which is where I finish stuff. There's not much documentation online.

I played around with BM3 yesterday, and it appears to do what I need... but man... I remember why I dropped this app the first time. What a mess.

Another option may be Audacity. It has a "sound detection" feature and the ability to split based on markers. Per the manual, you can use the marker labels to name the chopped files, which would be a huge timesaver.
    https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/splitting_a_recording_into_separate_tracks.html

• edited October 2020

@tja said:

@skrat said:
    To me BM3 is the best, it has transients detection or you can have the loop cut every frction of a beat, e.g. 1/16 etc. Also, time stretching is decent quality, which is rare on iOS.

Honestly I never bought it although I was thinking about that but I can do the same (at least everythig I needed so far) in BM3. In fact, I was mostly discouraged by the ugly UI, otherwise apps accumulation syndrome would play its part 😉

• @tja said:

@skrat said:

It does

• @pete12000 said:
    Thanks for all the responses everyone!

Auditor can clearly do the job, but it looks complex.

I've been eyeing Koala anyway, so maybe I'll grab that one. Does Koala allow you to export the individual chops? Also, when you're working with Koala normally, can you export stems of your sequences? I'd want the ability to export and mix/arrange in Logic, which is where I finish stuff. There's not much documentation online.

I played around with BM3 yesterday, and it appears to do what I need... but man... I remember why I dropped this app the first time. What a mess.

Another option may be Audacity. It has a "sound detection" feature and the ability to split based on markers. Per the manual, you can use the marker labels to name the chopped files, which would be a huge timesaver.
    https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/splitting_a_recording_into_separate_tracks.html

Auditor is not actually complex, btw. There are a couple of conventions to learn, but it can be learned in a few minutes.

I am curious to know what it is that people find complex and can elucidate.

Basically, you use transport controls to play and more the play head. You can split audio into regions (events) by splitting at the playhead. And you can apply some simple effects (like Normalize) to selected regions.

Regions can be moved around. Overlapping them automatically crossfade them. You can have multiple layers (which are like tracks) that have their own level and pan.

And it has time-stretching and looping and slicing tools.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@skrat said:

It does

Transient detection in Auditor is great, but for the OP’s application (which is similar to something I do often) listening to my file and chopping the keepers out manually is actually quicker overall in my experience. I’d do a video to illustrate but I just don’t have time.

• @anickt said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tja said:

@skrat said:

It does

Transient detection in Auditor is great, but for the OP’s application (which is similar to something I do often) listening to my file and chopping the keepers out manually is actually quicker overall in my experience. I’d do a video to illustrate but I just don’t have time.

And this is also easily done in Auditor (for those that don’t know). One can place markers on the fly, adjust them and then use them to split the file. You can export all the regions as files or just a selected one.

• @pete12000 said:
    I've been eyeing Koala anyway, so maybe I'll grab that one. Does Koala allow you to export the individual chops? Also, when you're working with Koala normally, can you export stems of your sequences?

Yes and yes