Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioKit House Mark I electric piano released! Walkthrough video

13»

Comments

• I talked to Matt about this. It’s like that because it is an exact emulation of that piece of hardware, which exhibits this very behaviour.

• @Gavinski said:
    I talked to Matt about this. It’s like that because it is an exact emulation of that piece of hardware, which exhibits this very behaviour.

Ahh. That's good to know. Thanks!

• Reversing the y axis velocity on the iaa keyboard so that hard velocity is triggered at the top rather than the bottom of a key is one workaround. Wish AUM keyboard could do that too, mind you.

• @Gavinski said:
    I talked to Matt about this. It’s like that because it is an exact emulation of that piece of hardware, which exhibits this very behaviour.

Interesting, I did wonder. With an external keyboard it's actually pretty cool to have that clear accent on heavy notes. It's taken a bit of practice to start developing the skills to hit that zone intentionally or stay below it (grateful for the motivation to improve in this area). Playing a chord and emphasising one note or using the accent to add extra groove to rhythms, I'm really excited by the musical possibilities.

• Also, I notice a fair amount of hiss (not necessarily in the samples by the way).
    Increase the volume and listen for instance to A2, at low velocity values : there is a strong hiss during the first second which suddenly cuts while the sample still lasts several seconds. Did anyone else noticed that ?
    It is strange because it doesn’t seem to be related to the samples. So maybe it is something that can be fixed ?

• @Paulo164 said:
    Also, I notice a fair amount of hiss (not necessarily in the samples by the way).
    Increase the volume and listen for instance to A2, at low velocity values : there is a strong hiss during the first second which suddenly cuts while the sample still lasts several seconds. Did anyone else noticed that ?
    It is strange because it doesn’t seem to be related to the samples. So maybe it is something that can be fixed ?

Ok, I figured out that the hiss was coming from the release samples (key off) and pedal noise sample. So I turned these off and it’s a lot better. I still can hear note sample hiss, particularly at the top of the lowest velocity level.

• This led me straight back to NeoSoul studio. Still the best but admittedly I’m not too much into sparkly bell sounds and lean more towards meaty and slightly hot models.

• Yeah, I am not keen on posting negative comments about apps, and really sorry for that one...

• @Paulo164 said:
    Yeah, I am not keen on posting negative comments about apps, and really sorry for that one...

I didn't take it as a negative comment. You were just observing something actually happening. That kind of feedback can lead to problems being resolved. Or, like in the case of the velocity layers, an answer that it's by design. That helps others to decide if the app is right for them or not.

• I want to buy this app, but I would like to know if it's stable in AUM?

• edited November 2020

@Montreal_Music said:
    I want to buy this app, but I would like to know if it's stable in AUM?

Hello,
    I have 2 experiences. On my 6th gen iPad can crash, but I do on it just everything (I mean browsing, watching YT, watching Eurosport, and so on. And I have constantly open AUM with 2 channels for checking instruments, patches, and some other stuff. On my 11'' Pro is stable with 6 other AUv3's. Hope it can help a little. But the price is/was a no-brainer.

• @Montreal_Music said:
    I want to buy this app, but I would like to know if it's stable in AUM?

Had been stable for me on my 3rd gen Pro, iOS 13.7

• For some reason House Mark I crashes in Audiobus 3 on iOS 12.4.1 iPhone XR .
    It shows up with a weird name Morehouse ?
    Than it I try launch it the restart dialog appears , but restart doesn’t help.

Anyone got it working in Audiobus at all?

Here are the screenshots of the issue

• @jazzroom said:
    For some reason House Mark I crashes in Audiobus 3 on iOS 12.4.1 iPhone XR .

🙄 same here!

• @cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

I think it’s because you’re opening the standalone version. Tap on Audio Units (in the first picture), then select House Mark 1

• edited February 2021

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

@seonnthaproducer said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

I think it’s because you’re opening the standalone version. Tap on Audio Units (in the first picture), then select House Mark 1

Thanks for replies !
    Audio Unit does opens House Mark 1 !
    Great , but for some reason it doesn’t respond to my external midi keyboard Novation Launchkey Mini ....
    It looks like House Mark 1 doesn’t receive midi when open in Audiobus...
    It does works and plays with external MIDI keyboard in stand alone though.
    What am I doing wrong?

• @jazzroom said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

@seonnthaproducer said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

Thanks for replies !
    Great , but for some reason it doesn’t respond to my external midi keyboard Novation Launchkey Mini ....
    What am I doing wrong?

If you are opening an AU, you need to tell the host to send MIDI from your keyboard to the AU. In Audiobus, there is a MIDI page for routing MIDI.

• @jazzroom said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

@seonnthaproducer said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

Thanks for replies !
    What am I doing wrong?

Add it from the MIDI section. The output should be the House Mark 1, and go to the Input, tap on System, and select the Novation Launchkey.

Hope this helps. Also, do you use Ampify Groove box? I have the same keyboard and that app was designed for that keyboard.

• @Gavinski said:
    Regarding cpu - just tested again. 1 instance brings my iPad Pro from zero to almost 40 on the cpu. Definitely room for improvement there!!

I wonder if this takes CPU throttling into account?

• It doesn’t. This is why I now hate it when people ask me what an app is like on cpu. I have no idea how to give a meaningful answer.

• @seonnthaproducer said:

@jazzroom said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

@seonnthaproducer said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

Thanks for replies !
    What am I doing wrong?

Add it from the MIDI section. The output should be the House Mark 1, and go to the Input, tap on System, and select the Novation Launchkey.

Hope this helps. Also, do you use Ampify Groove box? I have the same keyboard and that app was designed for that keyboard.

Thanks for help - it works now!
    128 latency settings in Audiobus 3 , iPhone XR iOS 12.4.1 about 37% CPU for House Mark 1.

Haven’t heard of Ampify Groovebox .. is it worth checkin’?

• edited February 2021

@jazzroom said:

@seonnthaproducer said:

@jazzroom said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

@seonnthaproducer said:

@cazel said:

@jazzroom said:

🙄 same here!

Thanks for replies !
    What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for help - it works now!
    128 latency settings in Audiobus 3 , iPhone XR iOS 12.4.1 about 37% CPU for House Mark 1.

Haven’t heard of Ampify Groovebox .. is it worth checkin’?

I believe it is. It's a free iOS app and is one of the quickest ways I use to make music.

Here's one of a few videos I did using the application.