Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Melody Generators

Looking for simple and quick melody generating apps. They need to produce their own sound without using as IAA or auv3 etc. Standalone only.

So far I'm using Fortamento, Stravinski and to a lesser extent Spliqs and Piano Motifs. Riffer would be great if it had some basic built in instruments for standalone use. I was trying Seekquencer but it wasn't doing it for me. Anything else out there like these?

Comments

• Polyphase and nodebeat

• Thanks, will check these out. Also helps if they can just quickly create rand 1, 2 or 4 bars and then loop till aI either save it or hit randomise again.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Polyphase and nodebeat

Sorry but not really what I am after. These are interactive it seems and making the beat and melody is a conscious process. I want to hit a button and have a random melody, perhaps within a few set parameters.

• Riffer would suit the bill I think.

• @RJB said:
    Riffer would suit the bill I think.

Beautifully. Except that I need to hook it up as an au. I'm looking for something with more immediate results. Maybe I have all the options that are available to me.

• edited October 2020

How about Aphelian? It’s standalone. There is a more limited version as au.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/aphelian/id1435855056

• riffer is au btw

• Polyphase will start with a new constantly evolving melody every time you open it up. You literally just need to press play. It will play 4 tracks by default, changing that is as easy as turning them on or off. The manual could be better, but it is very easy to learn to use in a basic way, with immediate results.

• @Gavinski said:
    Polyphase will start with a new constantly evolving melody every time you open it up. You literally just need to press play. It will play 4 tracks by default, changing that is as easy as turning them on or off. The manual could be better, but it is very easy to learn to use in a basic way, with immediate results.

Yeah, I was going to elaborate but he seemed to dismiss it so quickly didn’t think it was worth the effort lol.

• -Stravinski is still on the App Store, it went Free awhile ago. Used to be like $3. Has midi out.
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/stravinski/id1229475383

-Fortamento- good for 4 bar stuff
    -Piano Motifs is a phenomenal app
    -Mozaic has a script for that. The one script only outputs Cminor, but just use Rozeta scaler Or another Mozaic to quantize it to any scale

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@Gavinski said:
    Polyphase will start with a new constantly evolving melody every time you open it up. You literally just need to press play. It will play 4 tracks by default, changing that is as easy as turning them on or off. The manual could be better, but it is very easy to learn to use in a basic way, with immediate results.

Yeah, I was going to elaborate but he seemed to dismiss it so quickly didn’t think it was worth the effort lol.

I feel you 😂

• With Randomization Features, DigiKeys and Strummer FXby 4 pockets can create some nice riffs/melodies

Rozeta Particles and Rozeta Collider could do the trick but not always. Even Rozeta Cells, if you just enter all the notes in a scale into multiple cells, and set to random movement.

Autony- will be quantised notes, based on What increment you set, But set up an lfo and modulate the rate, the amount of notes etc. and something else will come out. Or add a Mozaic to the end, with one of several scripts, one good one is Au-hasard, and generate random notes from incoming midi, all based on parameters you set.

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

@Gavinski said:

I had time to check out a few videos. Seemed enough info to show it was a more manual process than I want. As I said it really just needs to be simple and quick to create a melody. I don't want other tracks if that can be avoided. Even using Fortamento I have the backing turned off.

I appreciate all the suggestions. I really just have a specific use in mind so sorry if it seems I'm dismissing an app without too much thought.

Will check out a few of the new ones I saw. Thanks for the suggestions. I redownloaded Seekquencer and it may be ok after all. Not my favourite process but it works and is a source for more variation.

• No worries, hope you find what you need.

• As you seem to want something that takes absolutely no personal input or effort, you could pay someone to generate melodies for you. That would entail interacting with someone though, so maybe that’s out too.

• LK does random melodies or chords.

• @ALB said:
    As you seem to want something that takes absolutely no personal input or effort, you could pay someone to generate melodies for you. That would entail interacting with someone though, so maybe that’s out too.

I'm looking for something to provide quick melodies as a learning tool for guitar. Hit generate, learn the melody, and so on. Sounds simple enough but nothing seems to work in with guitar too well yet. Well, for my level that is anyway. Just thought there might be more to look at. Fortamento is actually pretty good but I can't get the note range to work particularly well for acoustic guitar. It will do I guess but just wondering if I'm missing any others. GuitarParrot is not bad but the voice overs and crowd shit drives me mad.

• Did anyone actually read @Aileroms post? 🤨

• thesys. not very simple but there is randomization and built-in synth

• @Emanresu said:
    thesys. not very simple but there is randomization and built-in synth

Ok, yes it's a beast and not simple but maybe it would work ok for this. To be honest, by far the best thing so far is Stravinski. If I could select an octave it would be fine for the time being.

• Does Stavinski send midi out? If so you could use something like Rozeta Scaler to shift it anywhere between two octaves up and two down

• have you tried Xynthesizr ?

• edited October 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Does Stavinski send midi out? If so you could use something like Rozeta Scaler to shift it anywhere between two octaves up and two down

Well here's the thing. I just want a simple way to open an app and start practicing some ear training. Chances are if there is any complexity to it I won't do it. Lazy? Probably. I just want something easy as practicing is the goal.

It does though: ""Stravinski" supports Audiobus, Inter-App Audio and MIDI out"

@mlau said:
    have you tried Xynthesizr ?

No but after looking at it I can't find a random note option. Pretty cool synth but maybe not for this purpose.

• edited October 2020

@Ailerom maybe i didn’t understand what you mean by random notes, but i’ve been using it for a while and it randomize every single note - if i want to -

• Ok, didn't pick that up in the video I watched. What I really want it to do is loop a 1 or 2 bar melody. Then when I've had enough of that change to a new melody. Even better if there are parameters to set the range of randomness, key/scale etc.

• I'm not sure why opening an AUM preset with Riffer already open and hooked up to the instrument AU of your choice is any different than a dedicated app in terms of immediacy? Heck, you don't even need a preset. Just hit the load last session option.

• edited October 2020

@Ailerom well you can do that as well. make your loop, then randomize, then stop randomizing when you want a loop again etc etc...

riffer does it too, except it doesn not produce its own sound ....

just create a loop, save the preset. randomize when you feel like it, then recall your preset when you want the loop again etc

did you just get an ipad ? 😎

• Not an app, but Wolfram Tones works in Safari:

http://tones.wolfram.com/generate