Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI out with a 3.5mm jack

Hi all,

I want to control multiple hardware synthesizers using an iPad3 by the help of a MIDI sequencer app. I am trying to find a solution to get MIDI signal through a 3.5mm jack (not earphone entry) than split by an audio cable splitter than jack to 5din midi cables will be plugged to hardware synthesizers one by one.

This technique is used on Korg Electribe 2, Arturia Beatstep Pro and Novation Circuit. Their MIDI outs are actually simple 3.5mm jack out.

To use multiple midi devices you split the cable by a gadget like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32507866291.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.39f62e0eDePdqA

you connect audio to MIDI din cables like this to plug in different devices:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000943660724.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.46664fc81H2ltj&algo_pvid=ab33f685-1109-41c7-8402-4324ac48c154&algo_expid=ab33f685-1109-41c7-8402-4324ac48c154-21&btsid=2100bdd516035707756637221e051c&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

The solution in my mind is to use an old iRig MIDI (or Korg plugKEY) to get MIDI out from the iPad3 than use audio-MIDI cable to connect the audio splitter.

Is there another solution for this? Do you know any gadget to get MIDI out signal by a 3.5mm jack?

Comments

• As far as the passive 3.5mm TRS stereo (3-pin) star splitter, I've never used one but have spoken with someone that uses one without any issues, though he only has 2 or 3 cables plugged into it.

And there are 2 classes for TRS MIDI - Type A & B. The pin configuration is different for each Type, so you'll need to reverse the wires on some of your devices using this:

Type A: most products with TRS MIDI by: Korg, IKM, Make Noise, Akai, Teenage Eng, Critter & Guitari,
    Type B: most products with TRS MIDI by: Arturia, Novation, 1010Music, Polyend,

Type A is now supposedly the standard, though it's still the Wild West.
    i.e. - manufacturers aren't switching from B to A or don't say which Type they use, some output 5V, some 3.3V, since the MIDI spec changed and won't work with passive Thru boxes from MIDI Solutions, etc.

MIDI.org specs
    MiniMIDI.World
    1010Music Specs
    MIDI Solution FAQs

• Yeah I know the difference but I never thought about the simple solution you mentioned. Thank you.

• Amazon Basics audio cable is perfect for people like me who want a simple yet effective cord that aptly performs its duties quite well. The 3.5 mm jack male to male cable comes with two RCA connectors that you can connect to various audio devices.

• @mozadak said:
    "is there another option" (paraphrased)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/114158306970
    I cant seem to locate it on another site, but they're not hard to find. (well apparently hard to search for).