Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Geo SWAM Jam (been practicing my GeoShred skills!)

Can’t get enough of this saxophone!

Also, can’t seem to make anything that doesn’t sound like it came from an 80’s crime tv show!

I composed the backing with iBassist and Soft Drummer again (I can’t afford the other drummers just yet and really don’t have the space on my iPad anyway) but I’ve been gelling with SD a lot.
I Used the midi out accompaniment feature of iBassist to also drive some sympathetic string sounds in Synthmaster One, and some textural sounds in Aparillo. One instance of Atom to sequence Addstation for an additional arpeggio synth sound.

Comments

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    Sade vibes

Thanks! (I think?) Sade the artist?

• @Intrepolicious said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    Sade vibes

Yes

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:
    Sade vibes

Yes

lol ok, I had to go look her up. 😄

• Gato Barbieri style of Tenor Sax... "Last Tango in Paris". A tone that has it's roots in strip club
    raunchy jazz. The growl is also used in 50-60's Rock and Roll and carried into later days by Clarence Clemons with Bruce Springsteen. It's a very versatile sound and conjures up a whole seems city landscape with lowlifes and sex for sale. I dig it as a great blues style that
    works without the imagery and as a pure expression of the blues. It's very close to the sound of a human blues singer wailing over a great band.

• @McD said:
    Gato Barbieri style of Tenor Sax... "Last Tango in Paris". A tone that has it's roots in strip club
    raunchy jazz. The growl is also used in 50-60's Rock and Roll and carried into later days by Clarence Clemons with Bruce Springsteen. It's a very versatile sound and conjures up a whole seems city landscape with lowlifes and sex for sale. I dig it as a great blues style that
    works without the imagery and as a pure expression of the blues. It's very close to the sound of a human blues singer wailing over a great band.

Thanks @McD you forgot Hall & Oats 😁

• @Intrepolicious said:

Man Eater? Yeah... I'll raise you a "Careless Whisper" video:

• @McD said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Man Eater? Yeah... I'll raise you a "Careless Whisper" video:

Aww I was expecting this guy:

• @Intrepolicious

The top video is a tenor sax... notice the hump in the neck piece where it attaches to the main body which is also larger.

The bottom is an alto sax.

I'm careful to insure sending the right instrument. Maybe they'll make a SWAM Alto and Baritone Sax at some point. I suspect it's just a tweak to their model to make smaller and larger versions.

• @Intrepolicious said:

Also, can’t seem to make anything that doesn’t sound like it came from an 80’s crime tv show!

I composed the backing with iBassist and Soft Drummer again (I can’t afford the other drummers just yet and really don’t have the space on my iPad anyway) but I’ve been gelling with SD a lot.
    I Used the midi out accompaniment feature of iBassist to also drive some sympathetic string sounds in Synthmaster One, and some textural sounds in Aparillo. One instance of Atom to sequence Addstation for an additional arpeggio synth sound.

Very very nice! These are really great free advertising for that Sax, sounding super realistic.

• @Gavinski said:

@Intrepolicious said:

Very very nice! These are really great free advertising for that Sax, sounding super realistic.

Thank you Gavin!

I’ve been really enjoying this saxophone and it’s expressive character.

• @McD said:
    @Intrepolicious

The top video is a tenor sax... notice the hump in the neck piece where it attaches to the main body which is also larger.

The bottom is an alto sax.

I'm careful to insure sending the right instrument. Maybe they'll make a SWAM Alto and Baritone Sax at some point. I suspect it's just a tweak to their model to make smaller and larger versions.

Oh you’re right! I should have noticed that. Now I wonder what was originally used in the George Michael song.

• @Intrepolicious said:
    Oh you’re right! I should have noticed that. Now I wonder what was originally used in the George Michael song.

Wikipedia knows:

The saxophone solo was performed on a Selmer Mark VI tenor by Steve Gregory.

Tenors tend to dominate but I love a good alto player like Paul Desmond, Phil Woods
    and the King of Alto: Charlie "Yardbird" Parker. When Bird plays his fingers move the minimal amount and that's so hard to master but a hallmark of the true masters. Then when you consider he creates those elegantly played complex lines in the moment:

• @McD said:

Tenors tend to dominate but I love a good alto player like Paul Desmond, Phil Woods
    and the King of Alto: Charlie "Yardbird" Parker. When Bird plays his fingers move the minimal amount and that's so hard to master but a hallmark of the true masters. Then when you consider he creates those elegantly played complex lines in the moment:

Fascinating documentary @McD Thanks for sharing!

• Dang, when did this get 38 likes on YouTube?

Evidently, and as @LinearLineman can attest to, a good piece of music doesn’t need fancy visuals!

• @Edward_Alexander, no, but it obviously needs drums 🤔😉

• Nice! Definite 80’s detective show vibes. Makes me remember “The Equalizer.” And Bosch uses some of this too (what an amazing show).

The pads meld really well with the sax, cool job.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Edward_Alexander, no, but it obviously needs drums 🤔😉

Lumbeat can’t be beat IMO, for when the “need” arises…

@mrufino1 said:
    Nice! Definite 80’s detective show vibes. Makes me remember “The Equalizer.” And Bosch uses some of this too (what an amazing show).

The pads meld really well with the sax, cool job.

Thank you!

Come to think of it, I have been watching a lot of old shows on “MeTV”.

• Love it, Ed!

• @NeuM said:
    Love it, Ed!

Thank you! It’s a jam from almost a year ago that I had almost forgotten about. Maybe it’s worth a revisit, and maybe a remix with visuals?

• @Edward_Alexander said:
    Dang, when did this get 38 likes on YouTube?

Evidently, and as @LinearLineman can attest to, a good piece of music doesn’t need fancy visuals!

Ha ha, I think there must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Music is to enhance the visuals (or moving pictures if you want), not the other way around.
    Did you see the update for Cube Synth Pro? Curious about your input. :)

• @Pxlhg said:

@Edward_Alexander said:
    Dang, when did this get 38 likes on YouTube?

Ha ha, I think there must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Music is to enhance the visuals (or moving pictures if you want), not the other way around.
    Did you see the update for Cube Synth Pro? Curious about your input. :)

I just checked for the update.. congrats! You got your presets included in the update, nice! I’ll definitely be checking these out. Thanks for the heads up!

On the visuals,

No misunderstanding. I’ve been thinking about this a lot. The way I’m starting to think about the visuals is that one shouldn’t be there to enhance the other, but should both exist as a single concept. Two sides of a coin that represent an idea that came from a single vision. Cut from the same cloth if you will. I think, if I need A to enhance B, I might want to reconsider wether I’ve done a good enough job with B.

A and B should compliment each other as they should have been written with each other in mind, conceptualized as a complete package.

I hope I’m making sense, and this is only how I’ve been thinking of how I should approach my stuff, when I’m planning a “visual piece”. This isn’t to say one way is better than the other. I mean, of course everyone has seen an old piece of vintage video footage and thought “gee, someone should put some music to that!” But haven’t you also ever heard an amazing piece of music and thought about how you'd choreograph the live version’s “visuals” on stage, with lighting, and pyrotechnics etc.? Maybe you envisioned a music video with some CGI Hollywood style graphics and Michael Bay type video effects?

I guess my point is, that we’ve been doing this since the dawn of film; Sticking music onto film (visuals) to make it more interesting. (Charlie Chaplin, and those old silent films where they’ve added piano come to mind) Then later, sticking visuals on music, to make it more interesting (see concert productions, MTV videos, Pink Floyd The Wall -The movie comes to mind.) And have you ever noticed at every single concert after around 1998, no matter what genre, the headlining band has a frikin HUGE video screen on stage behind them with some kind of visuals? These are all examples of using visuals to enhance the music.

Anyway, I don’t want to do either (stick one on the other). I want to produce a complete experience that when you see the visual element, it is the music, and when you hear the music, it is the visual.

I think I’m starting to ramble… it’s late, and I’m tired. More on this later…