Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB2 Outputs?

DebDeb
edited April 2014 in General App Discussion

Output still says system output. I thought I would be able to select different outputs of my interface for different streams.

Comments

• edited April 2014

We've not yet built multi-channel output support in, @Deb, although it's on the cards for an upcoming update (I can't give you a release date for that functionality just yet though).

• Is it possible to make a FX-Rack with Soundcards in and out?

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Are there any plans for a single App to be able to send multiple audio streams into Audiobus? For example for Cubase or Auria to send individual tracks to separate Audiobus lanes?

• @Skipp this functionality is already there. It's up to the dev to implement it. Loopy for example does it already.

from AB documentation:
    "For example, a multi-track player might define one output port for every track, in addition to the main port. Then, certain tracks could be routed to other iOS devices, or filtered by a filter app."
    http://developer.audiob.us/doc/_ports.html

• @Skipp said:

Are there any plans for a single App to be able to send multiple audio streams into Audiobus? For example for Cubase or Auria to send individual tracks to separate Audiobus lanes?

Yes, loopy does it within audiobus which is the nicest implementation. Auria can do it too I think by selecting routing options in Auria. Cubasis, however, no :(

• I saw a post yesterday suggesting that this was possible with Loopy. What does it look like in Audiobus as each App only has a single icon for its input so how would you select a specific output for each Audiobus chain and avoid ending up a with the sum of all audio outs going through each chain?

I'm beginning to wonder if we're stretching the idea of what an App's role is in iOS. Currently you can only have one of each App. With multiple chains in AB you might however want two Au:Fx Dubs for example. If Apps with multiple AB chains are possible could something like AU:FX or Echopad be expanded to include multiple channels of the same effect each processing a different chain?

• If you open Loopy in either input or output, the next time you open Loopy in the input you see an 'i' next to it. Click in this then choose any of the tracks to send through this pipeline.

• I'll give that a try, sounds really cool!

Just trying to get my head around what options that provides...

• +1 for multiple output routing.

• edited April 2014

DrumJam and ThumbJam also have multiple output choices in AB, selecting between Main Output (default), Loops Output, and Instrument Output(s). You do have to run them first, before the little info/arrow show up in the AB Input slot connection list, which is why so few people realized this feature existed.

In AB2 you can add multiple effect chains, insert the same app in multiple Input Slots but using different output ports from the app in each chain. So you can apply different AB effects for the instrument and loop outputs of Thumb/DrumJam simultaneously.

• Just for everyone who's interested: we've already talked about how to make setup for multi-ports in apps more convenient for users. Obviously launching an app first to get access to all its ports is not a very slick workflow.

• Not sure if this helps, but you can manipulate the individual inputs [add Mic as an input and press the "i" in the circle to select which input], then run it through, say, Stereo Designer, to merge/flip the signals. This is what I had to do in order to get my Mic on input2 into RealBeat which for whatever reason only listens to Input1.

• @sebastian I don't mind launching the app first but it would be handy to easily switch the initial input slot after loading instead of ejecting and re-adding.

• @syrupcore said:

@sebastian I don't mind launching the app first but it would be handy to easily switch the initial input slot after loading instead of ejecting and re-adding.

+1 on this.

• How easy is it for Dev's to implement multiple audio outs? The lack of implementation, even in Apps that might benefit from it, suggests that it's not trivial.

Do any of the modular synth environments have multiple AB outs?

• edited April 2014

I'm interested in the same question @Skipp. I imagine it has to do with your app's internal architecture.

With AB2 out now, I'm hoping we'll see more apps take advantage of it. It was handy at times in AB1 world but only for the occasional bounce. AB2 completely changes it. BS16i, Sampletank and all of the DAWs could make great use of it.

For inputs too! I'm looking at your iMS-20.

• Makes me wonder what impact AB2 will have on App design? Big powerful synths still make a lot of sense to record one track at a time into a DAW but simple synths with low processor overheads or multi-timbral capability and the ability to access multiple AB chains would be great for live sets and jams. Bs16i and DXi could suddenly become really useful with this capability.

The thought of trying to control multiple chains in real time is also going to be an issue. The more we move away from the iPad as a single App instrument the more of a challenge this becomes.

• The multi ch. stuff is the only thing keeping me on the laptop.

• Loving the update with multi-input!

• BS 16i with separate outs for each track :D

• And its mixer stand-alone in the Output for jamming.