Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GeoShred GeoViolin Layering

I dropped the $15 on the GeoViolin IAP for GeoShred. You can only play it from MPE controllers which I think is a mistake given that many like to use MIDI generators so it will inhibit sales. I hope @moForte reconsiders this in an update.

But here's a test drive of nothing but GeoViolins layered into a final mix using some great reverb-y FX: Velvet Machine and FAC Alteza.

Comments

• @LinearLineman I believe this is a licensing issue that MoForte can’t change. Probably similar to Roli Noise not being able to let SWAM instruments be auv3. These are GeoSwam and intended to/licensed to demand a MPE scenario. According to @audiomodeling Swam instruments are going to be released 1 by 1 in the next 6 months that will be midi playable.

• @ipadbeatmaking, that’s my understanding, too. My mod wheel and expression pedal wait patiently.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @ipadbeatmaking, that’s my understanding, too. My mod wheel and expression pedal wait patiently.

I meant to tag @McD also which is where the response was actually intended to be directed lol 😂

But while you’re here, have you invested in the GeoSwam ecosystem? If so, what are your thoughts, if not, do you think you’ll be able to keep patiently waiting?

• @ipadbeatmaking, it seems clear they are a new level of acoustic realism, which is great. I will wait patiently, however, for the standalones.

• You can sequence it with LK...just don't use the channel 1 as midi out

• @cuscolima said:
    You can sequence it with LK...just don't use the channel 1 as midi out

Explain this please. Does LK send an MPE midi stream to make this possible using other channels?

Are there ways to get other apps to simulate MPE traffic?

Always something to learn here.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    @LinearLineman I believe this is a licensing issue that MoForte can’t change. Probably similar to Roli Noise not being able to let SWAM instruments be auv3. These are GeoSwam and intended to/licensed to demand a MPE scenario. According to @audiomodeling Swam instruments are going to be released 1 by 1 in the next 6 months that will be midi playable.

That makes sense. The GeoShred interface is couch potato awesome so the $15 was well spent to have a decent violin sound.

• @McD said:

@cuscolima said:
    You can sequence it with LK...just don't use the channel 1 as midi out

Explain this please. Does LK send an MPE midi stream to make this possible using other channels?

Are there ways to get other apps to simulate MPE traffic?

Always something to learn here.

Well, I'm not the most competent to explain what is happening here. My understanding is that MPE is sending midi on channels 2 to 16 and use the channel 1 as a kind of "control channel" (not sure here).

So, my setting with the new instruments in Geoshred is the following

1. In AuM, I add one instance of LK with midi out set to 2 (or any other except 1). This instance is mapped to an instance of GeoViolin for example
    2. I add a second instance of LK with midi out also set to 2 and mapped to a second GeoViolin
    3. You can even control a third GeoViolin from one of the existing LK using Polythemus

With this setting, I have three violins sequenced by two instances of LK

Hope it's clear

• @cuscolima - wow, it works! Thank you! Great workaround!

• Nice atmospheric piece. I’d like to hear it with the fx off.

• Does the violin have any sarangi-like presets?

• @espiegel123 said:
    Does the violin have any sarangi-like presets?

https://youtu.be/9bAiyE936Vk
    Link to free preset in description.

• @Aph said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Does the violin have any sarangi-like presets?

Link to free preset in description.

Tx!

• @Aph, WOW. We are getting there. Try that on your laptop!

• McDMcD
    edited October 2020

@cuscolima said:
    Well, I'm not the most competent to explain what is happening here. My understanding is that MPE is sending midi on channels 2 to 16 and use the channel 1 as a kind of "control channel" (not sure here).

You are CORRECT. I put the AUM keyboard on channel 2 and it drives GeoShred. We can use our generators and MIDI controllers if they allow configuration of MIDI channels.

So, I started up 4 GeoShred/GeoViolin instances and used the Polythemus MIDI FX App to split incoming chords across channels 2-5. I assigned the inputs into the 4 GeoViolins to Polythemus 2-5 and viola (french "Ta-da!" and not the orchestral instrument):

NOTE: The echo FX are a result of a "chordifying" Mozaic script I used to easilygenerate chords using "one finger" on the AUM keyboard. The script has options to delay/strum the chords going out. At the 1 minute mark I turned the strumming setting to 0 for aligned chords.

There are no reverbs or delays on the GeoViolin outputs but the quick echoes are coming from the 4 instances being triggered in sequence via MIDI round robin.

This is one of the GeoViolin presets in it's natural state without extra FX.
    Any generator app like Fugue Machine or multiple Riffers could be used with these GeoShred instances.

More than 4 instances created audio dropout noise. For MIDI keyboard into
    Polythemus I think 5 instances would be OK on my iPad 2019 9.7".

• As mentioned above Ch 2 and sending CP is the key to interfacing with non MPE controllers. I have my BlueBoard controlling some of the effect buttons and an expression pedal controlling the vibrato. I am using an AE10 and EWI Solo to control the notes and pitch bend. I thing this app is superior to the desktop SWAM stuff. Wind controller is a much better controller if you are after an accurate emulation and have a wind controller with experience. There are some great emulations using the on-screen interface but it would take me years to sound that good. Same goes with the keyboard.