Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Anyone here dump Maschine for Beatmaker 3?

Okay, so i have Maschine MK3 and I think it's a wonderful thing. The pads feel marvelous and the layout is great. A real prize of a piece of hardware. I don't really seem to be getting along with Maschine the software as well. Granted - time is always the enemy here.

But, I've been spending more time with Beatmaker 3 and I'm thinking that maybe one of them is redundant. I could sell the Maschine (potentially) and spend a bit on samples and I'd really be several dollars ahead. I'm really enjoying my time with BM3 so far.

Does anyone want to talk me out of this? Have any of you done this? Am I placing too much value on the future of BM3? - I know loaded topic. I value your input so let's talk.

Comments

• edited October 2020

Now that I am not commuting I have spent a little more time again on desktop and absolutely love the NI sounds (more than anything really on iOS) but I have been missing aspects of the BM3 Interface so I figured maybe I should just pony up for the MK3 as it seems like a hardware BM3 to me. From what I have been hearing I can get by with a long USB cable and be pretty much desktop free at least for the creative splurge part. It is still a chunk of change though that I can’t really justify right now but think I should’ve just got one a few years ago instead of a laptop but hindsight is 50-50 blah blah.

Err, But yah, I kind of want to do the reverse. The Mk3 fx seem solid and simple to use, the sounds are great and I like the idea of Just working within a box and not always be thinking about plugins and work arounds and Wondering just how much I can fix in post etc. It feels like I should just be able to bang out about 80% of a track on the MK3 and just do simple mixing on desktop and be satisfied. Everything I bounce out of iOS just feels kind of weak compared to the sketches I can do with the NI stuff and feels like it needs a lot more work after the fact. Could be because I am a preset flipper at heart.

• Interesting @AudioGus ...

• edited October 2020

@AudioGus said:
    Now that I am not commuting I have spent a little more time again on desktop and absolutely love the NI sounds (more than anything really on iOS) but I have been missing aspects of the BM3 Interface so I figured maybe I should just pony up for the MK3 as it seems like a hardware BM3 to me. From what I have been hearing I can get by with a long USB cable and be pretty much desktop free at least for the creative splurge part. It is still a chunk of change though that I can’t really justify right now but think I should’ve just got one a few years ago instead of a laptop but hindsight is 50-50 blah blah.

Err, But yah, I kind of want to do the reverse. The Mk3 fx seem solid and simple to use, the sounds are great and I like the idea of Just working within a box and not always be thinking about plugins and work arounds and Wondering just how much I can fix in post etc. It feels like I should just be able to bang out about 80% of a track on the MK3 and just do simple mixing on desktop and be satisfied. Everything I bounce out of iOS just feels kind of weak compared to the sketches I can do with the NI stuff and feels like it needs a lot more work after the fact. Could be because I am a preset flipper at heart.

Why not just use BM3 as a sort of controller for the VST and sounds you like the most on the desktop...and go crazy playing the iPad using the BM3 UI to make music...I did this for a while last year with BM3 and Ableton and it was pretty slick.

• edited October 2020

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

Why not just use BM3 as a sort of controller for the VST and sounds you like the most on the desktop...and go crazy playing the iPad using the BM3 UI to make music...I did this for a while last year with BM3 and Ableton and it was pretty slick.

Yah I have done that (with BM3, NS2, X2) as well as sampling in vsts etc. I want to get away from mouse/keyboard/big screens as much as possible though but get the best sounds I can. I really do not want to look at desktop software in my spare time. Little screens with simple parameters via knobs... yah that looks sweet. I have 20-50ft usb cables itchin to go!

• I suggest looking at BM3 forums , many topics here too ,about known bugs and be prepared for zero fixes .
    In a nutshell:
    Automation , slice , looping chunks of audio , midi fx etc...
    You can’t record straight to a clip in season view , also no pad mode for triggering loops infinitely .

If you buy a pad controller, make sure that it doesn’t have endless encoders and forget about midi learn . Only thing that is mappable is on Macros page, everything else is deleted on new projects (even replacing a sample deletes the mapping )

Forget about any useful new feature and dev(s) are silent .

But if you like it as it is ,there is no point on keeping your MK3 . There is a software called “kit maker” that can convert your drum kits to BM3 format , as for instruments you could try to convert them to sfz and use an iOS app inside BM3 :)

• @AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

Yah I have done that (with BM3, NS2, X2) as well as sampling in vsts etc. I want to get away from mouse/keyboard as much as possible though but get the best sounds I can. I really do not want to look at desktop software in my spare time. Little screens with simple parameters via knobs... yah that looks sweet. I have 20-50ft usb cables itchin to go!

Yep. Totally hear you. It’s why i went down the Maschine+ rabbit hole. No looking back now as i love this instrument more each day.

• @Korakios said:
    I suggest looking at BM3 forums , many topics here too ,about known bugs and be prepared for zero fixes .
    In a nutshell:
    You can’t record straight to a clip in season view , also no pad mode for triggering loops infinitely .

If you buy a pad controller, make sure that it doesn’t have endless encoders and forget about midi learn . Only thing that is mappable is on Macros page, everything else is deleted on new projects (even replacing a sample deletes the mapping )

But if you like it as it is ,there is no point on keeping your MK3 . There is a software called “kit maker” that can convert your drum kits to BM3 format , as for instruments you could try to convert them to sfz and use an iOS app inside BM3 :)

Thanks for that. I'll take your advice and visit the forums. I've done a fair amount of reading but admittedly haven't gotten too far into automation yet.

• @kinkujin said:

@Korakios said:
    I suggest looking at BM3 forums , many topics here too ,about known bugs and be prepared for zero fixes .
    In a nutshell:

Thanks for that. I'll take your advice and visit the forums. I've done a fair amount of reading but admittedly haven't gotten too far into automation yet.

Automation is the weakest link to me currently but improving. BM3 in a few months (or a year?) from now may check a bunch of boxes I have been wanting checked... but who knows and I do have a couple weeks off at XMas and would love a nice toy to play with then... and yah no sane amount of waiting will bring those sweet Massive sounds I love.

• @echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

Yah I have done that (with BM3, NS2, X2) as well as sampling in vsts etc. I want to get away from mouse/keyboard as much as possible though but get the best sounds I can. I really do not want to look at desktop software in my spare time. Little screens with simple parameters via knobs... yah that looks sweet. I have 20-50ft usb cables itchin to go!

Yep. Totally hear you. It’s why i went down the Maschine+ rabbit hole. No looking back now as i love this instrument more each day.

Is the MK3 just as hands off from desktop as the Maschine+ ? (I assume so but just tethered via usb of course)

• @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@Korakios said:
    In a nutshell:

Automation is the weakest link to me currently but improving. BM3 in a few months (or a year?) from now may check a bunch of boxes I have been wanting checked... but who knows and I do have a couple weeks off at XMas and would love a nice toy to play with then... and yah no sane amount of waiting will bring those sweet Massive sounds I love.

Toys are great. I have too many and not enough time.

How did/do you integrate BM3 with your desktop? IDAM? Mixdown and import into ?

• edited October 2020

@kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@Korakios said:
    In a nutshell:

I use two Roland Duo Captures, one on ipad, one on desktop. (Audio/Midi both ways via cables) I have done a bunch of different workflow/setups, exporting stems and such but really after a few years it all just started boiling down to using BM3 more as a groovebox and recording straight into Samplitude on desktop and mixing/arranging audio there. I prefer it over bouncing now really and these units sound so good that workflow wins over pristine audio purity, that I actually can't hear anyway. However I can't do it right now as the last update (couple weeks ago?) had some midi clock sync issues but I assume it will be fixed soon. Yah that will likely be my Xmas project, that or mixing NS2 project bounces that have been piling up.

• @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@Korakios said:
    In a nutshell:

I use two Roland Duo Captures, one on ipad, one on desktop. I have done a bunch of different workflow/setups, exporting stems and such but really after a few years it all just started boiling down to using BM3 more as a groovebox and recording straight into Samplitude on desktop and mixing/arranging audio there. I prefer it over bouncing now really and these units sound so good that workflow wins over pristine audio purity, that I actually can't hear anyway. However I can't do it right now as the last update (couple weeks ago?) had some midi clock sync issues but I assume it will be fixed soon. Yah that will likely be my Xmas project, that or mixing NS2 project bounces that have been piling up.

Thanks and merry xmas. :)

• @AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

Is the MK3 just as hands off from desktop as the Maschine+ ? (I assume so but just tethered via usb of course)

It seems like that from the couple times i used it tethered.

• edited October 2020

The best solve for me for using both Maschine and iPads together is to have separate audio interfaces for both. Either can be used for sampling or sequencing etc, and you just run audio and MIDI between them.

When I want to be mobile, it's iPad only, nothing else. No controllers or anything.

• @kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

@Korakios said:
    In a nutshell:

I use two Roland Duo Captures, one on ipad, one on desktop. I have done a bunch of different workflow/setups, exporting stems and such but really after a few years it all just started boiling down to using BM3 more as a groovebox and recording straight into Samplitude on desktop and mixing/arranging audio there. I prefer it over bouncing now really and these units sound so good that workflow wins over pristine audio purity, that I actually can't hear anyway. However I can't do it right now as the last update (couple weeks ago?) had some midi clock sync issues but I assume it will be fixed soon. Yah that will likely be my Xmas project, that or mixing NS2 project bounces that have been piling up.

Thanks and merry xmas. :)

Sure, why not, Merry XMas in October! ;)

• You should get Kitmaker and convert your Machine Library to BM3 kits, it’s amazing, then you won’t have to buy more kits for now ( unless you just really want to buy more ) it’s really a great app.
    https://www.kit-maker.com/

• Now that I’m mouse-less thanks to the iPad I’m looking at less screen and more knobs. Interested in Maschine, Deluge. But I do a lot of audio: vocals, guitar, bass... and it seems like these devices are more geared towards sequencing, sampling and midi. BM3 is great at audio, you can record, loop or use the linear timeline. Is Maschine capable in this aspect?. Does it also perform as a multitrack recorder of sorts?.

• edited October 2020

@kinkujin join the forum or our discord chat which you'll find the link the forum. 90% of the stuff @Korakios mentioned are incorrect and is his own one sided view.

I have a controller with endless encoders that works flawlessly. If you use the midi focus action page you can map your controller and save the template to use with new or old projects.
    There's been a recent update which improved things a lot and more updates to come. Myself and a few others have been in constant contact with the developer. Let's just say things are being worked on and it's looking good.

I would keep Maschine for a little longer and keep trying, it's not easy to learn but once you grasp it you'll see it's power. I also have the MK3 and have the MPCX so yep I understand how you feel.
    Come over and chat with the many that enjoy BM3 and learn some tips and tricks. If after you feel BM3 is not for you It's all good.

• Sort of agreeing with @AudioGus in that I'm thinking of going towards the Maschine only the full fat, no computer model, if I finish the year in a positive light.

I find desktop to be too distracting but think I would enjoy and be more productive with the combination of features and physical controllers on the Maschine+

The standalone seems to tick all the right boxes and has potential for future expansion. There are just a few little questions I need to answer before I commit.

• edited October 2020

@hansjbs said:
    @kinkujin join the forum or our discord chat which you'll find the link the forum. 90% of the stuff @Korakios mentioned are incorrect and is his own one sided view. I have a controller with endless encoders that works flawlessly. If you use the midi focus action page you can map your controller and save the template to use with new or old projects.
    There's been a recent update which improved things a lot and more updates to come. Myself and a few others have been in constant contact with the developer. Let's just say things are being worked on and it's looking good.
    I would keep Maschine for a little longer and keep trying, it's not easy to learn but once you grasp it you'll see it's power. I also have the MK3 and have the MPCX so yep I understand how you feel.
    Come over and chat with the many that enjoy BM3 and learn some tips and tricks. If after you feel BM3 is not for you It's all good.

👍

BM3 is a powerhouse.

I finally managed to get round to using it after the update.

16 banks and multiple AU's running smooth. Tried to crash with the usual suspects and no dice. Things are looking good. Loaded up old samples and the tempo detection was 100% accurate.

Beautiful.

• @hansjbs said:
    @kinkujin join the forum or our discord chat which you'll find the link the forum. 90% of the stuff @Korakios mentioned are incorrect and is his own one sided view.

I have a controller with endless encoders that works flawlessly. If you use the midi focus action page you can map your controller and save the template to use with new or old projects.

Because you are limited to use your endless encoder in the useless absolute mode that has zero meaning , doesn’t mean that BM3 can detect relative mode which is by default the use of an endless rotary .
    Also I’m confused on the template you mentioned .
    Let’s say I assigned a macro to volume level on pad 1 ***
    I save the project and open a new one
    Can I somehow reapply the the Macro 1 to Volume one pad 1, or I have to do it on every single new project manually ?
    ***extra question : can the Macro follow current bank , current pad ?

Bonus material : BM3 doesn’t detect all midi CCs ;)

• edited October 2020

Hi all. Appreciate all of the comments, lots of good info and it's why I appreciate this place.

@Strizbiz - If I decide to embark on converting kits I'll certainly take that advice. Thanks!

@hansjbs - Your optimism is infectious. @Korakios - Your frustration is palpable. I appreciate both sides of this coin.

@WillieNegus - I hear you on the selling. It's probably brutal out there now! I'm going to hang on to the MK3 and see what I can come up with. Can you map MK3 pads/knobs to BM3?

I think when a piece of hardware and software elicits such pride and anger and passsion then the developers have probably got alot right. I'm digging in to this stuff for the long haul. Thanks for all opinions!

• @Korakios said:

@hansjbs said:

Because you are limited to use your endless encoder in the useless absolute mode that has zero meaning , doesn’t mean that BM3 can detect relative mode which is by default the use of an endless rotary .
    Also I’m confused on the template you mentioned .
    Let’s say I assigned a macro to volume level on pad 1 ***
    I save the project and open a new one
    Can I somehow reapply the the Macro 1 to Volume one pad 1, or I have to do it on every single new project manually ?
    ***extra question : can the Macro follow current bank , current pad ?

Bonus material : BM3 doesn’t detect all midi CCs ;)

Ok say that don’t say endless encoders don’t work :D :D . I mapped my endless encoders to macro and map my macros to things I use the most.
    You can save a BM3 template for how you want things with macros mapped to whatever, you’ll just have to always remember to not overwrite your template, which is a pain yes I know. We all want global midi for BM3 and we all want read only templates which is on the list of things.

BM3 does detect all midi CCs it just has issues with some like midi CC06 and usually set that to CC0 for some reason. that’s because CC06 is usually control change messages so if one of your controllers has a button or encoder mapped as that change it. This has been reported to the developer.

• @kinkujin said:
    Hi all. Appreciate all of the comments, lots of good info and it's why I appreciate this place.

@hansjbs - Your optimism is infectious. @Korakios - Your frustration is palpable. I appreciate both sides of this coin.

We’re working with the developer and it’s very positive. I’ve been using BeatMaker since version 1 on the AppStore and even before there was an AppStore thru Cydia where it was called beatphone so yes I’ve seen where it was and where it is now and where it’s going. Yes, it had is shared of issues, I complained about them to but a bunch of us decided to reach out and work with the developer and take in any issues and report them. This way we can get a better more stable app.

• edited October 2020

Tried the discord server/logged in but cannot remember password. HAHA Apparently I did this before? Can't find any way to reset. Help @hansjbs ??

Ugh, went to "how to reset password" but the reset message is not on the "claim your account" page. Am I dumb?

• @kinkujin said:
    Tried the discord server/logged in but cannot remember password. HAHA Apparently I did this before? Can't find any way to reset. Help @hansjbs ??

I think Discord is it’s own thing and then it hosts the uhhh, groups? Or something?

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/218410947-I-forgot-my-Password-Where-can-I-set-a-new-one-

• @AudioGus said:

@kinkujin said:

I think Discord is it’s own thing and then it hosts the uhhh, groups? Or something?

https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/218410947-I-forgot-my-Password-Where-can-I-set-a-new-one-

Ok, yeah got it. Thanks.

• @kinkujin
    @WillieNegus - I hear you on the selling. It's probably brutal out there now! I'm going to hang on to the MK3 and see what I can come up with.

Amazon.ca quit listing it last week (should have bit) but I am getting a ‘like new’ one from a local store for a nice price. Looking forward to just iPad and Maschine making friends. :)

• @AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

@echoopera said:

@AudioGus said:

Yes, it's identical workflow except you have access to more sounds and plug ins while tethered to the computer.

• @kinkujin said:

Ugh, went to "how to reset password" but the reset message is not on the "claim your account" page. Am I dumb?

Yeah I dunno anything about resetting password. :D