Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's The Deal With The Yamaha Reface Series?

Why everyone seems to like these synths? They are OK, but not outstanding. I tried the whole series recently and the keybed feel awkward to me, the construction feel cheap and the price is (IMHO) to high.

I don't want to be a hater, I just want to hear someone who love the series. I want to understand the buzz with the Reface.

When you have a good midi controller, an iPad and a couple of great iOS synths, you are probably spoiled like me, who knows?

Comments

• To me they're barebone incarnations of what made their idols sound great, condensed into a small package.

• edited October 2020

I only have the reface CS but I absolutely adore it. Sometimes it’s nice to put down the screen.

• @DougButNotThatOne said:
    I only have the reface CS but I absolutely adore it. Sometimes it’s nice to put down the screen.

Which iOS app can emulate reface CS ? :D Don't want to spend almost $500ish in the CS :(

• The fender Rhodes one is amazing

• I have the Reface CP. I will say I got this right about the same time I got my first iPad back in 2016. There were a nice combination for a while. All battery powered. The sounds were really great, better than EPs I could get on the iPad in 2016. Even with the newer Neo-Soul Keys Studio 2 the Reface has an all around better sound.

The mini keys actually feel pretty good on it if you like mini keys. However, they are mini keys and mini keys are going to feel awful to anyone that actually plays keyboards. It just doesn’t work you go to play and you hit all kinds of wrong notes because it’s to small.

I really need to sell my reface CP. If it were 4 octaves and full size keys it would be okay. I feel like this one is the worst one for mini keys as it’s EP sounds. Synth Refaces probably aren’t so bad.

I have enjoyed it here and there, but ultimately it has to go it is not worth the trouble it creates. I find anytime I try to use it I need another keyboard right away and then I’m doing all kinds of non-sense to reroute it so the external keyboard controls the Reface CP and then need MIDI Fire or some midi routing tool to make the built in keyboard control something else. Selecting the MIDI channel involves special boot modes, etc.

• edited October 2020

@raimundoarriagada said:

@DougButNotThatOne said:

Which iOS app can emulate reface CS ? :D Don't want to spend almost $500ish in the CS :(

Drambo, miRack and Synthmaster One come to mind.

• Which iOS app can emulate reface CS ? :D Don't want to spend almost $500ish in the CS :(

Yamaha synth book’s an2015 should get you pretty close. It’s free too and I like the multi parameter xy

• @DMan said:
    I have the Reface CP. I will say I got this right about the same time I got my first iPad back in 2016. There were a nice combination for a while. All battery powered. The sounds were really great, better than EPs I could get on the iPad in 2016. Even with the newer Neo-Soul Keys Studio 2 the Reface has an all around better sound.

The mini keys actually feel pretty good on it if you like mini keys. However, they are mini keys and mini keys are going to feel awful to anyone that actually plays keyboards. It just doesn’t work you go to play and you hit all kinds of wrong notes because it’s to small.

I really need to sell my reface CP. If it were 4 octaves and full size keys it would be okay. I feel like this one is the worst one for mini keys as it’s EP sounds. Synth Refaces probably aren’t so bad.

I have enjoyed it here and there, but ultimately it has to go it is not worth the trouble it creates. I find anytime I try to use it I need another keyboard right away and then I’m doing all kinds of non-sense to reroute it so the external keyboard controls the Reface CP and then need MIDI Fire or some midi routing tool to make the built in keyboard control something else. Selecting the MIDI channel involves special boot modes, etc.

That just isn’t true AT ALL..I’ve seen too many folks crush it on mini keys .

• @raimundoarriagada said:

@DougButNotThatOne said:

Same exact synth engine in Yamaha Synth Book AN2015 as @ipluckthestring mentioned. :smile:

I love the keys on the Reface series for synth playing. Not a fan of the CP one though, sounds nothing like my CP70.

• I'm not much of a player and needed something to fit on my crowded desk away from my other synths. I was looking at the Reface series hard. I liked the size and the build quality, but ultimately the price was too steep for my mostly simple uses. The NI keyboards in that size also felt good, but they're not really designed as standalone midi keyboards.

I ended of getting the newer Arturia Keystep 37 last week and so far I'm very satisfied. Solid build quality, aftertouch, assignable knobs (4x4 banks), sequencer/arpeggiator, chord mode w/ strumming, plus midi and cv. It's pretty flexible and I can tell it's going to be a staple in my studio. I love it when new gear just feels right. Like you can tell you're probably going to play with it for years. If they released a black edition I'd be tempted to sell off some of my other controllers and get another Keystep37. Velcro and wire one of my old iphones on top of it, assign the knobs. and make a nice little synth workstation that could easily outdo the Refaces.

• heshes
    edited October 2020

I have the Reface CP. Yeah, I think it's a little overpriced, even for the $350 I paid. Regarding sound, I think it's pretty good. If this is "nothing like" a CP70, then it's still close enough for me. Try listening at around 3:00 in:

And the Rhodes, Wurly, and Clavinet are pretty good, too, and there's a "hidden" piano voice that's okay. Honestly, lately I mostly use the Reface just to run my sustain pedal through, since my main keyboard doesn't have half-pedaling. But the Reface is a well constructed unit and gives you the nice feeling of a dedicated piece of hardware.

• FPCFPC
    edited October 2020

My Reface CS is the only synth I will never sell. I absolutely love it. I'm no player but the keyboard feels lovely to me and the whole instrument has a really high quality feel to it despite being entirely plastic.
    I love the fact there is no screen or presets, it's the complete antithesis of jabbing away at an iPad all the time.
    I also love it's battery power, built-in speakers and that it doubles as a really nice iOS keyboard.

Sound wise it's just a VA but it's beautifully layed out and so simple to use. Does sound great though.

Did I mention that I really like my Reface? :)

• @Telstar5 said:

@DMan said:
    I have the Reface CP. I will say I got this right about the same time I got my first iPad back in 2016. There were a nice combination for a while. All battery powered. The sounds were really great, better than EPs I could get on the iPad in 2016. Even with the newer Neo-Soul Keys Studio 2 the Reface has an all around better sound.

That just isn’t true AT ALL..I’ve seen too many folks crush it on mini keys .

I’m a new fan of Nahre Sol because of you, thanks!