Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Toneboosters Morphit - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

ToneBoosters Morphit is on the docket this week!

Comments

• Thanks Dave. Use it in regular basis. It is really amazing.

• @Charlesalbert said:
    Thanks Dave. Use it in regular basis. It is really amazing.

I was surprised that the difference was as notable as it is - I wanted to take my time with this one and really give it a good solid listen in a quiet room, as well as A/B-ing the two sets of headphones I have to see how well the emulation worked.

I can't see using this for EVERY situation, but I can definitely see this being useful for specific issues.

• Thanks, Dave. I have used Morphit a bit, but stopped when I got the 7506s. What I don’t understand is there is more to hp performance than an EQ curve. What are those parameters?

The use of Morphit is to check out a mix in different contexts, no? But if you know your hps or monitors you develop a feel for what works... like you said, the 7506s are a bit shrill and a little bass deficient.... so we take that into account, don’t we?

How’s the Italian plan going, my friend?

• edited October 2020

@LinearLineman I think there IS more to headphone performance than an EQ curve, simply due to quality of components, how they're tuned, etc. But I think that for the sake of an app like Morphit, all that performance can be represented aurally by an EQ curve. This is of course an over-simplification, but it works for the sake of illustration.

I would assume that the primary function of Morphit (and similar apps) would be to help calibrate your cans to be more flat sounding to help smooth out some of the rough edges of various sets of phones, as indicated by the change in my own 7506's. Took away some of the harshness in the top end, brought in some more bottom, etc.

While we can learn to adjust our minds/ears to accommodate different sounds in different cans, I think it's probably a bit more useful to use an app like this. Let me use an example:

Whenever I'm doing a mix, I always try to listen back to it on as many different sets of speakers as I can - my Sony & Status phones, my KRK monitors, my regular home theater speakers, my phone speaker, my iPad speaker, my earbuds, the car, etc. The reason for this is:

1) The mix should sound even on all speakers, and
    2) One of those speakers may shine a light on some horrible part of my mix that I need to fix

This is why EVERY studio in the 70s/80s/90s had those Yamaha NS-10 monitors with the white speaker cones (you know, the ones that sound AWFUL) as a second set of monitors. The NS-10 are notorious for shining a spotlight on the most awful parts of a mix, which is why they were useful to have for comparison.

Now - if you could do a lot of that heavy lifting with just an app? Certainly is something to consider, and it does offer a separate use-case for an app like this - providing the opportunity to hear how your mix might sound on various headphones/speakers.

Hope that provides some clarity.

The Italian plan is progressing. Far more slowly than I'd like, of course, but it IS moving forward. I'm hoping to have more concrete news soon - stay tuned. ;)

• Thanks, Dave. Good ‘splaining.

• @Daveypoo or anyone else familiar with this app. I am getting my self confused. I am moving more to all headphones mixing... I know the horror, but I just cant sit in front of my monitors anymore. I have a pair of DT 770 Pro 80 OHM... so my question and maybe you answered it is.... what do I just select my headphones and it will try to make them sound flat??? I could care less about what mine might sound like against something else, I dont see a need for that. I do run my mixes in different areas, like Car, home speakers etc...... but I would like to mix on my cans as much as possible. These are new to me and I guess it will take a while to get my ears accustomed to them.

Thanks!!!

• @onerez said:
    @Daveypoo or anyone else familiar with this app. I am getting my self confused. I am moving more to all headphones mixing... I know the horror, but I just cant sit in front of my monitors anymore. I have a pair of DT 770 Pro 80 OHM... so my question and maybe you answered it is.... what do I just select my headphones and it will try to make them sound flat??? I could care less about what mine might sound like against something else, I dont see a need for that. I do run my mixes in different areas, like Car, home speakers etc...... but I would like to mix on my cans as much as possible. These are new to me and I guess it will take a while to get my ears accustomed to them.

Thanks!!!

Yes, just add the plugin to the end of your chain on the Master bus, select your headphones from the list and it will EQ out most of their flaws. It works pretty well.

• I think I understand this app, but let me ask another question. I recently have been making music late at night and exclusively in a decent set of open-back headphones. All sounds good, and not bad when i play the tough mix through the kitchen Tivoli speaker. But when I played through the audio interface and the KRK monitors, it was horribly boomy. Wow, i have to fix that, I thought. But now that mix sounds weak in the headphones.

Will Morphit help me get closer to a middle ground?

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I think I understand this app, but let me ask another question. I recently have been making music late at night and exclusively in a decent set of open-back headphones. All sounds good, and not bad when i play the tough mix through the kitchen Tivoli speaker. But when I played through the audio interface and the KRK monitors, it was horribly boomy. Wow, i have to fix that, I thought. But now that mix sounds weak in the headphones.

Will Morphit help me get closer to a middle ground?

The problem is more likely to be in the speakers than the headphones.

If you have an untreated room (and even if you do have treatment) there will be standing waves generated by the speakers and they will cause booming at specific frequencies.

Bass is the hardest thing to monitor accurately, and both speakers and headphones can have issues.

Open-backed headphones struggle with frequencies below 100hz, but Morphit will help counter that.

But in my experience the headphones are more likely to be giving you a closer picture of the truth than the speakers, unless you’ve really put the work in to make sure the speakers can monitor accurately in your room.

As a minimum the room needs bass traps and some EQ compensation from measurements taken with a dedicated measurement microphone.

• This video shows some of the problems in my room and how I’ve managed to mitigate them somewhat using room EQ. Before the EQ kicks in you can really hear the bloated bass from the standing waves:

• Oh and one more thing: using Morphit with a pair of good headphones (HD650s or Focal Spirit Pros) and room EQ makes the sound from my speakers and headphones very consistent, no surprises at all when switching from one to the other.