Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

IFretless Bass at the next bus stop

Looks like iFretless bass will be on the bus very shortly. :)

Comments

• YEAH! It's about the only thing missing with that app at the moment.

• Already on the bus,work fine.

• only watched half of the introduction video, and had to buy it. Really impressive. And now I finally have a reason to delete Garageband, which I like. Gives me more space on my 16GB iPad, and apparently a better playability for bass and other instruments. Thanks for the tip.

• edited February 2013

this app is crazy. Velocity output! Play an FM synth on the computer, and hear sounds you could not make with a regular keyboard (maybe with a Soundboard or Continuum, or other expensive hardware). Polyphonic pitch and polyphonic aftertouch (usually the y-axis) MIDI output we know already from certain apps like SynthX or Geo, but velocity was rare (Orphion, but not so well implemented).

• I take it that ifFetless only supports virtual MIDI and not core MIDI?

I've successfully controlled it with other apps but not via external controllers that works fine with other apps.

Regardless, it is a very nice app.

• @keebo I don't think you would get the expression from an external controller.

• edited February 2013

I sent output to WaveMapper. Absolutely amazing controlling WM sounds from Ifretless. One problem though. Are you getting a clicking sound from Ifretless?

• "I take it that ifFetless only supports virtual MIDI and not core MIDI?"

to my shame I still don't get it exactly what those things mean. Anyway, you can control iOS apps as well as external synths (softsynths, hardware synths). And I must correct myself: Orphion does a fine job too with velocity. It's the polyphonic pitch bend that can be adjusted (and made stronger) in iFretless, which is a good combination.

• I found the clicking noise source. If the volume control in Ifretless is up too high it will produce the clicking noise. @Phil999 I guess the easy answer is core midi is hardware or device related and virtual midi is software related.

• Anyone having trouble getting iFretless to send to ThumbJam? Tried it with every other synth app I have (which is more than is healthy) and had no problems whatsoever.

ThumbJam shows up in iFretless's list of Apps it can MIDI out to, but it makes no sound. BG audio is on in ThimbJam and all that. Also, iFretless does not show up in ThumbJam's voice input list, only it's voice outputs. Kooky. What gives, anyone?

• edited February 2013

@qaratechop No problems here. Ifretless shows up as voice output in midi control. Sorry misread your comment. What are you trying to do. I still get sounds from Ifretless in TJ without it showing up as voice input. My problem is, how do you turn off the sound from TJ because I'm hearing both.

• @mgmg4871 Use iFretless as a controller for ThumbJam.

I can use iFretless as a controller for myriad other Apps with no problems at all, and indeed use ThumbJam as a controller for iFretless, but not the other way around.

• Ok I gotcha. Cant get Ifretless to control TJ either.

• Just got it working. Turned midi destination to TJ in Ifretless setup.

• I've got TJ on as a MIDI destination in iFretless but no dice. Does iFretless show up in TJs MIDI Input Connections for you? It doesn't for me, only output connections.

• edited February 2013

Ifretless does not show up in input connection in TJ. Only output.

• @qaratechop Sounds like you might need a reset of ipad or reinstall of one of the apps.

• @qaratechop btw thanks I didn't think of using Ifretless to control TJ. Really nice. I changed the octave on a flute sound from Ifretless. Awesome.

• I tested it with Sampletank. Works great.

• Fixed it. It was an amateurish mistake really, forgot I had been fiddling with the MIDI channels in TJ. These things usually default to OMNI so it didn't occur to me to check it.

Mind you, a strange thing did turn up when I deleted and reinstalled iFretless. It asked me whether I wanted to keep or remove it from Game Center. That's gotta be some bug though as it's not in GC now that I've run it again. Shame, if there's one thing I think I deserve in life, it's some solid bass cheevos.

• Glad you got it working. I spent 10 minutes the other day wondering why I wasn't getting sound, well I had my headphones plugged in another device. Lol. It happens.

• Since no one mentioned it yet... I'll add that he also added a lock button for the strings this update. It was my request. The scrolling affected me Metal! ;-)

Sure is nice to have a fretless interface on board. Still can't wait for Geo though. I havn't heard anything about it in a while. Hope Rob kept at it. :)

• Last I saw he had it working, but was fixing other stuff.

• The clicking in the beginning of ever other note makes this app pretty useless as anything but a controller for other apps. The dev should fix the clicking and get little moore "oomph" on higher velocity levels on the lower notes/strings, after that I think this app would be crazy good. This app has so much potential and it's sad that a so obvious bug ruins the experience or maybe not everyone is experiencing the clicks?

• I turned down the volume slider in Ifretless the clicking disappeared.

• I really like iFretless but does anyone else think that it's output level is a lot lower than other apps? The other night I switched between iF and Thumbjam and TJ was way louder, it actually startled me for a second. I always have to crank the volume of iFretless all the way up but wish I still had more on tap because having to tap harder and faster to get more volume out of it affects my playing technique. I could play with more subtlety and not have to tap so hard.
    Just wondering.

• I tried to lower the volume. Did not remove the clicks.

• Yes, the volume is very low specially on the lower strings. Notes played on for example the D and G string suddenly "pops" out with high volume when a higher velocity is triggered, makes it hard to play a balanced performance. I have had better luck when controlling a bass sound in ThumbJam from iFretless, wierd. Again, in it's current state it works best as a controller but for that purpose we already have Cantor, and Cantor is free. Lets just hope iFretless dev fixes the current issues soon.

• edited February 2013

I did notice the low volume issue. @jtrake I thought lowering the volume cleared up the click issue, but now I have the volume maxed and still no click. I'm trying to play with it to reproduce the click to see what I did to clear that up. Will post when I find out. Also have you noticed the GM patch bank as you scroll to the bottom in settings? Well, all the patches work opening and choosing bs-16i as midi destination. I'm guessing it works with any app that has GM banks. Pretty nice feature. I don't know of any other apps that have GM banks though. It actually triggered sounds in ST by changing patches but of course different patches than listed.

• It actually triggered sounds in ST by changing patches but of course different patches than listed.

Ya, you need to toggle over to ST to set the right sound. Doing it from iFretless is inaccurate.