Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPadOS 14 issues

Since installing iPadOS 14 about two weeks ago, Audiobus is not working like it was. The OUTPUT section won’t launch any output apps (have tried GB and AUM)

Is there an iPadOS 14 update coming soon? Or can I delete the app and re-install it WITHOUT having to pay for it again. Using a brand new iPad 8th generation.
PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• On iOS 14, apps now need permission to talk to each other; you should see a dialog requesting permission the first time using the app. Failing that, you’ll need to manually enable Local Network permissions for that app (and maybe Audiobus too) - find it in the system settings app, then turn on the switch beside Local Network. Then everything should work as before.

• ALL GOOD NOW! Thanks so much for getting back right away.

• I wonder when apps will need to request permission to draw pixels or query touch input 😂

• @Michael said:
    On iOS 14, apps now need permission to talk to each other; you should see a dialog requesting permission the first time using the app. Failing that, you’ll need to manually enable Local Network permissions for that app (and maybe Audiobus too) - find it in the system settings app, then turn on the switch beside Local Network. Then everything should work as before.

@Mchael, could you provide more detail about where to find Local Network Settings for Audiobus and Audioshare in settings in iPad OS please?

• @DSCB57 said:

@Michael said:
    On iOS 14, apps now need permission to talk to each other; you should see a dialog requesting permission the first time using the app. Failing that, you’ll need to manually enable Local Network permissions for that app (and maybe Audiobus too) - find it in the system settings app, then turn on the switch beside Local Network. Then everything should work as before.

@Mchael, could you provide more detail about where to find Local Network Settings for Audiobus and Audioshare in settings in iPad OS please?

Manage Local Network Access of Apps on iPhone
    Launch the Settings app on your iPhone running iOS 14.
    Now, tap on Privacy.
    Next, tap on Local Network.
    On the next screen, you should see the list of all the apps that have requested permission to find and communicate on your local network.

• @onerez said:

@DSCB57 said:

@Michael said:

Now, tap on Privacy.
    On the next screen, you should see the list of all the apps that have requested permission to find and communicate on your local network.

Thank you. I already checked there, but neither AB3 nor Audioshare appear there, so they aren’t asking for access...

• @DSCB57 said:

@onerez said:

@DSCB57 said:

@Michael said:

Now, tap on Privacy.

Thank you. I already checked there, but neither AB3 nor Audioshare appear there, so they aren’t asking for access...

Hmmm. What about if you go to the app settings itself? Can you see it?

• @onerez said:

@DSCB57 said:

@onerez said:

@DSCB57 said:

@Michael said:

Now, tap on Privacy.

Hmmm. What about if you go to the app settings itself? Can you see it?

Thank you - there’s the problem then, since those options are not available on my iPad Pro 10.5

• @SevenSystems said:
    I wonder when apps will need to request permission to draw pixels or query touch input 😂

Sooner than expected!!
    They’ll add an O.T.P security process.

• @DSCB57 I’m confused. What iOS version are you on? The ipad model does not matter its the OS that determines this. I am on the latest 14.01.

• @DSCB57 Are you sure you're running iPadOS 14? Are you having this problem accessing other apps from AB3?

• @Jeezs said:

@SevenSystems said:
    I wonder when apps will need to request permission to draw pixels or query touch input 😂

Sooner than expected!!
    They’ll add an O.T.P security process.

🤣

• edited October 2020

You tell me, maybe I just imagined upgrading, or maybe I just stepped into a parallel reality in which everyone else but me can find this option under the same menu on their iPad Pro!
    On the other hand, it may just be that the network switch doesn’t appear on a Wifi only device such as mine.

@uncledave said:
    @DSCB57 Are you sure you're running iPadOS 14? Are you having this problem accessing other apps from AB3?

• @DSCB57 said:

[...]

You tell me, maybe I just imagined upgrading, or maybe I just stepped into a parallel reality in which everyone else but me can find this option under the same menu on their iPad Pro!
    On the other hand, it may just be that the network switch doesn’t appear on a Wifi only device such as mine.

@uncledave said:
    @DSCB57 Are you sure you're running iPadOS 14? Are you having this problem accessing other apps from AB3?

I believe that it doesn't show up as an option until the first time an application displays the alert asking the user for permission. A WiFi device is still on the "network." So, that isn't the reason. Perhaps something is corrupted in the database of apps that the settings app pulls from. It's not a great UI design to have disappearing/appearing options like this.

• iOS/iPadOS14.2 seems to be the 'sweet spot' to update to from earlier versions.

AUv3 state-recall doesn't work properly (iOS/iPadOS14.1) and even though GarageBand was just updated it suffers from the AUv3 state-recall issue when rendering out project files to audio... (Some hosts implement their own state-recall instead of relying on Apples implementation and those seem to work more reliably).

Don't know all the details but 14.2 points to a direction where things get 'back to normal'.

• @NeonSilicon said:

@DSCB57 said:

[...]

@uncledave said:

I believe that it doesn't show up as an option until the first time an application displays the alert asking the user for permission. A WiFi device is still on the "network." So, that isn't the reason. Perhaps something is corrupted in the database of apps that the settings app pulls from. It's not a great UI design to have disappearing/appearing options like this.

You’re right, this really isn’t very encouraging. I confess to being relatively new to this platform, soI have little idea how to check for or rectify any such database corruption?

• @DSCB57 said:

@NeonSilicon said:

@DSCB57 said:

[...]

@uncledave said:

You’re right, this really isn’t very encouraging. I confess to being relatively new to this platform, soI have little idea how to check for or rectify any such database corruption?

Unfortunately, the opaque nature of iOS means there's little we can do to directly attack such problems. That leaves us trying progressively bigger steps, trying to make the problem go away. These include

• Force quit the app (from the app switcher screen).
    • Restart the device (power off, then on).
    • Uninstall the app, then reinstall from the App Store. That makes the app repeat its initial setup, possibly restoring any lost configuration items.
    • Wait for updates to iOS or to the app.

In your case, you could try reinstalling AB3, to see if that brings it into line.

• @DSCB57 I found this..... can you try any of the below?

Great news, the problem seems to be resolved in iOS 14.1 (18A8395).
    We did multiple tests and every time the app is launched after a re-install, the Local Network permission is shown in the app.
    Also the Local Network toggle is present in Settings App -> Privacy -> Local Network.

Added bonus
    Finally it's possible to consistently reshow the Local Network permission in the app without uninstalling it first, by going to Settings App -> General -> Reset -> Reset Location & Privacy

Thanks Apple for resolving this.