Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The Continuing Hunt for Virtual Guitar Tone PART 2!!!!!! - Daveypoo, The Mobile Music Minstrel

edited October 2020 in App Tips and Tricks

Part 2 of my ongoing search for virtual guitar tones is live!

Comments

• Great video, as always.

Those Joyo pedals are a tremdous value, for those who are unaware of them.

The best part was you demonstrating the difference between IR and non-IR tone.

You should seriously consider making a video simply titled "Why you must use an IR!"

Even though we've spent years discussing their importance, what really will convince players is HEARING the difference they make!

Thanks again!

• @SNystrom said:
    Great video, as always.

Those Joyo pedals are a tremdous value, for those who are unaware of them.

The best part was you demonstrating the difference between IR and non-IR tone.

You should seriously consider making a video simply titled "Why you must use an IR!"

Even though we've spent years discussing their importance, what really will convince players is HEARING the difference they make!

Thanks again!

No problem! I didn't want to spend TOO much time focusing on the pedal since my channel is primarily iOS-centric, but it was important to show that the IR reverbs for guitar cabinets can be used with hardware also, and that they are ESSENTIAL to a convincing virtual tone.

Glad you dug it - thanks for watching!

• Never ashamed to toot my own horn, but I'm bumping this back to the front page for those that missed it yesterday.

• Oops. The title needs to indicate there's a "PART 2". I saw and ignored it as a video
    I have watched. I almost didn't re-open this again today for the same reason...
    old news, zombie thread. But I saw @Daveypoo was the last commenter and assumed
    a conversation was re-starting.

It's the title.

• @McD Updated per your instructions with added emphasis for maximum effect.

;)

• Nice. I think people will check out PART 2 as will I, now.

• FOUR THAFNAR IR's! That's the lede. 4 IR's for that "Real-a-room-vroom" sound.
    Where's my guitar. Can I use TH-U with 4 Thafnar's? I'm sure someone will want
    to maintain stereo imaging and will go for even more IR's.

• edited October 2020

@McD said:
    FOUR THAFNAR IR's! That's the lede. 4 IR's for that "Real-a-room-vroom" sound.
    Where's my guitar. Can I use TH-U with 4 Thafnar's? I'm sure someone will want
    to maintain stereo imaging and will go for even more IR's.

It's just a matter of system resources, but Thafknar doesn't tax my system too much. Frankly, this is closer to how the engineers will mic the guitar cab of someone like Eddie Van Halen or Slash or . That's largely how they get such a HUGE guitar sound - multiple mics on a cab and multiple guitar takes/parts.

It's pretty amazing the sonic difference that can be made just by sculpting the tone with a few instances of a cabinet sim. I'm looking into a stand-alone pedal that I can load IRs into to complete the "rig".

These Joyo pedals are good, but they are outstanding when paired with an IR reverb cabinet simulation.

• My big take away fro this video was the additional concept of using multiple MIC brands/types to build a sonic profile. I see the hardware guys doing that in their videos
    like Tim Pierce who is really good at detailing his studio set up down to the cable brand level
    and doing similar comparisons of amps, mics but always with his 4x12 cabinet placed downstairs in a vault as a courtesy to the neighbors.

• @Daveypoo another great video and perfect sequel. Can’t wait to try this out.

• edited October 2020

@mjcouche You're welcome!

@McD Absolutely - guitar amp micing technique has it's own mystery and mystique just as each mic has it's own sonic profile. Different types of mics (dynamic, ribbon, condenser, etc.) have different sound reproduction properties in addition to different manufacturers (Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, etc.) adding their own sonic profiles. The trick to using multiple mics is knowing how each sounds so that you can blend them together to get the tone you want.

Where the Sennheiser MD421 may be too bassy for some, the Shure SM57 may be too thin. A condenser mic may sound too brittle or the ribbon mic may be too muddy. The rear of the cab may sound too "boxy" or the room mic may give too much room - but these can all be dialed in to the right amounts with a bit of finesse.

• And one of these:

🤗

I kid, I kid!

• @Daveypoo said:
    @mjcouche You're welcome!

@McD Absolutely - guitar amp micing technique has it's own mystery and mystique just as each mic has it's own sonic profile. Different types of mics (dynamic, ribbon, condenser, etc.) have different sound reproduction properties in addition to different manufacturers (Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, etc.) adding their own sonic profiles. The trick to using multiple mics is knowing how each sounds so that you can blend them together to get the tone you want.

Where the Sennheiser MD421 may be too bassy for some, the Shure SM57 may be too thin. A condenser mic may sound too brittle or the ribbon mic may be too muddy. The rear of the cab may sound too "boxy" or the room mic may give too much room - but these can all be dialed in to the right amounts with a bit of finesse.

This prompts me to think:

Someone should survey great videos and training products for hardware studio techniques and teach us those principles using IOS tools... concepts like gain staging, mic techniques, parametric EQ's to open up a mix, etc. Many have been handled well here but mic'ing of virtual instruments sounds like furtile territory for a video teacher.

Who would create such a series? Someone with some studio experiences most likely.

Isolation is physical in the studio but for IOS it's probably a matter of imaging, EQ and
    creative note selection: like how a great bass player hears the guitarist's implicit bass line and the drummer matches the bass drum to the bass patterns, etc. So many tips for the casual IOS music maker based upon the key lessons from the studios.

When you used 4 Thafnar's did each get a fresh copy of the guitar input or was it a series
    with each being added in sequence? If the former, is that a benefit of the matrix ApeMatrix
    provides because routing a fresh signal to 4 FX in AUM hits it's Achilles heal: screen real estate. 4 FX channels would consume a huge amount of screen real estate but it would obviously fit for the tweaking of the IR's so not crazy. Just trick for anyone that doesn't see the potential of all those Mix Buses @j_liljedahl created for us. Be went all the way to Bus P...
    16 in all. He respects powers of 2 like all bit-heads.

• I've included a few of these bits, but admittedly they're buried in videos on other topics so I've certainly not done anything definitive. If I run out of apps to demo (not likely) I'll see what I can do here.

I did not stack these - each instance of Thafknar has it's own direct output from Eventide's Spring. This is largely why I like apeMatrix so much - the ability to see everything in one place. It has advantages for situations like this.

• @Daveypoo said:
    I've included a few of these bits, but admittedly they're buried in videos on other topics so I've certainly not done anything definitive. If I run out of apps to demo (not likely) I'll see what I can do here.

I did not stack these - each instance of Thafknar has it's own direct output from Eventide's Spring. This is largely why I like apeMatrix so much - the ability to see everything in one place. It has advantages for situations like this.

Yes. This is an advantage for complex FX routing use cases over AUM. Then flip over to the mixer/volume page. Nice. I spent about an hour in ApeMatrix once and didn't go back. Each DAW becomes a part of your workflow and switching is a bitch after you make a dozen projects. I collared with @LinearLineman on a Cubasis project and it helped me get past the
    "How do I do this?" phase.