Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gear you regret buying 💸

2»

Comments

• Circuit. I’ve tried everything. I still don’t really get on with the sound and the two-synths only track count is very limiting.

• There are numerous apps that would make this list for me...

• @purpan2 said:
    Circuit. I’ve tried everything. I still don’t really get on with the sound and the two-synths only track count is very limiting.

I still don’t know how it can be used when there’s absolutely no way of knowing what a knob will do.

• edited October 2020

@u0421793 said:

@purpan2 said:
    Circuit. I’ve tried everything. I still don’t really get on with the sound and the two-synths only track count is very limiting.

I still don’t know how it can be used when there’s absolutely no way of knowing what a knob will do.

There are two ways. One: turn the knob, listen to what it does. Two: see what the macro is assigned to in an editor / assign it to whatever you like.

• It depends on what ‘regret’ means to you.

• I wouldn’t go back and change anything.

• So I suppose I’m glad I bought everything at the time.

• But I’m not buying hardware gear again......... not with iOS around 😀

• Regrets..Cubasis 3 with all iap. Flowkiller. Ugly one too. Deleted

• Roland MC-808
    Yamaha RM1x
    Yamaha SU200
    Yamaha SU700

• @noob said:
    Regrets..Cubasis 3 with all iap. Flowkiller. Ugly one too. Deleted

Cubasis 2, no Ableton Link. Nanostudio, don't use.

• Roland MC307
    (horribly bad sound)

Korg Electribe 2
    (expected 25 voices poly
    a described in specification, got max 8-10 because of delay polyphomy stealing, bugs like wrong envelope retriggering, even freezed once !)

• @noob said:
    Regrets..Cubasis 3 with all iap. Flowkiller. Ugly one too. Deleted

Curious what doesn’t do it for you in CB3. I’ve found the opposite. But I don’t want to derail.

• edited October 2020

C3 is ok iguess for many ppl, this is just my personal opinion.
    Regrets ...not rly..expectations..definitely.when I was new to iOS noise, thinking desktop ish.. so got C3 and c2 didn't "work" for me (no fun). AUM and tons of toys=got my mojo back.(fun)

• Deepmind 12. Trash through and through. Like everything bahringer makes.

• @Korakios said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Is somebody writing all these down so we can do a Venn diagram with the gear you regret selling? And @Korakios I've never heard anybody saying anything bad about the Push 2 ever. Are you saying you want to leave the Ableton Cult?

I was never a Live user ,although it was cool. Push2 wasn't (for the price) :p
    Didn't like the pads, too much page flipping , most mods where available only from Max4live ,no 16 level pitch, no hybrid view (aka Force) . Also when I sold it ,the buyer told me the touchstrip died ,fortunately it was within guarantee .
    I was expecting to get rid of the computer screen ,but it wasn't possible. I bought an MPC One :)

Here's the process: 16 levels

1. I haven't done this in a while so I'm pulling this out of memory, but I'm pretty sure you just turn on MIDI map mode, hold down the keyboard key you want to trigger the clip at root pitch, then hold down two other keys to define the top and bottom keys for the entire range that you'd like for the clip.

2. Change the launch mode of the clip to "Gate" so that the clip stops when you're not holding down a key.

• my biggest regret was the novation circuit, bought it twice and was temporarily insane on both occasions.

• edited October 2020

@kobamoto said:

@Korakios said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Is somebody writing all these down so we can do a Venn diagram with the gear you regret selling? And @Korakios I've never heard anybody saying anything bad about the Push 2 ever. Are you saying you want to leave the Ableton Cult?

Didn't like the pads, too much page flipping , most mods where available only from Max4live ,no 16 level pitch, no hybrid view (aka Force) . Also when I sold it ,the buyer told me the touchstrip died ,fortunately it was within guarantee .
    I was expecting to get rid of the computer screen ,but it wasn't possible. I bought an MPC One :)

1. I haven't done this in a while so I'm pulling this out of memory, but I'm pretty sure you just turn on MIDI map mode, hold down the keyboard key you want to trigger the clip at root pitch, then hold down two other keys to define the top and bottom keys for the entire range that you'd like for the clip.

2. Change the launch mode of the clip to "Gate" so that the clip stops when you're not holding down a key.

That was rocket science :p
    You could simply convert a slice to instrument, but then it would no longer be in the same group with other slices

@kobamoto said:
    my biggest regret was the novation circuit, bought it twice and was temporarily insane on both occasions.

Now the editor is coming !

• edited October 2020

@Korakios said:

@kobamoto said:

@Korakios said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

That was rocket science :p
    You could simply convert a slice to instrument, but then it would no longer be in the same group with other slices

@kobamoto said:
    my biggest regret was the novation circuit, bought it twice and was temporarily insane on both occasions.

Now the editor is coming !

haha yeah but this way it's got that setting 16 levels vibe

re: I'm happy about all of the editors out for but the circuit is the devil antithesis of a groove box that will haunt me forever, just thinking about it makes me want to curl up in a fetal position with my digitakt or model samples

• @noob said:
    C3 is ok iguess for many ppl, this is just my personal opinion.
    Regrets ...not rly..expectations..definitely.when I was new to iOS noise, thinking desktop ish.. so got C3 and c2 didn't "work" for me (no fun). AUM and tons of toys=got my mojo back.(fun)

😎👍🏼

• Mackie MCU PRO controller/MIDI interface .

It’s great but I just never felt it helped me much. Initially I thought it would be like having a mixer ... but it didn’t pan out for me at least.

For sale if anyone is interested. Perfect condition in box.

• The Izotope Spire. It sounds great, good for on the go recording.
    I got it this year so I haven’t been many places to try to utilize it on the go.
    Also find it troubling that I can only use it with one app, would be better with Auv3 or even IAA through the spire app itself.
    Needless to say I got myself an affordable usb interface (itrack solo) probably going to sell the spire and pick up a better interface. Or maybe even a better midi controller.
    No telling at this point. All I know is if the spire app went auv3 I’d keep it.

• Every laptop from the HP cheapo pc I got after school to the macbooks and macbook pros, especially the MBP never made it half a year without a logic board swap.
    M-Audio Audiophile audio interface, knobs were c#*p and the driver was horrible.
    IZotope Break Twerker, didn’t do my homework and didn’t realize it was already abandoned, the sound packs were from the heyday of dubstep. Maybe they’ll be in fashion again in a couple decades.

• Roland VG-8EX
    Yamaha Magic Stomp
    Yamaha DG Stomp
    Zoom MS-70CDR
    Roland VG-99
    Lexicon MPX G2
    Menatone Howie
    Fender Californian Fat Telecaster

There have probably been many more which would have joined this list, but there are many I don’t remember.

The Roland VG-8 even with the EX expansion never lived up to its hype, and now it has very little value, and I wouldn’t sell it for what it’s now worth. I never liked the sound it produced, nor the huge amount of floor space it takes up.

Yamaha Magic Stomp and DG Stomp. If the DG Stomp had had the same bit resolution as the Magic Stomp, it would have been amazing, but the effects were also far more limited. The UI was actually pretty good, especially for on the fly editing of patches, because you can’t beat physical knobs. On the other hand, the Magic Stomp was pretty much impossible to program on the fly, and lacked a real digital reverb. I found the Magic Stomp a constant source of frustration, since it sounded so good, yet was so severely restricted by the UI and the fact that there was no midi access aside from interfacing with the PC editing software. I suppose I could have racked six of them up together like Allan Holdsworth, but that would have been an expensive option, still requiring a good deal of dancing over the foot switches, which I detest.

The Zoom MS-70CDR sounded great, and is incredibly versatile for what it costs, but I found out the hard way that these have a limited lifetime, after which Zoom refuse to repair them, so they are only useful as paperweights. Luckily my MS-50G survived even though it shows the same symptoms from time to time (goes to sleep, then can only be rebooted after a significant amount of time has passed - in the case of the MS-70CDR it never rebooted since). Both these units suffer from similar UI issues, being difficult to use in a live situation, and not being able to interface via midi unless you purchase an expensive custom 3rd party midi expansion unit, which I could not afford. So there is no way to connect an expression pedal or change patches using an external controller.

I only regret buying the VG-99 because of the countless hours I spent creating patches for it. I was never convinced by the amp and speaker modelling, and the synthesised section was very limited in scope. The effects and EQ were not quite u to par. On the other hand, the virtual acoustic sounds and the range of altered tunings were a great inspiration to me. But as with the VG-8, Roland soon dropped the VG-99 as well, leaving myself and many others feeling cheated and disgruntled. And once again this device has now lost much of its value.

I really tried to make the MPX G2 work for me, but it is just too difficult to program, and is not worth selling for what it’s now worth. I was also far from impressed by the preamp section. I definitely regret that purchase, even though I didn’t buy it new. It’s a shame, because this processor has such potential.

My Menatone Howie arrived not working correctly. The previous owner had messed around with the bias in order to increase the gain, but not tuned it properly, leaving it unusable. I had to send it back to Brian to get it fixed, but even then it comes nowhere near my Custom Tones Ethos TLE Overdrive, which doesn’t quite do it for me either in terms of mimicking the characteristics of a Dumble Overdrive Special. But I really don’t get on with the Howie at all - it’s the 7 knob version, which is much sought after, if anyone’s interested.

I just don’t like the sound or feel of my relic’ed Californian Fat Telecaster. It is a limited issue and was only made for one year, and is a genuine USA H/s model with a maple neck, but I just never really bonded with it. I find it heavy and uncomfortable to play, and I don’t like the maple fretboard.