Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DM-1 and Audiobus 2

Hopefully this will be a quick question for those who use DM-1.
How is DM-1 working for you in AB2?
I am not sure I am getting anywhere with State saving.
In fact i am sure it does not seem to work for me.
Should DM-1 be saving everything 'as is' when I save it as a preset? Including the current pattern? Or just what drum pads and effects I have selected?
Feel like I am missing something obvious here...
Thanks

Comments

• I have a feeling certain apps will just need to update. I have not tried DM-1, but I tried to record something (VERY briefly) with Sunrizer and MT DAW. Everything loaded up beautifully, and the mini buttons appeared, but the record button would not respond and I couldn't record. MT DAW definitely did a AB 2.0 update, but Sunrizer may not have.

I probably should delete and re-install AB anyway, but I anticipated some growing pains with this so I will be patient. I also think it's more on the individual developers than anything to do with AudioBus.

• I think you're right. With DM-1 though it seems there has been an update for AB2 as far as I can see and it says it supports State Saving on the compatible list.

I was wondering if anyone else has it working before I contact the dev.

Don't think Sunrizer is supporting State Saving just yet but I am sure that will be updated soon enough.

• edited April 2014

I just tested it and have the same issue. State saving don't seem to be working.

• @firejan82 said:

I just tested it and have the same issue. State saving don't seem to be working.

Many thanks.

• no problem, I sooo wanted to prove you wrong :(

• I've contacted the DM1 devs. Hopefully they can answer your questions better than myself.

• Hi Andrew,

please make sure that you have updated DM1 with the latest version (4.1) that is compatible with State Saving.

When you work in DM1, you always work on one session that contains any parameters in DM1 : patterns, song, drumkit, mixer state, effects, mide state, etc.

The State Saving will only store the reference of your session (e.g. a string of character).

If ever AB2 asks DM1 to load a non-existing session, nothing happens (a feedback message will be displayed the next DM12 update).

Hope this helps.

Pascal @ Fingerlab

• edited April 2014

Allright, tested that. Switching between two different AB2 presets with DM1 and this is good stuff. Lock your DM1 session if you don't want to lose the settings by accident.

• I am sorry I must just being ignorant here. I have the latest version, but
    I still however can't get any state saving as far as I understand what it is.

Forgive me Pascal but what is the "reference of my session" and what does it contain that I can vary?

• @andrew all of your dm1 state is saved within the DM1 song (aka session above). The AB2 state just tells DM1 which song to load.

• @syrupcore thank-you your explanation I now understand. Sorry to @pascal for being so slow...

• So does this work with presets on the forum?

• edited April 2014

This is more of a recall a preset then a proper save state, but hey it's much better then nothing at all.

Michael: I'm pretty sure the dude on the other end would need the same DM-1 project on his end for it to work. (?)

• @pascal on sessions and since you're here... any plans/chance for a 'not a noob' mode where users can save their projects manually? I can't tell you how many songs I've mistakenly overwritten and from comments here, I'm not alone. I think the 'always saving' model is great, generally, but I tend to experiment and tweak a lot and find myself overwriting old songs because I forgot to start a new session before touching anything.

• Hi everyone,

a session ( = all patterns+song+mixer settings+fx settings+midi settings,etc) is not currently saved in the Audiobus preset, as it can have hundred of parameters. It is not possible to save them one by one in an Audiobus preset. Therefore (as Syrupcore has correctly explained it) it is only the "name" of your session that is saved in an Audiobus preset.

So saving and loading Audiobus presets on your own device will work fine. In a forthcoming update, DM1 will send a message in Audiobus (at the bottom of the screen) if ever an Audiobus preset tries to load a session that is not there.

@Sirupcore : you can actually export and import (by mail, dropbox or iTunes) a session between different users or for saving pruposes (it is therefore a full session file that is saved). You'll find this option at the bottom of the Load popup (IMPORT PROJECT and EXPORT PROJECT) on the Song page.

I am in talk with Michael and Sebastian of Audiobus to see if we can improve anything.

Best,

Pascal @ Fingerlab

• @pascal Any chance you could fix the Midi sync when using virtual midi with audiobus? We've found a workaround, but it would be better to not have to use it. Here's what we've found:

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1564/how-to-get-midi-sync-working-with-dm1#Item_38

• edited April 2014

iSEM, Nave, NLog, Final Touch etc do save all their parameters along with a saved Audiobus preset/save state. Not just a call for an already existing preset withing the app. So it's certainly possible to save a lot of parameters data alongside an AB preset/save state. The "only" thing I can see that's different with DM1 would be the sequencer data and its automation. I'm not sure how much extra data all that requires. But, if an app can't recall the exact state it was in when saved as an Audiobus preset (no matter how many parameters), I personally think that app does not qualify as a "state save" compatible app. It will only lead to confusion, messed up projects etc down the road withing the Audiobus environment mixing simple preset calls within an app with an Audiobus save state-preset.

Apps like DM1 and others down the line that "only" does a recall of an internal preset, could just simply get another name/badge within the Audiobus environment, Preset State compatible (or whatever name you guys can think up;), just to avoid any confusion.

• @ChrisG

A DM1 update will be coming asap with presets that contain the full session that should make everyone happy.

@audiojunkie

Thanks for the link. We see what we can do.

Pascal @ Fingerlab

• @pascal That's great, thanks!

• It was the first time I've tried DM1's midi sync with Loopy's clock at the weekend, and it drifted pretty much instantly. Hmmm.

• Dropbox not working for creating a kit.....anyone else get this?

• I had a problem building kits for DM1 with Dropbox too, but it was my error, I had been using folders within the DM1 Dropbox folder, till I saw the fine print at the bottom of the user kit window

• edited April 2014

Removed all folders and left 1 kick drum in the folder.

The folder is named DM1 - THE DRUM MACHINE.

Still no go :(

• @pascal thanks very much for the reply. I think maybe you misunderstood my request. Has nothing to do with AudioBus state saving or sharing projects.

It's that if you open DM1 and do anything other than hit play the song that was loaded at start up is overwritten with that change. So if I have a nice pattern I like to use (say a funk beat) as a quick starter for tunes and I change the tempo I've changed the tempo for the saved song! What I'm asking for is the ability to turn off auto-save and introducing a 'save' button. The only way around this now is to immediately save a new song every time you open the app. Usually at the point when I open DM-1, I don't even know if I want to keep the general idea, let alone know the name of it! I want the option to save it once I've decided I like what's happening. Hope I'm making sense.

• @syrupcore What's wrong with locking the song on the song page? That is essentially saving a copy and protecting a copy from deletion, so that if a preset from Audiobus over-writes the active memory, it can easily be recalled. That's essentially what you are needing, isn't it?

• Jesus @audiojunkie. I had no idea that was there! It's exactly what I need. Thank you!

@pascal please ignore me. :)

• Glad to be of help! :-)

• @pascal said:

@ChrisG

A DM1 update will be coming asap with presets that contain the full session that should make everyone happy.

@audiojunkie

Thanks for the link. We see what we can do.

Pascal @ Fingerlab

This will make me very happy. I really love your app, it's central to all my iOS music and I really appreciate all your work updating it.

• @syrupcore - Sorry brah, I've known about the lock thing. I just wish I could easily manage the files in general - Very short filename lengths and no ability to reorder songs in the song-load menu. I have lots of things locked, I just feel that EVERYONE is used to a workflow that is Open File> Make Changes> Save changes or Save As a new name or reload/load a different file.
    The workflow here is Open File>Make Changes> unlock&relock to make changes. I'm not even sure if there is a way to "Save As..."
    I have still messed up beats because I didn't realize I had made a new derivative project and forgotten to lock the new project, or forgot to commit changes by unlocking and relocking before switching songs.
    IMNSHO it is too convoluted and that has always been my second complaint [behind the MIDI not playing well with LoopyHD as a master].

• +++ for DM1. My favorite drums app.