Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

I made a tiny Drambo morph/scene controller!

edited October 6 in Creations

Hi all, this is my first post so I hope it's alright to share this sort of thing.

I've been using Drambo since launch, and some of my projects make heavy use of morphs/scenes. I don't like keeping the Drambo window open just to access the slider… and my slippery fingers aren't the best at precise touchscreen movements anyway. So I made a hardware fader and I'm having SO MUCH FUN! I called it Jambo and you can see it in action here:

Comments

  • @orchid said:

    I need Jambo in my life.

    The track is wicked.

    'dRambonauts are go'.

  • It's a cover of A New Error by Moderat! The synths are half Drambo, half DRC.

    …the cover is close enough that I've already gotten a copyright claim on this video. Oops 😂

  • wow, creative man , hats off

  • edited October 6

    @orchid said:
    It's a cover of A New Error by Moderat! The synths are half Drambo, half DRC.

    Cool.

    I'll have a listen to the original at some point.

    …the cover is close enough that I've already gotten a copyright claim on this video. Oops 😂

    Lolololol... efforts for trying. 😂

    On another note.
    Are you going to be selling that mini controller?
    Not literally that one.
    I like the lights and everything.
    The fact that it's a couple of breadboards and no box.
    It looks so cool.

    It would fit right in with my crazy rig.

  • Insane!!! Are you planning to produce and sell cause I would be all in!
    Or perhaps willing to share schematic?
    😃

  • 🤩 wow thanks for the awesome response everybody!

    I wasn't planning to make another, but if there's enough interest I could throw together a small batch? This one's all hand-soldered but I could design something more shippable.

    @Philippe if I made a few for sale I'd definitely open-source all the firmware and designs, I'd be stoked to have more Jambo buddies.

  • @orchid said:
    🤩 wow thanks for the awesome response everybody!

    I wasn't planning to make another, but if there's enough interest I could throw together a small batch? This one's all hand-soldered but I could design something more shippable.

    I don't mind at all if it's hand soldered.

    Even if you were to only ship the parts that would be cool as well.

    I do soldering all the time.

    Can you ship to the U.K??

  • @Gravitas said:

    @orchid said:
    It's a cover of A New Error by Moderat! The synths are half Drambo, half DRC.

    Cool.

    I'll have a listen to the original at some point.

    …the cover is close enough that I've already gotten a copyright claim on this video. Oops 😂

    Lolololol... efforts for trying. 😂

    On another note.
    Are you going to be selling that mini controller?
    Not literally that one.
    I like the lights and everything.
    The fact that it's a couple of breadboards and no box.
    It looks so cool.

    It would fit right in with my crazy rig.

    Echo Gravitas... I might be interested in the controller too. Great track.

  • edited October 7

    @orchid I love it! Just linked to it on the beepstreet forum in the scene selector thread, but feel free to make a new post there.

    How much current does the arrangement consume?
    Thinking about powering it from LiIon cells and adding a tiny BT pcb from a Yamaha MD-BT01, mainly because I find this a perfect project for a wireless box.
    And I'd be interesting in using your code and probably discuss additional stuff...

  • @Gravitas said:

    @orchid said:
    🤩 wow thanks for the awesome response everybody!

    I wasn't planning to make another, but if there's enough interest I could throw together a small batch? This one's all hand-soldered but I could design something more shippable.

    I don't mind at all if it's hand soldered.

    Even if you were to only ship the parts that would be cool as well.

    I do soldering all the time.

    Can you ship to the U.K??

    Awesome, I can look into shipping parts to the UK! Here's a shot of the back side, does that still seem like something you're interested in? I can also make a proper PCB, it sounds like there might be enough interest 🤯

    @rs2000 said:
    @orchid I love it! Just linked to it on the beepstreet forum in the scene selector thread, but feel free to make a new post there.

    How much current does the arrangement consume?
    Thinking about powering it from LiIon cells and adding a tiny BT pcb from a Yamaha MD-BT01, mainly because I find this a perfect project for a wireless box.
    And I'd be interesting in using your code and probably discuss additional stuff...

    Thanks for linking it on the beepstreet forum!! The current draw is pretty low – it's stable around 15.5mA. It can plug directly into an iPad with no external power :)

  • @orchid said:

    Awesome, I can look into shipping parts to the UK! Here's a shot of the back side, does that still seem like something you're interested in? I can also make a proper PCB, it sounds like there might be enough interest 🤯

    I've done smd soldering before so yup looks straight forward enough.

    I'd much prefer the breadboards for my thing if you don't mind unless
    you're going to do the PCB in two like the one you've already built.

    Visually it looks aesthetically balanced.

    I think all the dRambonauts took one look and drooled.

  • @orchid said:
    It's a cover of A New Error by Moderat! The synths are half Drambo, half DRC.

    …the cover is close enough that I've already gotten a copyright claim on this video. Oops 😂

    Great cover!

    The device is kind of genius too. Would you consider selling any?

  • Damn I’d buy one lol

  • Can you show an image of the back side of the project please?

    "You can do that with Drambo".

    A Mozaic script using the X-Y Pad could probably be used as an alternative approach.

    But hardware controls provide such reassuring feedback and make you feel like your
    really in control.

  • @McD there's a photo of the back a few posts up! 😄

    @orchid said:

    @Gravitas said:

    @orchid said:
    🤩 wow thanks for the awesome response everybody!

    I wasn't planning to make another, but if there's enough interest I could throw together a small batch? This one's all hand-soldered but I could design something more shippable.

    I don't mind at all if it's hand soldered.

    Even if you were to only ship the parts that would be cool as well.

    I do soldering all the time.

    Can you ship to the U.K??

    Awesome, I can look into shipping parts to the UK! Here's a shot of the back side, does that still seem like something you're interested in? I can also make a proper PCB, it sounds like there might be enough interest 🤯

    @rs2000 said:
    @orchid I love it! Just linked to it on the beepstreet forum in the scene selector thread, but feel free to make a new post there.

    How much current does the arrangement consume?
    Thinking about powering it from LiIon cells and adding a tiny BT pcb from a Yamaha MD-BT01, mainly because I find this a perfect project for a wireless box.
    And I'd be interesting in using your code and probably discuss additional stuff...

    Thanks for linking it on the beepstreet forum!! The current draw is pretty low – it's stable around 15.5mA. It can plug directly into an iPad with no external power :)

    @McD said:
    Can you show an image of the back side of the project please?

    "You can do that with Drambo".

    A Mozaic script using the X-Y Pad could probably be used as an alternative approach.

    But hardware controls provide such reassuring feedback and make you feel like your
    really in control.

    Thanks for the interest everyone, I'm going to look into making a PCB for V2 so it's less chaotic to assemble. I'll keep you posted!

  • @orchid said:
    Thanks for the interest everyone, I'm going to look into making a PCB for V2 so it's less chaotic to assemble. I'll keep you posted!

    There are potential levels to this type of project:

    1. PDF of a PCB layout and parts list with instructions to assemble. $5 for example.
    2. Kit of PCB board and parts - cost of parts + $10.
    3. Assembled project - parts, labor and $25.

    Then people can weight the tradeoffs of assembly fun and lowest cost against the extra cost to just use a product that's been tested to work. Soldering carries it's own additional costs if you have to buy the tools.

  • I wonder if an OLED display (cost about $5.00), would be a good choice instead of those digit read outs. They wire direct to the processor, eliminating that middle circuit. Just a thought.

    https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-OLED-Display-Arduino/dp/B07D9H83R4/ref=pd_sbs_147_8

  • Simple PCB’s are relatively inexpensive JLPCB is one vendor.
    For 5, 2 layer boards it’s $2.00 (plus a trip from China). Just upload a Gerber file. I’m sure you know ;)

    Having just started with electronics I can confirm the initial outlay for soldering components.
    You can get a pen sized temperature controlled soldering iron for $30-110 (The $110 one is usb powered)

    If you do more than one project its worth it. If you only plan one look to a maker space to borrow / rent one.

  • Hi all, thanks for your responses and feedback!

    @wim said:
    I wonder if an OLED display (cost about $5.00), would be a good choice instead of those digit read outs. They wire direct to the processor, eliminating that middle circuit. Just a thought.

    https://www.amazon.com/DSD-TECH-OLED-Display-Arduino/dp/B07D9H83R4/ref=pd_sbs_147_8

    Yeah, alphanumeric LED displays have definitely fallen out of favour over the past few years – it's wild that they can end up more expensive than a decent OLED. But I love them! I find them much easier to read from a distance, and they're more reliable under extreme lighting conditions. It's worth the extra cost or LED-driving complexity for me. But for projects that involve more menu-diving I definitely use other display types.

    @McD said:

    There are potential levels to this type of project:

    1. PDF of a PCB layout and parts list with instructions to assemble. $5 for example.
    2. Kit of PCB board and parts - cost of parts + $10.
    3. Assembled project - parts, labor and $25.

    Then people can weight the tradeoffs of assembly fun and lowest cost against the extra cost to just use a product that's been tested to work. Soldering carries it's own additional costs if you have to buy the tools.

    I like the DIY and pre-assembled route. I open-source whatever I can, so once the PCB designs are finished, the first batch is shipped, and and I've spent some more time battle-hardening the firmware, I'd happily release all the code + specs + instructions for free.

    @audiblevideo said:

    Having just started with electronics I can confirm the initial outlay for soldering components.
    You can get a pen sized temperature controlled soldering iron for $30-110 (The $110 one is usb powered)

    If you do more than one project its worth it. If you only plan one look to a maker space to borrow / rent one.

    True! Since I've got the tools and skills I sometimes forget what an investment it all is. Once I've gotten more organized I'd love to offer an assembled version.


    This past week I've been putting all my free time into playing with Jambo 🎶 but when I get some time in front of the computer I'll get a proper PCB laid out.

    Thanks for the encouragement y'all, I'm so glad I posted this!

Sign In or Register to comment.