Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Invited this new drummer over last night!

2»

Comments

• Are any of there apps auv3?

• With a combination of Bassalicious 2, Atom, and my MIDI keyboard, I put a little more emphasis on the bassline in this piece.

Instead of tap/selecting the notes on the piano roll grid in Atom, I used Atom’s live Loop Record function and “played” the bassline into Atom with my MIDI controller keyboard.

Bassline comes in at 0:45

Again, a very simple bassline, but with more dynamics.

@royor said:
    @Intrepolicious Cool track.. I think Soft Drummer worked perfectly in this case.. it left space for the plucky panning element to move + still be heard clearly.. good sound choices..
    Using the word boring in my original comment (re: writing your own bassline in iBassist) was a poor choice.. I should have used the word simple.. I just wanted to remind iBassist owners that you could write your own line, in case they weren't aware of it.. or had forgotten..

You're right about writing a bassline quicker in Atom instead of firing up iBassist and searching for a line that'll work.. or trying to write the same line in iBassist.. I say, if you hear it in your head, write it as you hear it.. Especially if you think you're going to forget that line right away.. I live by that rule.. hum, tap, whistle, sing that line into a voice memo or something first.. you can then follow that when it comes time to record + then pick the appropriate instrument + sound.. capture the initial inspiration BEFORE it's gone..
    This is one of Atom's strengths.. quick + easy..

The cool thing about iBassist for me is that it can adapt the bassline to the particular flavour of chord.. e.g. major, minor, seventh etc.. So no matter what the chord progression is, iBassist will follow and change certain notes (3rd, flat 3rd, 7th, flat 7th) according to what is needed and/or written in the original bassline. That can very handy BUT It doesn't always workout.. As you already mentioned, a little bit of music theory could be beneficial BUT is not a necessity.. happy accidents and all that..

FWIW, DigiKeys does a similar thing in its sequencer when you pick the right key for your song.. great for melodies or catchy riffs (+basslines) that need to follow the changes.. (as an aside, I think you could've easily used 1 instance of DigiKeys for the 3 Atoms that you had here.. it's pretty useful for this kind of stuff.. and a nice option to have when you're attempting to run more than 4 Atoms)..

So.. if you have a very cool bassline that runs through major + minor etc.. chords, you might only have to write ONE bassline (in iBassist) and it'll change to match.. whereas in Atom, you'll probably have to write a bassline for each different chord change (or the entire progression).. (that may change in Atom 2.0) and nothing wrong with that as you can make each line unique..
    Of course the other bonus (with iBassist) is that it can pick a drum pattern (for ANY of the Lumbeat Drummers) that will match up quite well with the included factory bass patterns.. I love to test out what Afro Latin, Middle East + Brazilian Drummers come up with anyway.. as an added percussion track.. very cool stuff..
    This is not a huge deal if you're going to write everything from scratch anyway..

Totally agree.. It is great that we have SO MANY options.. pick your poison + if that doesn't seem to be gelling, try something else.. that too, can become a major time waster.. If you don't have ALL the parts figured out yet, Lumbeat apps (or MANY other iOS apps) may be of good use..

As always, YMMV..

Thanks. Like I said, I’ve re-installed iBassist, and will give an honest attempt to learn. Once I have a new iPad with plenty of storage for all of these apps, it’ll be easier to try a wider variety of “poison”.

Digikeys looks very interesting! I have their (4Pockets) Visual EQ console and feel like it’s a well made app. I’ll mark Digikeys down as a future “must get” app!

• @Ailerom said:
    Are any of there apps auv3?

I think they’re all IAA only unfortunately.

I just noticed he’s got a free “lite” version of Rock Drummer though! Might have to check that out!

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/rock-drum-machine-lite/id725314924

• @Intrepolicious said:
    With a combination of Bassalicious 2, Atom, and my MIDI keyboard, I put a little more emphasis on the bassline in this piece.

Instead of tap/selecting the notes on the piano roll grid in Atom, I used Atom’s live Loop Record function and “played” the bassline into Atom with my MIDI controller keyboard.

@royor said:
    @Intrepolicious Cool track.. I think Soft Drummer worked perfectly in this case.. it left space for the plucky panning element to move + still be heard clearly.. good sound choices..
    Using the word boring in my original comment (re: writing your own bassline in iBassist) was a poor choice.. I should have used the word simple.. I just wanted to remind iBassist owners that you could write your own line, in case they weren't aware of it.. or had forgotten..

You're right about writing a bassline quicker in Atom instead of firing up iBassist and searching for a line that'll work.. or trying to write the same line in iBassist.. I say, if you hear it in your head, write it as you hear it.. Especially if you think you're going to forget that line right away.. I live by that rule.. hum, tap, whistle, sing that line into a voice memo or something first.. you can then follow that when it comes time to record + then pick the appropriate instrument + sound.. capture the initial inspiration BEFORE it's gone..

The cool thing about iBassist for me is that it can adapt the bassline to the particular flavour of chord.. e.g. major, minor, seventh etc.. So no matter what the chord progression is, iBassist will follow and change certain notes (3rd, flat 3rd, 7th, flat 7th) according to what is needed and/or written in the original bassline. That can very handy BUT It doesn't always workout.. As you already mentioned, a little bit of music theory could be beneficial BUT is not a necessity.. happy accidents and all that..

FWIW, DigiKeys does a similar thing in its sequencer when you pick the right key for your song.. great for melodies or catchy riffs (+basslines) that need to follow the changes.. (as an aside, I think you could've easily used 1 instance of DigiKeys for the 3 Atoms that you had here.. it's pretty useful for this kind of stuff.. and a nice option to have when you're attempting to run more than 4 Atoms)..

So.. if you have a very cool bassline that runs through major + minor etc.. chords, you might only have to write ONE bassline (in iBassist) and it'll change to match.. whereas in Atom, you'll probably have to write a bassline for each different chord change (or the entire progression).. (that may change in Atom 2.0) and nothing wrong with that as you can make each line unique..
    Of course the other bonus (with iBassist) is that it can pick a drum pattern (for ANY of the Lumbeat Drummers) that will match up quite well with the included factory bass patterns.. I love to test out what Afro Latin, Middle East + Brazilian Drummers come up with anyway.. as an added percussion track.. very cool stuff..
    This is not a huge deal if you're going to write everything from scratch anyway..

Totally agree.. It is great that we have SO MANY options.. pick your poison + if that doesn't seem to be gelling, try something else.. that too, can become a major time waster.. If you don't have ALL the parts figured out yet, Lumbeat apps (or MANY other iOS apps) may be of good use..

As always, YMMV..

Thanks. Like I said, I’ve re-installed iBassist, and will give an honest attempt to learn. Once I have a new iPad with plenty of storage for all of these apps, it’ll be easier to try a wider variety of “poison”.

Digikeys looks very interesting! I have their (4Pockets) Visual EQ console and feel like it’s a well made app. I’ll mark Digikeys down as a future “must get” app!

Excellent... I can imagine iBassist just doing his thing (driving Troublemaker) on this one..
    I guess this is what it’s about, the music..
    Thanks for sharing..

• @Intrepolicious said:

@Ailerom said:

I just noticed he’s got a free “lite” version of Rock Drummer though! Might have to check that out!

If you do check back please. I have a good friend that I’m trying to gently nudge toward iOS.
    Was able to talk him into buying an irig and ToneStack on sale recently.
    I have the full version just wondering what the limitations are.

• Well, Future Drummer does this too...

• @RajahP said:

@Intrepolicious said:
    With a combination of Bassalicious 2, Atom, and my MIDI keyboard, I put a little more emphasis on the bassline in this piece.

@royor said:

As always, YMMV..

Excellent... I can imagine iBassist just doing his thing (driving Troublemaker) on this one..
    I guess this is what it’s about, the music..
    Thanks for sharing..

Ok, so I’ve spent a couple days learning how to use iBassist, and guess what... you guys are TOTALLY RIGHT!!! This app is AMAZING! Especially with it’s MIDI out accompaniment features!

It took me a while to figure out that the “Bass Line” grid’s 1 thru 7 is the scale based on the current chord in the “progression” part. Genius!

Once I realized that, and that I shouldn’t be looking at it like your typical piano roll, clouds parted, doors opened, and things became much clearer.

I wouldn’t want to use this for every type of music or jam, but wow... what an amazing and useful tool to have in our arsenal!

@Ben said:

@Intrepolicious said:

@Ailerom said:

If you do check back please. I have a good friend that I’m trying to gently nudge toward iOS.
    Was able to talk him into buying an irig and ToneStack on sale recently.
    I have the full version just wondering what the limitations are.

The “free” version definitely has some limitations of course. Mostly that there’s only a couple presets, and there’s an obvious lack of connectivity to his other apps compared to his full versions. I’ll be buying the full version for sure!

@RajahP said:
    Well, Future Drummer does this too...

Amazing! Jeez, these apps are going to force me to get another iPad with more storage... I’ve got to have them all!