Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Animoog Timbres

I am trying to figure out Animoog timbres. Timbres are the horizontal axis in Animoog. There are 8 timbres stacked vertically. Each timbre contain 16 waveforms corresponding to the 16 horizontal cells.

My question: can I store 16 completely unrelated waveforms in one timbre? My very limited understanding is that I need to have 16 looping samples to avoid clicks as each waveform is played over and over, but that they could be completely independent (no transition from one waveform to the next is required), but I don't understand how the horizontal axis plays back so this is quite likely wrong?

My understanding of the vertical axis is that it typically just interpolates the two nearest timbres, three don't ever interact at the same moment in time (in a single note), would be great if you could confirm or correct this as well.

Thanks for the help, I am trying to learn to program patches in Animoog and I'd really like to know what I can and can't do with custom timbres before I start trying to make them somehow (probably using command-line utilities or code, not Twisted Audio).

Comments

• @circledsquare said:
    can I store 16 completely unrelated waveforms in one timbre?

Yes, absolutely.

When you look at the grid, each square represents a different single-cycle waveform (SCW), but you can only load them as entire rows, which are chains of 16 SCWs. Which is a wavetable.

All of the interpolation between waves is done by the synth afaik. You're just presenting it with chains of waves to read.

If you open up one of the in-house timbres in an audio editor, you'll see how they need to be formatted. Off the top of my head, I think it's 44.1k, 16-bit wavs, with 1024 frames per cycle (times by 16 waves, so 16384 frames/samples per timbre).

I prefer desktop tools for this kind of thing (ocenaudio gets my vote) but iOS editors are always improving. Best of luck to you.

• It is essentially a wavetable synth.

The axis moves through the wavetables.

https://www.animoog.org/2016/12/23/rustik-x-k-251-new-animoog-presets-and-159-new-timbres/

• Thanks for the pointers both of you, appreciate it!

I guess then it just interpolates the 16 single-cycle waveforms in the timbre, probably just the two closest ones, so there won't be problems with transition horizontally, it will work in the same way as the vertical interpolation.

This means that if there is only a single timbre loaded, then it is playing back two horizontal cells that are interpolated to play a single note.

I am going to try to use something like ffmpeg (linux command-line utility) first.

• Any new source for Ready to load Timbres and presets ? I have all the ones shared here in the form earlier but it’s been quite some time since anybody shared any new ones.....where are we getting new Animoog presets from ?