Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Loopy and midi sync?

edited April 2014 in App Tips and Tricks

Hi! I'm trying to get a 4 beat drum loop from dm1 into loopy. I've tried different things wth audiobus and can't figure it out ...?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comments

• edited April 2014

So you just want the audio loops from DM1 to play inside Loopy? That's not anything to do with MIDI.. the easiest way would be to AudioCopy from DM1 and AudioPaste into Loopy

In DM1 go to the SONG tab at the top right, then choose the pattern you want to copy, then tap EXPORT at the bottom and choose the AUDIOCOPY option, and tap GO. Then open Loopy, tap and hold on a loop circle, and tap IMPORT, then tap the most recent General Pasteboard entry on the clipboard.

• Ah that's a good idea. I was looking at the midi clock sync on loopy and didn't know how to make it work ...?

• MIDI clock sync is just for controlling playback start and tempo... it won't actually send any audio data between apps

• Thanks again ... So how do you use loopy with audiovus?

• edited April 2014
    • Put DM1 in the Input slot of AudioBus
    • Put Loopy in the Output slot
    • Choose the pattern in DM1 you want to send to Loopy
    • Use the Audiobus toolbar that comes up on the side of the screen to arm the Loopy recording/begin playback

I prefer AudioCopy from DM1 just because it's a preset loop length anyway so it's nice and tidy... but either way works

• You could theoretically have DM1 setup to listen to the MIDI Clock coming from Loopy (or even vice-versa), and the programs would start and stop together at the same BPM, but there would be no audio passed between the two.

Practically though/sadly, the two programs don't talk well to one another and the clocks drift apart over time! :(

To pass audio into Loopy from anything. put loopy in the last audiobus slot, put anything in the input slot - mic or DM1 or whatever.

• Oh, and I second using AudioCopy for drum loops into loopy.

• edited April 2014

Me and a few others have said this before, LoopHd's midi clock is rock solid and this can proved if you monitor it with Midibus.

I agree with @jesse_ohio , it's much easier to audio past loops into LoopyHD, than trying to sync the app with LoopHD, if the app in question has poor or no midi clock sync.

LoopyHD and Audiobus are the main apps I use when syncing with other apps and there's quite a few with good midi syncing capability, I hope to make some videos, of apps that sync well together and how I use them, in the near future, just waiting ( like the rest of us ) for Audiobus 2 to land.

• And how do I get the tempo synced? Thanks!!

@synthandson said:

eroxx if you want to record DM-1's output into loopy via Audiobus, just start up DM-1 in the input slot and loopy in the output slot. Choose how many beats you want to record in loopy. Go to DM-1 and tap on the loopy icon in the Audiobus tab to see your options.

Under the 'record' button, you'll see a circle that shows the number of beats that loopy will record and on that circle there's a 'beat index'. If you tap 'record' now, you'll see that the record icon is green and the beat index is moving.

As soon as the index reaches the '12' position, loopy will start to record DM-1's output. Just count with the index to get the timing right.

I hope this helps.

• @Multitouch - If the Loopy MIDI clock is "Rock Solid", then how come when I sync DrumJam to slave to LoopyHD, every single measure DrumJam reports "upcoming tempo change"?

• @eroxxx - You set the BPM to same in both programs. ?

• @b0bert0 said:

@Multitouch - If the Loopy MIDI clock is "Rock Solid", then how come when I sync DrumJam to slave to LoopyHD, every single measure DrumJam reports "upcoming tempo change"?

Check if you have both DrumJam and Loopy sending clock sync to each other. This might be the cause.

• You only want one app sending clock to the other not both as @SaveAs said

• I watched this video:

And for the life of me can not duplicate this in loopy. There are so many midi settings in funk box and loopy. What do I do if I want loopy to record a loop from funk box?!

• So new issue: I figured out how to record the loop. But once I'm done with dm1, how do I hear it?!?! I remove dm1 but the loop in loopy is frayed out ...?!

• frayed out?

• Hi guys ... Still having issues with clock sync. I have midibus if that will help -- I have a beat in DM1 and want to change the tempo of it, and have loopy change the tempo in sync to DM1 ... ?

• I think I figured it out!!

If you have midibus, run midibus, and send clock to both Loopy and DM1

Then, in DM1 settings:

Midi From:

Loopy HD: NOTES
    Midibus: TEMPO

Midi TO:

Loopy HD: NOTES AND TEMPO

Tell me if I'm crazy, but I think this works!