Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

RANT: Youtube Music Making Videos...........

Comments

• Any good channels that focus on jams with iOS at the center of their workflow?

Always a fan of presenters who speak sparingly (so that I can enjoy the sounds) and keep the conversation on what instrument or tool or vibe they're using and why.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@klownshed said:
    I do like this bloke’s videos. Spot on observation :-D

Haha. Brilliant!

Had this in my watch later list. I would have probably skipped it if it hadn’t appeared here. 🙂

@d4d0ug said:

The Maestro 😉

Love this guys work 😎

• He's a class act - such an intriguing mix of alpha male and ultra nerd, not to mention he got da fonk and is super entertaining.

• I can’t though... that moustache... just, no...

• @AudioGus said:
    I can’t though... that moustache... just, no...

Hahaha, he's got balls to attempt to pull that look off, that's for sure.

• At least it lowers people’s expectations so then when they see a real musician they’re in utter shock

• I’ve been working hard at my YouTube channel since lockdown began. I’ve learned a lot in a few months, made a lot of mistakes and made big improvements - and tried to be as helpful as possible to iOS musicians. Reading this thread made me laugh, then it made me uneasy... I’m like... don’t hump the desk.... check .... don’t wobble on about 808’s.... check..... don’t talk too much..... errrrrrrrr.........

• edited September 2020

@RUST( i )K

Didn't noticed this thread before, but maybe it is good becasue back then my opinions would be probably different (most probably lot more same like yours :)). But because recently i dive deeper into HW production / jamming, here my point of view ...

1- You are not impressing me by having a bunch of loops loaded and triggering them. That is not technically playing anything live.

But consider also fact that guy who is playing those "loops" also created them in first place. So the YT video is way to present his work and time he spent on developing that loops in first place.

(we're not talking now about "producers" who just sample some random shit from vinyl, then they using auto slicer they split that loop to pads and they they're randomly triggering it - when comes to this, i totally agree with u)

2- Moving your fingers in an odd frantically and methodical twirling of your fingers like a magician when not even touching knobs is silly looking. "fancy fingers" I call it......hocus pocus watch me turn this know..... ;)

Basically yes, it looks sily and funny. But after i strarted try to recrod some stuff on HW too, i realised that this way of touching knobs has really 2 advantages

• it keeps you 'in the rythm', it helps you to stay in flow. really it's just subjective feeling, but at the end it's music, it's all about subjective emotions.
    • it helps to do more precise subtle tweaks in some scenarios

So yes/no. You have to try it really. In many cases i agree, it's silly, especially if somebody is really just touching knobs but don't twist them in any way (mostly DJ's are doing this).. but in some cases it really makes sense.

3- Just because you get many people telling you how "good" you did with a video. You may not be as good as your are lucky to have kind, polite, and generous viewers.

Definitely high level of self-criticism is always handy. This goes not just to live jams/performances but also to own production in general. I personally of course can't deny i like when somebody likes my music, but constructive criticsm like "hey dude, that bass is absolutely out of tune" or "hm, that kick is way too loud" is REALLY helpful, and i appreciate this kind of feedback lot more that just plain simple "good suff" comment ;-)

4- Ambient jams ......are well.....not my thing at this point...........a drone has a synonym and it not "exciting". or "dynamic"...LOL :)

It depends on case. Some ambient/chillout jams ale boring, other are amazing to listen. Good indicator if some jam/performance is woth to listen is to play first few seconds, then short part in middle and then end - you hear if there is some serious evolvement / changes, or it's just same drone all the time from begining to end ..

For example this guy has some pretty great amient/chillout jams/performances on YT. Really great musically mature stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMS2Q3Cgi1Y71sj5bLWG2vA

• edited September 2020

For perormances, putting aside the quality of any composition, if all you’re going to show is a few button presses and knob twists, it probably doesn’t merit a video.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:
    For perormances, putting aside the quality of any composition, if all you’re going to show is a few button presses and knob twists, it probably doesn’t merit a video.

I agree, I play the instruments as much as possible in my videos - so you’re hearing it while I’m putting down a part. Id feel daft just sat there.

• What if you bought the loops with money you made from busking?

• @robosardine said:
    What if you bought the loops with money you made from busking?

Depends on the hand movements, but still probably not allowed.

• How can you see my hand movements and table humping behind a screen capture???!!!!

• Tel me these dancing hands aren’t amazing. I dare you. :)

Best part: This genius has TONS of these.

• Thanks to @AndyPlankton for the heads up. :) This guy is some kind of freaky genius. How come he isn’t huge?

• @Svetlovska said:
    Thanks to @AndyPlankton for the heads up. :) This guy is some kind of freaky genius. How come he isn’t huge?

I think he’s got quite a following. He packs out live venues.
    He did some great live streams during lockdown earlier in the year.

Talented guy and not an ounce of shame.

• @TheOriginalPaulB said:

YouTube is one of the top couple of ways of exposing one's music. The video is almost superfluous, but you have to have something there to distribute the audio. To ignore YouTube just because you don't have any good visuals is to walk away from a huge potential audience.

Most of the time I don't care what's on the screen. I don't even watch most of the time. I'm talking about music performance, not music-making videos with a bunch of talking. I almost never watch those.

• My point was, if it’s a performance, make it a good one. If it’s simply a playback, match it up with some interesting visuals.

• @LeeB said:

@Svetlovska said:
    Thanks to @AndyPlankton for the heads up. :) This guy is some kind of freaky genius. How come he isn’t huge?

I think he’s got quite a following. He packs out live venues.
    He did some great live streams during lockdown earlier in the year.

Talented guy and not an ounce of shame.

Yeah Marc def has a solid following and he got a notch when Erykah Badu jammed with him on his chan earlier this year. That shit was actually hilariously entertaining AF.

• Errrr...
    Ok for entertainment and example reasons can ya'll share some of the good and bad or whatever videos?
    Also, post some of your jams. I'd like to follow some of ya'll on YT or IG . iOS/HW or whatever.
    On YT I really dig jams from stlndrms, Jade Wii PerplexOn, Aldo and Jay Hosking

• Here’s one from some guy called @dendy...

• @klownshed said:
    I was going to make a how-to jam video but I don’t have a tiny pot plant or any mini manga figurines.

Shame as I’d been practicing the hand-finger-ballet all day.

;-P

Of course....the staging is another questionable menagerie of foolishness! LOL

• @noob said:
    Boo hoo Beats

Now now......let’s protect innocent people!
    LOL

I actually think Bo Beats is a good dude. It took a lil time to understand his approach.

But-unlike some others I think Bo is a good dude with a huge heart. Not enlarged from MDMA like mine. LOL

• @syrupcore said:
    Funny how this turned out to be one of the best youtube threads on the forum in a while.

That’s because I am amazing at being wrong or misunderstood! LOL

• @kinkujin said:
    Me = yesterday. "I think I'll upload a tune to soundcloud of my latest 'experiment' in AUM using Rozeta".

Me = today after reading this thread. "I think I'll keep my 'experiments' to myself"

Friggin hysterical!

LOL

Generally within 24 hours of completing any project- I PHUCKING HATE IT ANYWAY ABD DELETE IT!

LOL

• @ehehehe said:

@Samu said:

@reasOne said:
    lol this thread
    table humping, plants, 808s🤣, triggering loops..
    but what about the modular wall the size of my house and the “jam” they are making could be done with a 100$ uno synth!

Paolo (Synthmania) rocks :)

Sympathetic guy, by all means. But those terribly cheesy examples reminds me of cover bands. Imagine what a real musician could do with all his gear...

I must admit- the Covid lockdown videos have made me feel great about myself.

I didn’t realize how talented I really am till I saw the clown symphony of dysfunctional discussions and self-important jack ass wannabes as I have lately!

“Make me feel great again” is my motto

• @ehehehe said:
    When your audible example sound terrible, I reckon you are a youtuber first and musician second. I mostly only watch stuff from proper artists. If your catalogue is as unimpressive as mine, what do you really have to offer? I’d rather read a manual than watch some dude with his face faffing about for 30+ mins... Rant done.

Check Mate!

Reminds me of when I taught high school-
    All the principals/VP were failed teachers who went on to get advanced degrees because they sucked at teaching so now are in charge of teachers.

I would love to know the motivation of some YT.

Do they think they are that good?

Do they think they are that interesting?

Do they think their voices are pleasing?

Are they trying to be famous?

IN OTHER WORDS- WTF were they thinking?

• @Samu said:
    And don't forget Alex Ball :D

Who? :D

• @d4d0ug said:

The Maestro 😉

I really liked him.

Till one day .....I somehow lost interest.

Odd.

Perhaps I will come back to him some day.

• @Samu said:

@jolico said:
    😂

Doesn’t it grind your gears when they talk about 808s?

They should call it what it is. Distorted/overdriven sine/triangle-waves LOL.
    For me the 808 will always be the drum machine. The world needs more Rimshots, Cowbells and Claves :D

But this is not the worst it's all these 'wannabebroducers' mixing up terminology...
    ...and the f'ked Youtube Algorithm promoting these nutcases.

And how many lame videos are there to explain how to properly set the 'gain levels'.
    It's like did some of the people lost their brains somewhere?!?

Youtube has gotten worse over time, even if I say 'don't recommend videos like this' Youtube keeps insisting on pushing the videos because I watch a few 'similar channels' so I have no other option than to block the mofo's doing those videos...

YouTube has become something I don’t enjoy as much . Except when in a bad mood or want a lol.

😉