Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Machine+ vs. Machine mk3 vs. Akai MPC One

Comments

• I'm in the minority but I do really enjoy the 'Hype' synth in the Force. Multi-synthesis macros x2 or 3, but sorely lacking LFOs. Come on 3.0.6!

Elektronauts are testing loading Reaktor factory ensembles in Maschine+, and someone found that R5 ens load properly when reloading a song? But not R6 ensembles? Anyone here test that yet?

• @alecsbuga said:
    @echoopera I got both One and M+ too :) Although I use them standalone or with my TE stuff. But I don’t find all the presets on the MPC One’s synths that bad. Although they do sound a bit cheesy.

As for Maschine, in the Chords tab you have also progressions which sound nice. You can’t make your own though. They’re great with Arp.

Yep. I see those. It’s definitely good stuff...just some things on One i like. Super happy with everything so far though.

• edited October 2020

The Force fights back !

• edited October 2020

A really nice Project based demo:

And some great workflow optimization pointers here:

• I'm thinking selling the One and get the Force . Now it's faster than ZenBeats

• edited October 2020

Akai Force 3.0.5 gets Ableton .als import+export, advanced 16 levels (Tune+Filter+Layer+A+D), recordable performance modes and macros ala OT + Rytm, sample parameter automation ala OT (not quite OT territory), song arranger (and can record directly into it), envelope followers on audio input as a modulation source (or use as global LFOs), Elastique Pro, multi-MIDI (over USB), flatten clip to save CPU, Retrospective Record ala Live/Cubase, lazy chop, FX racks w/ macros (using the 64 pads+encoders+XY+crossfader), multitrack MIDI recording, stem export...

• Surely an Ableton Push standalone will be greenlighted the way the market is moving.

• edited October 2020

@SpookyZoo said:
    Surely an Ableton Push standalone will be greenlighted the way the market is moving.

I often think of that...but honestly, I hope it doesn't come out until I've mastered the Maschine+ more :)

Would be cool to have Analog, Simpler and Operator and all the Max4LiveFX running on a stand alone.

• Loving this relationship more than i thought:

• edited October 2020

@WillieNegus said:

@echoopera said:
    Loving this relationship more than i thought:

Hol’ up! Have you figured out how to get audio out thru just lightening/USB connection?😱

So far I’m going thru my K6 which isn’t troublesome at all but I’d prefer USB. So far, I’ve only gotten midi out/in over usb.

Mewahahah. I wish 🤪 Not directly, but sort of...just sending audio over my Kingston USB-C hub which allows me to plug in the USB-C to 1/8 audio plug and route that to the M+Audio In.

See the dongle:

• Hrmmm. I hear that this Port is pretty good

🤪

• edited October 2020

@echoopera said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Surely an Ableton Push standalone will be greenlighted the way the market is moving.

I often think of that...but honestly, I hope it doesn't come out until I've mastered the Maschine+ more :)

Would be cool to have Analog, Simpler and Operator and all the Max4LiveFX running on a stand alone.

Yep. Nice thinking on the Max stuff, hadn’t even considered that.

Add Wavetable to that list and I’m sold!

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the Plus at the moment though. Certainly looks a sweet bit of gear.

• so does the Force's ALS import feature mean that now you can export any iOS app that exports to Ableton format and import it into the Akai Force ?.... looks like that's what the interweb is claiming today?

• @kobamoto said:
    so does the Force's ALS import feature mean that now you can export any iOS app that exports to Ableton format and import it into the Akai Force ?.... looks like that's what the interweb is claiming today?

Yes.

• @legsmechanical said:

@kobamoto said:
    so does the Force's ALS import feature mean that now you can export any iOS app that exports to Ableton format and import it into the Akai Force ?.... looks like that's what the interweb is claiming today?

Yes.

It’s awesome.

• @kobamoto said:

I must admit, this is the one feature on that list that stuck out for me. Very cool.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@kobamoto said:

I must admit, this is the one feature on that list that stuck out for me. Very cool.

yeah that's crazy, and you can export to als from the mpcs and import into the force too, don't know where they are going to end up with all of this but where ever they are going it's looking good

• I was an ableton push user, then went dawless and went to the ipad (first used as central hub/daw/sequencer for external gear, and now still using it as sound source) then i got octatrack, which i sold for the mpc live, then mpc one.
    2 days ago i got the Maschine Plus
    I have to say: NONE of those devices gave me so much instant gratification and fun as the M+. The internal sounds, the pads, the intuitive workflow... this thing is great! So great i don’t even regret the hefty price anymore.
    And last but not least: i like that it is even more flexible as a central studio hub, than the MPC with its 2.8 update, because it accepts audio and midi interfaces. Even my expert sleepers es-9. Now i have 16ins and 16outs on this freaking ma(s)chine !

• @AlaErt said:
    I was an ableton push user, then went dawless and went to the ipad (first used as central hub/daw/sequencer for external gear, and now still using it as sound source) then i got octatrack, which i sold for the mpc live, then mpc one.
    I have to say: NONE of those devices gave me so much instant gratification and fun as the M+. The internal sounds, the pads, the intuitive workflow... this thing is great! So great i don’t even regret the hefty price anymore.
    And last but not least: i like that it is even more flexible as a central studio hub, than the MPC with its 2.8 update, because it accepts audio and midi interfaces. Even my expert sleepers es-9. Now i have 16ins and 16outs on this freaking ma(s)chine !

Wow...sounds like my path to DAWlessness as well...and couldn't agree more :)

• I think I saw a snippet sying that it can record incoming Multitrack MIDI.

Is this correct? Any limitations? Cheers.

• Woah, ES-9 works directly w/ Machine+'s USB port?
    I wonder if the iConnectAudio4+ does? Machine+ and iPad modular audio+MIDI routing sounds killer.

• @Sequencer1 said:
    Woah, ES-9 works directly w/ Machine+'s USB port?
    I wonder if the iConnectAudio4+ does? Machine+ and iPad modular audio+MIDI routing sounds killer.

i’m pretty sure it will work with the ica4+ and with any class compliant audio interface!

• edited October 2020

Waiiiiitt what? It works with ES-9, fuck. 😭 Now I definitely want it!!!

Anyone interested in buying Maschine MK2? 😁

• Starting to get the hang of this instrument. In 4 days I've accomplished more than 1 month on the MPC fwiw. The Maschine+ workflow is pretty awesome.

• I like my Akai Force, skipping this stand alone Maschine plus dealy...it’s not worth the extra bread for me. Nothing wrong with it, it’s just too expensive and I have some other wants right now...plus the next version will be better so I’ll wait on that one.

• edited October 2020

It's obvious that Maschine+ is just a taste of where NI is going with standalone hardware.

I love the Machine workflow, but I'm waiting for: 1. when most of Komplete works on the M+ and 2. Maschine Jam support for live performances. Then I can justify getting M+ instead spending $$$ on my next computer.

At that point there will probably be a standalone Komplete keyboard, which would give the flagship workstations from traditional synth companies some serious competition.

Right now for a current Maschine owner standalone seems mostly just a novelty. Aside from the metal case and boot sequence, what's difference from using an M+ vs a MK3 (with a really long USB cable and computer hidden)?

Back when I bought my first Maschine (8 years ago yesterday!), I suggested to NI a "headless mode" where you could set the Maschine software to automatically start on computer boot and then mirror all the dialogs on the controller, so you use a Mac Mini or small desktop PC (without a monitor) as a standalone system.

• edited October 2020

Right now for a current Maschine owner standalone seems mostly just a novelty. Aside from the metal case and boot sequence, what's difference from using an M+ vs a MK3 (with a really long USB cable and computer hidden)?

It’s just as much a Novelty as the current line of MPC Lives on the market which were modeled after the MPC Touch which preceded them. I can just use the M+ with the onboard kit, my hardware synths and some iPad synths sprinkled in. No computers involved.

So technically it’s more than a novelty. It’s a stand alone instrument built on the years of success of the Maschine MK3.

I think they made the right move.

Great idea on the Komplete Keyboard to support all their great sound packs in stand alone. That would be cool.

Who knows, maybe in 2 years the dream that was OpenLabs in the early 2000’s will become a reality.

• edited October 2020

@echoopera said:

It’s just as much a Novelty as the current line of MPC Lives on the market which were modeled after the MPC Touch which preceded them. I can just use the M+ with the onboard kit, my hardware synths and some iPad synths sprinkled in. No computers involved.

So technically it’s more than a novelty. It’s a stand alone instrument built on the years of success of the Maschine MK3.

Great idea on the Komplete Keyboard to support all their great sound packs in stand alone. That would be cool.

Who knows, maybe in 2 years the dream that was OpenLabs in the early 2000’s will become a reality.

Well the MPC Touch was Akai's answer to Maschine, so that makes sense. I'm not trying to bash NI at all. I've given them pleny of money over the years. (2 Maschine, 4 versions of Komplete, 3 versions of Traktor, 2 audio interfaces, and 2 midi controllers). I mean a novelty in that, from what I've read, you don't gain any notable additional functionality using M+ in standalone, accept not having to boot your computer.

In the videos I've seen the screens in standalone vs controller mode are exactly the same...right? If that's correct, you're actually getting LESS plugins at your disposal vs just using a long USB cable and closing the lid of your laptop or shutting off the monitor... and you're paying and extra $750 (vs an MK3) to do it.

I'm all for focused, standalone hardware, but the M+ at this point seems a bit of solution looking for a problem. I'm still waiting to see the KILLER feature that's make it shine. I know some folks are early adopters, but I'm more of a wait-and-see cheapskate, despite my gearlust.

• @coolout said:

@echoopera said:

I mean a novelty in that, from what I've read, you don't gain any notable additional functionality using M+ in standalone, accept not having to boot your computer.

In the videos I've seen the screens in standalone vs controller mode are exactly the same...right? If that's correct, you're actually getting LESS plugins at your disposal vs just using a long USB cable and closing the lid of your laptop or shutting off the monitor... and you're paying and extra $750 (vs an MK3) to do it.

That „not having to boot your computer“ (aka avoiding the desktop OS) is a major feature.
    The OS booted by Machine and other stand-alone boxes is dedicated to a specific purpose of use - while a desktop OS with all that background processing... you guessed it... ;)

DSP performance in a regular desktop environment is about a meager 15% of the CPU‘s technical capabilities.
    Which puts those „light“ CPUs of standalone units in a very different position.

• @AlaErt said:
    I was an ableton push user, then went dawless and went to the ipad (first used as central hub/daw/sequencer for external gear, and now still using it as sound source) then i got octatrack, which i sold for the mpc live, then mpc one.

I have a Push 2 also. I was totally smitten with it for a while, but when I heard Maschine 2 was getting timeline recording I dusted off my MK3 in preparation and fell in love all over again. Loaded it up with K13 (upgraded from 11 Ultimate) and it blows my mind how musical and straight up fun it is compared to the Push. It’s biggest strength is arguably Komplete integration. Finding sounds in Live is so hard. On the MK3 it just guides you to the right sounds through its tags. If Live/Push would get preset filtering, I’d use it a lot more. But even then the pads on the MK3 are way better to play, screens are nicer and my word the MIDI editing is actually halfway decent.