Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

All Apesoft apps 40% off in September

Don’t know how long it will last.
Might be the good occasion to grab some stuffs I hesitated for until now...

Comments

• Yep. Just grabbed mood and iVCS3. What's the benefit of apeMatrix vs AUM and Audiobus?

• @Lil_Stu07 said:
    Yep. Just grabbed mood and iVCS3. What's the benefit of apeMatrix vs AUM and Audiobus?

Not much really. It’s just a different way of looking at wiring things together. Very visual and very flexible.

It’s closer in concept to AUM than to Audiobus.

• @wim said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:
    Yep. Just grabbed mood and iVCS3. What's the benefit of apeMatrix vs AUM and Audiobus?

Not much really. It’s just a different way of looking at wiring things together. Very visual and very flexible.

Ok. I didn't think it was needed. Seems like people either use it or AUM. And I really love AUM. Thanks!

• @wim said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

You could host a host within a host. it’s iaa So only Audiobus state saves

• @Lil_Stu07 said:

How’s ivcs3. I’ve heard great things but will I need to dig in to really learn how to use it, Or is it pretty intuitive

• edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:

@wim said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Ok. I didn't think it was needed. Seems like people either use it or AUM. And I really love AUM. Thanks!

APE offers more flexibility in some areas and less in others than AUM. I only use AUM over it because I am used to it but APEmatrix has a lot to offer. The built in LFO's in matrix are fantastic.

• edited September 2020

@Poppadocrock said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

How’s ivcs3. I’ve heard great things but will I need to dig in to really learn how to use it, Or is it pretty intuitive

Think Pink.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x364g28

• @Poppadocrock said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I haven't dug into it yet. I opened it up and it was already playing a tune and took me a couple minutes to figure out which screen I needed to be on top turn it off. So it has at least 2 voices. Which in itself is pretty dope. When you first launch it it asks if you want to go through the tutorial so I imagine it will take some time to become comfortable with it.

• edited September 2020

@Daveypoo does a good job of laying out the basics. Many patches just begin emitting sound straight off when you open them. Hot Tip: turn the OFF knob to manual and you can play the patch.

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Poppadocrock said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Oh hell no. It’s about the least intuitive beast I’ve ever messed with. Fortunately there is a comprehensive set of YouTube videos linked right in the app.

It’s hella fun to learn though, and sounds great. I’m addicted.

• Yup, as yoda would say, 'intuitive it's middle name is not'.

• @Gavinski said:
    Yup, as yoda would say, 'intuitive it's middle name is not'.

Brian is it’s middle name, isn’t it :D

• I got ipulsaret and IDensity tonight. Here’s a little generative jam I set up in AUM:

IDensity is ridiculously fun.

• @knewspeak said:

@Gavinski said:

I don't get this. I know jokes aren't funny when u have to explain them, but please do 😂

• @Gavinski said:

@knewspeak said:

@Gavinski said:

I don't get this. I know jokes aren't funny when u have to explain them, but please do 😂

Eno?

• edited September 2020

Hahaha. OK, Eno would have been a clearer reference. Even though that's a surname and Brian is a first name. But if you'd used his middle name - if he even has one - I'd have been even more lost. Yeah, ivcs3 is one of those apps I have but haven't got round to trying to understand yet. That said, apesoft is one damn amazing developer, take advantage of this sale peeps! I did videos on Stria, Moebius and Electric already, I'm sure I'll get round to doing ones on the others at some point.

• Mood is nice, lots of possibilities > @Lil_Stu07 said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

I haven't dug into it yet. I opened it up and it was already playing a tune and took me a couple minutes to figure out which screen I needed to be on top turn it off. So it has at least 2 voices. Which in itself is pretty dope. When you first launch it it asks if you want to go through the tutorial so I imagine it will take some time to become comfortable with it.

Good to know. Thanks to the others for additional videos and such.

• @wim said:

@Poppadocrock said:

@Lil_Stu07 said:

Oh hell no. It’s about the least intuitive beast I’ve ever messed with. Fortunately there is a comprehensive set of YouTube videos linked right in the app.

It’s hella fun to learn though, and sounds great. I’m addicted.

Thanks for the heads up. I’m behind on a few apps I need to dig into so might hold off for now.

• I may pick up ApeMatrix, but at least in the U.S., it seems none of the apps are actually 40% off regular price. ApeMatrix is $8.99, $3 (or 25%) off regular price of $11.99. ivcs3 is $9.99, $5 (or 33%) off regular price of $14.99. A few of the synths are $4.99 sale with $7.99 regular price, or 37.5% off, the rest seem to be 33% off. Just seems a little odd to announce that they're all 40% off and then have none of them actually be 40% off. . . . Am I missing something?

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@Lil_Stu07 said:

One nice thing about Ape Matrix is it saves the size and position of app windows with the session. Another is all AU parameters can be modulated with LFOs built-in to the app.

• Woah I was GASing iVCS3 only yesterday. More for the history lesson than anything, really was the first on a lot of things. Delia Derbyshire, BBC Radiophonic Workshop, that whole vibe is very appealing, didn't Aphex Twin use one at some point? I hear it's sonically pretty close to the hardware.

• The Accordion and Electric vintage apps are great. Highly recommended at this price

• edited September 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Hahaha. OK, Eno would have been a clearer reference. Even though that's a surname and Brian is a first name. But if you'd used his middle name - if he even has one - I'd have been even more lost.

“…if he even has one…”

Does Brian Eno have a middle name? Hah!
    Look it up. You’ll be glad you did.

• Peter George? I'm feeling I wasted a minute that I could have used trying to understand ivcs3 😂

• edited September 2020

Apematrix...

Big Pro: you can swap apps and keep the midi routing. Long press on, say, Accordion icon, tap Swap, pick your replacement app—it’s still keeps the midi routing from before. AUM needs this!

• @zilld2017 said:
    Apematrix...

Big Pro: you can swap apps and keep the midi routing. Long press on, say, Accordion icon, tap Swap, pick your replacement app—it’s still keeps the midi routing from before. AUM needs this!

+1! Lack of this is a huge pain in the arse in AUM. Plus the lfo thing mentioned earlier. But apematrix is limited by matrix size.

• How necessary do folks think the ‘Essential and recommended EMS modifications’ iap for iVCS is, and at £3.99, is it also a sale price?

• edited September 2020

@Krupa said:
    How necessary do folks think the ‘Essential and recommended EMS modifications’ iap for iVCS is, and at £3.99, is it also a sale price?

If you’re getting iVCS for the crazy unpredictable bleeps blurbs and blats in the first place, then yes, essential.

[EDIT: these are not created for keyboard control. Ya’ gotta twiddle those knobs! EDIT EDIT: and ride that stick!]

• @Krupa said:
    How necessary do folks think the ‘Essential and recommended EMS modifications’ iap for iVCS is, and at £3.99, is it also a sale price?

No it's not a sale price, I'm in this boat. I think it's eventually inevitable, just a question of now or later.

• Can we talk about some of the other ApeMatrix apps in the list? I looked up a few of them, like iDensity, iPulsaret, ApeFilter, ApeDelay. The descriptions are so sound-designer tech-speak, I'm not sure what they do or which I should try. I don't need another synth, but I'm always on the lookout for tone-mangling effects. Does anybody have experience with these apps and could you say a little more about what they do?

For example, I'm experimenting with converting the sound of my clarinet (real clarinet with piezo pickup) into other-worldly sounds that maintain the expressiveness of a blown instrument. Do I want Sparkle? Or iDensity? BTW, what's the difference between iDensity and iPulsaret. They both mention granular delay effects.

I also like mangling the sound of a grand piano (using the Ravenscroft 275 as my source).

I'm excited. ApeMatrix is the bleeding edge of iOS sound processing. But I'm overwhelmed. I'm probably not alone.

Thanks,

Steve