Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Do your IAA apps fail to close out/let go?

I haven't seen any threads on this forum that go to this issue, so maybe I'm the only one experiencing it (or using IAA, lol) but I consistently have problems with apps used as IAA not closing out. For example, I've had Turnado turning up as the app in the red recording bar at the top of the screen days after I've opened and closed it. I also experienced a similar issue with Addictive Synth this morning -- I had used it last night, closed it, but it was still appearing as if it was active. I've also seen this with Nave (if I recall correctly).

Usually powering down then back up again will address the issue, but I wondered if anyone had encountered this problem and whether it's a problem with the particular apps or IAA itself.

Comments

• It's a known IAA issue. Restart app outside IAA host and swipe up is the workaround.

• Thanks, but that doesn't always get rid of the problem for me for some apps.

• What IAA host are you using?

• edited April 2014

If manually opening the IAA app and killing it doesn't work (it really should though?), do a hard reboot. Hold down the power button and home button, past the shutdown slider, let go when you see the Apple logo. Should only be used as a last resort though.

Have you closed the host app as well?

• Also, some host apps allow you to remove the app from within. That would be first option.

• @mgmg4871 the most serious problems have occurred when using Cubasis with Effectrix or Turnado, but my most recent issue occurred with Addictive Synth and Audiohsare. I can't recall if I've had the problem with Auria. I will try and keep better track of things.

Also, when you say, "Restart app outside IAA host and swipe up is the workaround," do you mean unload the IAA from the host, start it outside of the host, and then close it (swipe up), then load it back into the host?

@ChrisG yes, reboots usually clear the problem up, but as you point out, that should be the last resort.

• @mgmg4871 said:

Also, some host apps allow you to remove the app from within. That would be first option.

for sure -- that's always my first step, to always use the host app removal. then I swipe up to kill it again! ;-)

• edited April 2014

Close the host by swiping it away.

Open the IAA app(s) you're having issues with by tapping the app icon. Once it's opened, kill it by double clicking the home button and swipe it away from the multitask window/bar.

• A good thing to have if you use a lot of IAA is a system monitor app that shows a list of all processes running. Just download any free one from the AppStore , like this one : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sys-activity-manager-for-memory/id447374159?mt=8

• @papertiger Yes, that's what it meant.

• thanks, guys -- hopefully these additional tips will help and I can get back to using all of my apps and not just the ones I'm not scared will crash.

• @ChrisG said:

A good thing to have if you use a lot of IAA is a system monitor app that shows a list of all processes running. Just download any free one from the AppStore , like this one : https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sys-activity-manager-for-memory/id447374159?mt=8

thanks -- that's actually the one I downloaded after reading about how useful system monitors were in another thread on this forum. :)

• @mgm4871 @ChrisG thanks to you both as the tip you provided has helped a great deal. I still get screwy behavior from Turnado, though.