Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Roli Noise AU

When this came out, I dismissed it as a way to sell sound packs. I slept on it when it went AU. But somebody mentioned in the DrumJam revival thread that the Noise AU was quite good.

It does seem that the high-end SWAM packs by Audio Modeling are NOT available in the AU. But there are dozens of others, and they sound not bad.

Are the Drum AU easily controlled by Ochtachron, for instance? Are the melodics playable?

Comments

• The Noise keyboard opens up in Cubasis. Many of the sounds are excellent. Don’t know about drums, tho.

• Have you bought any of the soundpacks? I fully realize this is like wandering into an outdoor store and announcing, Hey, maybe I'll take up fly-fishing, is there anything to buy for that?

• @ExAsperis99, yes I’ve bought a few and very happy with them. The store gives you demos of each pack.

Now that I touted the NOISE keyboard opening in Cubasis, I tried to open it on my 12.9 but can’t seem to find the Open arrow which is present on my 10.9. Anyone else have this issue?

• @LinearLineman said:
    @ExAsperis99, yes I’ve bought a few and very happy with them. The store gives you demos of each pack.

Now that I touted the NOISE keyboard opening in Cubasis, I tried to open it on my 12.9 but can’t seem to find the Open arrow which is present on my 10.9. Anyone else have this issue?

Hi Mike,

Please tap the full screen button located top right in the instrument rack.
    This should open the full view of the instrument including the keyboard.

Does this help to solve the problem?

Best,
    Lars

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    When this came out, I dismissed it as a way to sell sound packs. I slept on it when it went AU. But somebody mentioned in the DrumJam revival thread that the Noise AU was quite good.

It does seem that the high-end SWAM packs by Audio Modeling are NOT available in the AU. But there are dozens of others, and they sound not bad.

Are the Drum AU easily controlled by Ochtachron, for instance? Are the melodics playable?

That was me. The sounds are very good, but tend to already have a lot of fx on them, and the IAPs are very expensive. I mainly like it for the playable keyboard, and for the drums. The drum pads are great fun to finger.

I’m gonna give away my secret for evolving generative drum grooves that never repeat themselves here: Pull up one of the “groove” patches on Noise Drums. Send Rozeta Particles into it. Set Particles’ scale to chromatic, gate length to one bar or two. Adjust the other Particles sliders to taste. The two patches that come with the free level work great for this.

• If anyone figures out what the macros do on the Drums au, please let me know. I haven’t managed to get anything out of them yet.

• ALBALB
    edited September 2020

I think that I may have made a mistake in purchasing the SWAM Saxophones pack by Audio Modeling. Is this not available in the app? What am I missing? New to Noise. Is this a known problem?
    EDIT: I see now too late that the pack description for the above says it does not work as an AUV. How then would I be able to use these sounds? Or should I just request a refund?

• @ALB said:
    I think that I may have made a mistake in purchasing the SWAM Saxophones pack by Audio Modeling. Is this not available in the app? What am I missing? New to Noise. Is this a known problem?
    EDIT: I see now too late that the pack description for the above says it does not work as an AUV. How then would I be able to use these sounds? Or should I just request a refund?

Yeah, this is VERY frustrating. @ALB they're basically useless unless you play them out from one ipad into an audio interface and then into another device. Inside Noise itself you can do very little with them because Noise standalone is one of the most poorly designed standalone apps ever imo! That said, I'm a huge fan of many of the sounds in Noise. But yes, they are very expensive and I always wish we just had Equator on iOS instead of Noise.

• @Gavinski said:

@ALB said:

Yeah, this is VERY frustrating. @ALB they're basically useless unless you play them out from one ipad into an audio interface and then into another device. Inside Noise itself you can do very little with them because Noise standalone is one of the most poorly designed standalone apps ever imo! That said, I'm a huge fan of many of the sounds in Noise. But yes, they are very expensive and I always wish we just had Equator on iOS instead of Noise.

Ugh - refund it is. Thanks for confirming. Too bad - the sounds are really good.

• edited September 2020

Well - remember another option is to do screen records and extract the audio, but it isn’t fun. Wait for Geoshred update and/or Audio Modeling’s own app

• @ExAsperis99 thanks for this topic. I had a Seaboard which I was about to sell it .To my surprise I got a bunch of bundles for free, nice sounds and true MPE , unlike other apps
    Will keep the Seaboard :)

• @Gavinski said:

@ALB said:

It's a very cheap way of having SWAM instruments on a desktop Mac using IDAM, so don't write it off completely.

• I wouldn't write it off completely either. Like I said, if you have two iPads and an interface, it is also doable. But without doubt, it is such a pity they aren't accessible in the AU.

• Is Noise not working as an AU for anyone else? It works for me in that it will load and play but that’s all it will do. None of the on screen controls work or respond to touch. Including the button to change presets. So I can only use whatever preset it launches with lol

I’ve seen a couple videos recently of people using them though so I’m curious what everyone’s experience is. @Gavinski i know you use it occasionally. How is that going for you lately?

• @HotStrange said:
    Is Noise not working as an AU for anyone else? It works for me in that it will load and play but that’s all it will do. None of the on screen controls work or respond to touch. Including the button to change presets. So I can only use whatever preset it launches with lol

I’ve seen a couple videos recently of people using them though so I’m curious what everyone’s experience is. @Gavinski i know you use it occasionally. How is that going for you lately?

It's buggy but there is a simple workaround! After you load the app inside aum, bypass the app briefly by pressing on its icon and swiping left. Then swipe it back right and it will respond as it should.

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:
    Is Noise not working as an AU for anyone else? It works for me in that it will load and play but that’s all it will do. None of the on screen controls work or respond to touch. Including the button to change presets. So I can only use whatever preset it launches with lol

It's buggy but there is a simple workaround! After you load the app inside aum, bypass the app briefly by pressing on its icon and swiping left. Then swipe it back right and it will respond as it should.

Oh cool! About to give that a try. I love the way it sounds (and even have a couple of packs for it) but never use it because of that. Thanks!

• @HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

Oh cool! About to give that a try. I love the way it sounds (and even have a couple of packs for it) but never use it because of that. Thanks!

Been like that for over a year! Still usable but who knows for how long

• edited November 2023

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

@Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

Been like that for over a year! Still usable but who knows for how long

That definitely did the trick regardless so I appreciate that. I’ve just been letting it collect dust but it’ll be nice to use it for a change. Gotta take advantage of it. As you said, it could completely break at any time. 😆

• Hey,
    You just made me realize that Noise is working as AUv3 ! For an obscure reason, I was persuaded that it was only IAA but everything works perfectly as AUv3 (I did the trick which, in ApeMatrix, is just a off/on switch).
    Only SWAM viola is not listed in the « Fundamentals » instruments list, hence maybe the confusion.
    Thanks a lot because there are really incredible sounds here.

• @Paulo164 said:
    Hey,
    You just made me realize that Noise is working as AUv3 ! For an obscure reason, I was persuaded that it was only IAA but everything works perfectly as AUv3 (I did the trick which, in ApeMatrix, is just a off/on switch).
    Only SWAM viola is not listed in the « Fundamentals » instruments list, hence maybe the confusion.

No probs! Yeah the SWAM stuff is not available in anything other than standalone. That was part of the licensing conditions by Audio Modeling, Roli would certainly have enabled access to it in the AUv3 if they had had permission to.

• @Gavinski said:

@Paulo164 said:
    Hey,

No probs! Yeah the SWAM stuff is not available in anything other than standalone. That was part of the licensing conditions by Audio Modeling, Roli would certainly have enabled access to it in the AUv3 if they had had permission to.

Yes, and the Swam packs look much more interesting (diversified) ! What a pity…
    I tried to see if it was possible to buy additional content but, except « Fundamentals », the other packs don’t seem available for purchase. You probably need to have a hardware to unlock the content. Sorry if I rediscover already known territories.

• @Paulo164 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Paulo164 said:
    Hey,

I tried to see if it was possible to buy additional content but, except « Fundamentals », the other packs don’t seem available for purchase. You probably need to have a hardware to unlock the content. Sorry if I rediscover already known territories.

Not sure actually - I do have a seaboard but I doubt they would restrict it to seaboard owners. Maybe a good question for the Roli forum or the Roli reddit?

• @Gavinski said:

@Paulo164 said:

@Gavinski said:

@Paulo164 said:
    Hey,

Not sure actually - I do have a seaboard but I doubt they would restrict it to seaboard owners. Maybe a good question for the Roli forum or the Roli reddit?

Unfortunately they locked down the official Roli forum a couple years ago. It's read-only now.

• edited November 2023

Making the SWAM instruments not available in the AU was enough to put me off of buying any IAPs completely and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Not the best decision on their part. Are they trying to force people to buy their own apps to use them as Audio Units? Is that the thinking there?

• @HotStrange said:
    Making the SWAM instruments not available in the AU was enough to put me off of buying any IAPs completely and I’m sure I’m not the only one. Not the best decision on their part. Are they trying to force people to buy their own apps to use them as Audio Units? Is that the thinking there?

At that time their apps were not yet available, so I guess they were trying not to cannibalise their own desktop sales. You would definitely not be the only person who this annoyed, trust me, lol

• @Gavinski said:

@HotStrange said:

At that time their apps were not yet available, so I guess they were trying not to cannibalise their own desktop sales. You would definitely not be the only person who this annoyed, trust me, lol

It broke my brain at first because it comes with a couple of free SWAM presets and I could NOT figure out why I couldn’t see them in the AU. Thought I was going crazy lol. That’s a bit ridiculous tbh and does change the way I see the company slightly. Their sounds + the Noise keyboard would’ve been so cool as an AUv3.