Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mixer recommendations, please.

I recently got a good deal on Reverb.com for a NDLR. https://conductivelabs.com/

What I’d like to do is drive 3 or 4 synths with it and send the output to AUM.

I believe what I need is a mixer with USB capability. If this is not correct, please disabuse me of this notion. If it is correct, I will be glad to look into any recommendations you may have. I’d like to keep it under $200.

Thanks!

Comments

• No need for a mixer (unless you want to apply hardware fx). Any USB class compliant multi-channel interface will do.
    A 2nd hand Tascam US800 is probably one of the most affordable 8 channel units.

• @rottencat I think a sensible recommendation depends on the kit you already have - particularly the audio interface.

As @Telefunky says you could work with just a multi-input interface, I used to do this with a MOTU 828mk2 and Mac - the downside is no faders!

I’m about to complete a similar but larger rig, using my old Yamaha O1v mixer and I’m planning to buy an Audient Evo 4. I will use a patchbay in half-normal mode between synths and mixer so I can patch a direct feed to the Evo avoiding A/D-D/A through the mixer when recording.

(MIDI is already covered by an ESI M4U ex)

• AUM has lots of faders ;)
    But imho it‘s easier to add automation during mixdown anyway, in particular if you tune fx.

• I researched on this quite a lot, if you’re on a budget I’d say Soundcraft Notepad 12fx or Allen & Heat Zedi 10.
    I got the soundcraft but I’m returning it to get the zedi. I want to do “reamping” with external fx and the soundcraft is more limited in routing.
    If you just want to record synths to tracks you get 4 ins in both. The soundcraft has an effects engine with reverb, delays... whereas the zedi10 doesn’t (zedi 10fx is more expensive). Both are class compliant. I really like the soundcraft if it wasn’t for the routing thing I mentioned, it’s smaller too.

• Better to get an audio interface than a mixer.