Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Swinging midi from an app that doesn't have swing - SOLVED

edited September 2020 in Support and Feedback

Can anyone remind me what are the options to apply shuffle to midi from an app that doesn't have a shuffle function? Thnx! (shuffle = swing, just changed title to reflect this, swing is I think actually the more used term)

Comments

• Shuffle as in swing?

• Cality can do this by the way, but I want to know about other choices, cheers

• There's a Mozaic script on Patchstorage.

• Aha, of course there is, lol. Thanks I'll check it out!

• OK, this is a perfect solution, because cality was removing the accents from the incoming midi, this doesn't, great! Thanks to @_ki for another great Mozaic script

• Not to mention this gives a lot more control than your average swing setting, wonderful, will use this a lot!

• If you want something less about traditional swing and somewhere towards humanize, this script may help:

https://patchstorage.com/joc-lady-delay/

• Downloaded, and playing with it now. This is actually very interesting, but I don’t understand it very well at all from the description. Any way you could explain it more clearly? I’m not sure what the 9th and 10th sliders do btw.

@Jocphone said:
    If you want something less about traditional swing and somewhere towards humanize, this script may help:

https://patchstorage.com/joc-lady-delay/

• Ah, think I’ve got it. The 10th slider does nothing, right? The 9th just sets up the length of the sequence. Very cool.

• _ki_ki
    edited September 2020

That script was done on request by @ThinAirX . He approached me with several requests concerning the In-Order-ARP and swing was one of the features.
    To figure out how swing is working, i started the ‚Apply Swing‘ script. I am still working on implementing / testing the In-Order-ARP changes

While testing using the supplied AUM and other sessions, i first used fully linear interpolation of the swing-delay in regards of the time when a note note arrived - but this didn’t really work and sounded more like delay humanization.

Now the script applies swing-quantization to the notes that arrive in-between the 1/16th with no-delay and full-swing-delay. The width knob defines the ‚size‘ of the gap around the center between even and odd divisions where such interpolation takes place. If there is no gap (width=50%) then no intermediate swing will happen. With less than half of the division (width<30%) a 1/2 swing delay will be issued for notes arriving around this time. Making the gap even wider (width=10%) will result in three intermediate quantizations 1/3, 1/2 and 2/3 of the specified quantization.

Maybe an image might help:

Time flows from left to right, if a note arrives inside a while block it will not be delayed, if it arrives inside a
    green block, it will be delayed by the swing value setup with the swing knob.
    The width or gap knob defines the timespan in-between these two blocks, in the middle graph it is not wide enough for 1/3 or 2/3 beeing detected.

Even with a small gap of maybe 4% (width=49%) the 1/2 swing quantization would be applied to input notes arriving exactly at the center - but in real live tests, the timings can‘t be guaranteed so its better to make the gap wider so that notes issued ‚around‘ center division are quantized to 1/2 swing delay. This timing inaccurary i experienced also led to the minimum width of 10%.

I renamed the width knob several times (and changed its value range) while keeping the internal processing the same - so if someone comes up with an essier to understand name and value range... i’m happy update the script and its description :)

• @Gavinski said:
    Ah, think I’ve got it. The 10th slider does nothing, right? The 9th just sets up the length of the sequence. Very cool.

Yes, that's right. I should probably do a little update to make the labels a bit more obvious.

I wrote a few of these, each changing a different aspect like timing, velocity, pitch, rhythm so they could be mixed and matched as needed.

• Cality and a couple of Mozaic scripts, any other Midi AUs that add swing to other Midi AUs?