Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

could an AUv3 send LOAD PRESET messages to stand alone apps?

Would it be technically possible/difficult to make an AUv3 plugin that either does this for multiple apps, or alternatively, made by the developer of a specific app?

For example the maker of an App, say Soft Drummer / Patterning / Xequence could make a minimal AUv3 plug in that, when loaded in an AUM project, sends a message to the standalone app and says 'Load this preset'.

Although this doesn't get around the need to create individual presets in apps, It would be cool to load an AUM (or whatever host) project, and have it magically send 'Load Preset' messages to the whatever hosted apps are there. It would mean you could change songs in a live situation more quickly perhaps.

I know the future is AUv3 but I fear some things may never get there, or don't make as much sense being a plug in..

Just a crazy, wild idea.

Comments

  • Preset load for Synths is already in AUM - or i do not get the request right :smile:

  • @SimonSomeone said:
    Would it be technically possible/difficult to make an AUv3 plugin that either does this for multiple apps, or alternatively, made by the developer of a specific app?

    For example the maker of an App, say Soft Drummer / Patterning / Xequence could make a minimal AUv3 plug in that, when loaded in an AUM project, sends a message to the standalone app and says 'Load this preset'.

    Although this doesn't get around the need to create individual presets in apps, It would be cool to load an AUM (or whatever host) project, and have it magically send 'Load Preset' messages to the whatever hosted apps are there. It would mean you could change songs in a live situation more quickly perhaps.

    I know the future is AUv3 but I fear some things may never get there, or don't make as much sense being a plug in..

    Just a crazy, wild idea.

    There MIDI AUv3 whose output can be sent out of AUM to anything AUM can see.

  • Any standalone app that supports MIDI Program Changes would work. Such messages can be sent from AUv3s like Streambyter, Mozaic or soon also Imaginando LK.
    LK is recently developing into a very powerful AUv3 pattern based sequencer.
    The latest beta already has full automation of MIDI control including Pitch Bend, Bank Select and Program Change messages so you can add these at any point in your composition.
    My guess is that it's only a matter of weeks until these will be available in the public release.
    For now, this must be the most powerful AUv3 sequencer I know.

  • @MrBlaschke said:
    Preset load for Synths is already in AUM - or i do not get the request right :smile:

    Not sure... What I imagine is having an AUM file that has, for example, Soft Drummer, Patterning, etc loaded in it. And when I open that AUM file, some cunning plug in automatically sends a message to SD and Patterning instructing them to load certain presets.
    So instead of having to open my AUM file, then select the right preset in both SD and Patterning, those last 2 steps would happen automatically. So 1 opening step instead of 3, in this example.

  • edited September 23

    Yeah it's possible, I used to do this with streambyter sending midi program changes to IAA apps, but now that I almost always use AUv3 stopped doing it, but you could also do the same with hardware presets too.

    There is a thread about this in the apps tips and tricks with this process described.

    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30611/

  • Interesting. I'm a bit code-shy but I se the app is free so maybe worth a try

  • The above mentioned solution (program change messages) would only work assuming your preset list is fix and your instrument is equipped to interpret it (most IAA won't).
    Built in AUM solution only works with AUs.
    Proper solution could be midi sysex. But barely anything (other than hardware) can generate/read sysex.

  • @0tolerance4silence said:
    The above mentioned solution (program change messages) would only work assuming your preset list is fix and your instrument is equipped to interpret it (most IAA won't).
    Built in AUM solution only works with AUs.
    Proper solution could be midi sysex. But barely anything (other than hardware) can generate/read

    Right, i forgot about IAA :smile:

  • @SimonSomeone said:

    Interesting. I'm a bit code-shy but I se the app is free so maybe worth a try

    You could use Mozaic as well and it would be easier than streambyter probably.
    I think send midi program change on load is a feature on AUM wish list which might be implemented one day, but yes it depends on the IAA app and how good they are with program changes, there is a list somewhere which lists midi PC IAA apps. :)

  • @0tolerance4silence said:
    The above mentioned solution (program change messages) would only work assuming your preset list is fix and your instrument is equipped to interpret it (most IAA won't).

    Zeon does, all KORG synths do, Kaspar does, all Moog synths do...

Sign In or Register to comment.